• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 3 Gaming Rig [Help]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flyfunner5

Registered
1st post: I'm new, and a major pc noob
I want to build a gaming rig for upcoming Battlefield 3 by EA DICE [slated for Q3 2011]
The previous game, Bad Company 2 [console port] on the Frostbite engine is optimized for quad core, so BF3 [using Frostbite 2.0] will be the same
My friend recently built a pc 6 months ago for 800$ and will help me with this build, he went over major pc components with me and I get the gist
However, he does not know which brands to choose
such as: Intel, AMD, ATI for CPU and GPU and RAM and all that (can you guys explain the different brands and what they're good for?)
I need your help to build my dream pc

Budget: 1.0-1.2k
Plan: Build this in summer, around July/August
Start looking for parts now, total can be around 1.4k because it will probably drop down to my budget by the time I start buying parts
Below is a rig that someone configured for me. He said that he doesn't know about the mobo because of the recent Sandy Bridge recall so the one listed isn't compatible
Should I do liquid cooling or just regular on my budget?

Case:Antec 1200: 160$
CPU: Sandy Bridge 2600: 295$
What's the difference between intel and AMd and i3 and i5 and i7 and sandy bridge?
motherboard: Asus Sabertooth: 199$
hard drive: WD Black 1 TB: 90$
Power Supply: Corsair 850 (950w): 170$
video card: AMD 6950: 270$
RAM: GSKIL DDR3 1066 (8GB): 80$
DVD: Meh, whatever: 20$
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper212+: 30$

Total
1313$

Any cases that you guys know of that has like a TRON design?

Oh, and anyone decent @ computer graphics design (like photoshop) willing to help me with my avatar?

Last edited:
Oh, and what do you guys think of the R.A.T. 7? I love the look and the fact that it's the most customizable mouse I have ever seen.

However, there have been negative reviews about it not tracking correctly on some surfaces and a tilting problem from side to side.

:welcome: to the forums Flyfunner5

Since you aren't buying for a while it would be tough to see what exactly you'll get.. but your list is a great start. Some of my suggestions (based off your list) would be:

1 - CPU: Sandy Bridge 2600K (over vanilla 2600) - its overclockable and should come out just fine from the current issues that have it temporarily on hold for sale

2 - RAM: g.skill cas6 or cas7 ram 4GB (8 shouldn't be necessary, but if you want it get it) - lower cas timings make for quicker responding ram.. it costs more, but worth the price IMO

3 - HDD: WD caviar black 1tb is fine, but SSD prices are coming down and should be more affordable by the time you buy.. look at getting the WD as a storage drive and getting an OCZ Vertex2 (or maybe 3 by then) 120GB or higher SSD. OCZ and Intel have the better read/write times than most others.

4 - GFX: Currently the 6950 would be a great buy, but by the time you're ready to get a card the prices on 570/580s should come down and be within your range. Also not every 6950 is guaranteed to bios flash into a 6970 (if thats why you have it picked out)..

The rest looks good and interchanges well with my changes.

AMD and intel are two different manufacturers. Currently at the high end intel is producing faster chips, but at the low end you can usually get a little more value (at least in my experiance with AMD) There are many fanboys of both sides, and performance and price swing back and forth generation to generation.

Core i3, i5 and i7 are intels offerings for different markets. i3 is the budget processor that is a little slower (generally used for budget computers, netbooks ans such), i5 is the midline processor (used for midline desktops) and i7 is there performance line of processors (used for gaming computers and workstations).

Sandy bridge is the second generation of i3, i5 and i7 processors. There are some changes to processor architecture (how the processor does things) to make it faster. Sandy bridge processors are still categorized by i3, i5 and i7. So what you are looking for specifically is a "core i7 - 2600k" processor. newegg will also label them with Sandy bridge.

Every time intel or amd releases an update to their processor architecture, the new processors they produced are given a name. This is where sandy bridge comes from. It is also what people are referring to if you ever see someone talk about a Lynnfield core or a Clarksfield core. Sandy bridge is just the newest version.

Often these different versions will use different sockets. Sandy bridge processors use socket 1155, so you need a socket 1155 motherboard. There will be better information on whats available for motherboards when you are looking to actually get you computer.

Intel and AMD both make high quality processors who is better just depends on the year, really you just have to do some research either by asking people or looking at bench marks. Same goes for AMD vs Nvidia for graphics cards.

Hey FlyFunner5!

Welcome to the forums!

I guess it all depends on when you want the pc ultimately. If you want to build one now. Then you have your parts list pretty much set to go (except I don't think Asus has made a Sabertooth mobo for 1155 cpus yet but I could be wrong).

If you aren't in a hurry, you could wait like the guys posted above and whats out there closer to launch time and possibly get more for your 1.2k budget!

I personally would go with ram that clocks around 1600.. Seems like the sweet spot to me for pricing and speed. :)

Sandy bridge is the second generation of i3, i5 and i7 processors. There are some changes to processor architecture (how the processor does things) to make it faster. Sandy bridge processors are still categorized by i3, i5 and i7. So what you are looking for specifically is a "core i7 - 2600k" processor. newegg will also label them with Sandy bridge.

So is there a difference between just the Sandy Bridge core i7 - 2600 and the 2600k?

Not to be rude, but if you are building in the summer, you should probably post back then. Things change sooooooooo frequently that a build now will be nowhere close to what you build in the summer. that said, good start, but when you are a month out would be the best time.. New CPU's and new GPU's are likely to be out by then not to mention how different the pricing would be. ;)

The difference between the 2600k and 2600 is that the K series has an unlocked multiplier allowing you to overclock, vs the non K series does not so no overclocking on that.

Last edited:
Since you like Tron, here is a keyboard and mouse made for Tron by Razor (its very expensive though)
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/22/razers-tron-mouse-and-keyboard-get-priced-and-semi-dated/
This keyboard and mouse paired with a PC case with blue leds would be totally tron like :)

You could also mod a case to look like it came out of Tron
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-of-the-month/2010/11/12/mod-of-the-month-october2010/7
http://www.microcenter.com/random_a...b.html?BrCs=498&BrCg=16184188&BrRc=1100265761
Plenty of time before the summer :)

Using straight lines of El Wire you could make any case tron like
http://www.elbestbuy.com/
Or Cold Cathode tubes
http://www.xoxide.com/coldcathodes.html

Last edited:
There have been some posts on the official BF 3 EA UK forums about system upgrades and I want to comment but when I try to log in it takes me to a blank page. I'm using chrome and I even tried it on firefox and IE and still no luck. Any ideas?

I have the cyborg rat 7, and I love it. It tilts sometimes but thats due to the rubber on mine being worn out a little or your hand is putting too much pressure. If it stops tracking correctly then you can just blow in the little hole in the bottom to get the dust out. I would recommend a flat hard mousepad like some of the steelseries ones.

Make sure you plan for an OS you will need at least Vista to run BF3 (from what i have read)

Yea I have Win 7. They said that BF3 will dx-11 so it won't support xp. But I'm putting in Win 7 for free so it won't hinder the budget

I would be very surprised if BF3 didn't run on XP. DX -11 also effects video cards like my 4870's which are DX 10 cards.

Devs have already confirmed that it won't be able to run on XP multiple times and in interviews

Okay it's summer
I've learned a lot since i last posted (from battlefield 3 ea uk forum, pc subsection// and some research)

New New one

How's that look?
I'll be picking up the case from Tiger Direct store (so I don't have to pay shipping to EGg)
i'll be getting the sniper for 75$ (so save 20$) through the memorial day sale
Also getting the 212+ w/ free shipping for 29.99$ from Amazon, so another 10$ saved
So total to newegg=1154$ (excluding shipping??), probably with shipping, i'll be @ my 1.2k USD budget

And some unanswered questions:
What are the bronze/silver/gold 80+ certifications for PSU? Is it bad mine is only Bronze?
Everything is compatible?

Again, as some people have said. Technology changes quick. With Bulldozer and perhaps a new generation of graphic cards around the corner, your list will be completely outdated by the time BF3 turns around.

That being said, hard drive, PSU, Case, DVD Drive, and RAM technology doesn't really change. New SSD/GPU/CPU/Motherboards will be out, and the cooler needs a bracket to support the motherboard, so hold out on that.

Again, as some people have said. Technology changes quick. With Bulldozer and perhaps a new generation of graphic cards around the corner, your list will be completely outdated by the time BF3 turns around.

That being said, hard drive, PSU, Case, DVD Drive, and RAM technology doesn't really change. New SSD/GPU/CPU/Motherboards will be out, and the cooler needs a bracket to support the motherboard, so hold out on that.

But how's it look for today's standards?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104099&Tpk=Aurum AU-700
Also, how's that PSU vs mine?
I don't get diff. between gold and bronze
Gold is more efficient? If so, why is the one that I listed cheaper than the one in my list

i have NEVER heard of FSP. Go with something reputable like seasonic or corsair. NEVER EVER EVER skimp out on the PSU.
Efficiency rating is like well efficiency. Gold is highest which means like some seasonic psus are gold rated certified. They can be tested and rate up to loads higher than the actual rating.

Back