• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this for a boot time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I run raid in everything so I have slow boots as everything initilizez but this is a non raid boot. How good is it?

its pretty slow=(( what are your system spec's? an ssd would blow your mind my laptop starts in under 7 seconds, w/a ocz 120 GB SSD ,i7 cpu ,and 8gb of ddr3 ,my main rig is a bit slower to boot more like 15 sec but it has a bunch of HDD's in there with the SSD.

its pretty slow=(( what are your system spec's? an ssd would blow your mind my laptop starts in under 7 seconds, w/a ocz 120 GB SSD ,i7 cpu ,and 8gb of ddr3 ,my main rig is a bit slower to boot more like 15 sec but it has a bunch of HDD's in there with the SSD.

7 seconds?:chair: POST generally takes longet than that. I have never seen anything boot to windows from the time the power button is pushed until all the drivers are loaded and you are linked to the internet in less than 30 seconds.

id post for you but then i would have to actually open a you-tube account and break out the cam lol.but here is a few other ppl with similar setups my bios post in like 1 sec on this you dont even see the screen.(sorry im lazy lol)

http://www.inquisitr.com/39677/boot-windows-7-in-just-10-seconds-dbp/

I trust the #2 video there. My issues are partly because I dont focus on boot times:) But I gotta say those are fast.

That was actually a net-top styly system.

POST time is very system dependant. I'd say the fastest it's possible to boot into windows would be as soon as the colors come together, and you're at the log-on screen. I think the windows logo slows the whole process down.

You want a fast boot? Watch any benchmarking rig boot into Xp. From the time the xp loading screen it up to usable in windows, is typically 5-10 seconds. POST however can take a bit longer, since it's system dependent.

7 seconds?:chair: POST generally takes longet than that. I have never seen anything boot to windows from the time the power button is pushed until all the drivers are loaded and you are linked to the internet in less than 30 seconds.

Check this out , and if you're not patience, just jump to 1:30 to see the boot time -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662308 ;)

Edit :
Grab yourself a copy here, its freeware -> http://www.bootracer.com and post your result here.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Check this out , and if you're not patience, just jump to 1:30 to see the boot time -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662308 ;)

Edit :
Grab yourself a copy here, its freeware -> http://www.bootracer.com and post your result here.

attachment.php

I have a copy:) My main rig is decked out with two raids and that adds a bit of time to my boot as well as loading AV, Steam, BOINC, The weather channel desktop and all that other crap. I could shave it to under 40 seconds but the current 69 is fine on my main rig.

I will not purchase an SSD because I dont need one and the time they save is not worth the short lifespans. Just my opinion on that.

Take that boot and compare it to an ATOM based HTPC system and then how does it look?

Not worth the short lifespan? Wut?

Anyway, thats a slow boot. Over 40 seconds to desktop and 1 minute till teh icons flash... Im also under 30 seconds from power on to as you put it, connected to the internet (single OCZ Vertex 2).

With SSD, youll load as soon as the thing spins around the windows logo, itll goto login and immediately to the desktop with everything loading within 1-2 seconds.

You need ssd :) Why keep upgrading the rest of the system when the HDD is basically the same thing as it was 6-8 years ago?

I have to say. That boot is a bit on the slower side of things.

When I use a SSD, I get much fast boot times on my clunker Q8200/ With the Raptors installed. It is still faster.

Heck, my server with regular drives boot faster.

I use manual IP's for my machines. It seems to help a little bit with boot times. Plus making sure no drivers are booting and not leading to anything helps also. driver and IP hangs, really slow things up.
Them are the two things I think make a machine slow boot. Apps usually load after the system is up. The only app, that is before that and acts like a driver is a some virus/malware scanners also software firewalls..

I expect to get 10-25 second (Windows) boot times with regular drives on Windows 7. SSD I expect 5-15 seconds. Which is spin to Win. The BIOs does nto count IMO. That is the hardware initializing, which is not Windows booting.

With SSD, youll load as soon as the thing spins around the windows logo, itll goto login and immediately to the desktop with everything loading within 1-2 seconds.

You need ssd :) Why keep upgrading the rest of the system when the HDD is basically the same thing as it was 6-8 years ago?

SSD for me is just pathetic ROI. I dont need one. This was for a review not a personal system. I assure you, if it had been mine, the boot would have been much slower.

Here is a question. Can an SSD make my CPU faster? Can it help me encode faster? Can it give me better frame rates? Can it give me more storage space than my HDD for the same money? NO! I dont need to waste my money on one. Better to have 16G of ram and a 465 in my HTPC.

Last edited:
SSD for me is just pathetic ROI. I dont need one. This was for a review not a personal system. I assure you, if it had been mine, the boot would have been much slower.

Here is a question. Can an SSD make my CPU faster? Can it help me encode faster? Can it give me better frame rates? Can it give me more storage space than my HDD for the same money? NO! I dont need to waste my money on one. Better to have 16G of ram and a 465 in my HTPC.

It will make any task that reads to the drive a lot faster.
Will it make a CPU faster ? No but if I was asked what is a better upgrade the fastest CPU or the fastest SSD for me I might go with the SSD.
My online games load faster which gives me an advantage over others. I load a map and enter it faster than anyone else so I get free range of any vehicle I want. I also get to the first flag before anyone else = more points. I know this might not matter to you but I am just trying to show some of the many benefits of an SSD.

i think windows just feels snappier with a SSD drive ,i mean you click something and boom its loaded,no...hey did i click that....still waiting....ahhh it loaded..lol and if your like me you install and uninstall programs alot well that is so fast sometimes im not even sure it installed properly or not..old HHD's are great for storage but thats about it..i think what an ssd will do for your system will surprise you it dont matter what cpu/ram you have if your waiting for stuff to be read from your platters all the time.

About BIOS boot time... is an UEFI faster than the old BIOS? Can it be configured for fast bootup?

I have laptops that fly through the BIOS POST in about 1 second. Pain in the butt if you're trying to get into the BIOS to change things up...

About BIOS boot time... is an UEFI faster than the old BIOS? Can it be configured for fast bootup?

UEFI is designed to replace BIOS entirely with improved POST and other functions, which would allow PC to boot faster. The improvement could be as much as 10-15 seconds quicker from power on to loading OS.

Get UEFI mobo, 2x SSD drives in RAID0, install OS, watch it go from power on to desktop in less than 20 seconds :burn:

Back