• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first i7 950 SMP WU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

The fan in our furnace decided to quit yesterday (right in the middle of a friggin Canadian winter). I'm using that as an excuse to start folding and warm up my room with my new i7 :p

No bigadv flag set because I do quite a lot of gaming and I'd hate to miss the deadlines on those.

Running the 6.34 client with the -SMP flag set, what should I expect for frame times and PPD (full specs in sig - CPU @ stock speed)?

Top of my head i would say 10k for smp and 8-10k for gpu so around 20 k total. F@H site has pretty good charts on the different clients. You have a good motherboard, ebug, so a 4Ghz overclock would not be very hard especially with your cpu. Running 4Ghz with -bigadv should get you more like 25k for the cpu alone. Good luck!

The fan in our furnace decided to quit yesterday (right in the middle of a friggin Canadian winter). I'm using that as an excuse to start folding and warm up my room with my new i7 :p

No bigadv flag set because I do quite a lot of gaming and I'd hate to miss the deadlines on those.

Running the 6.34 client with the -SMP flag set, what should I expect for frame times and PPD (full specs in sig - CPU @ stock speed)?

Clocked at 3.8 you shouldn't miss -bigadv deadlines at all(I may be wrong)

one of our i7's here 930 clocked at 3.6 with 4gb ram completes with 55% left

Top of my head i would say 10k for smp and 8-10k for gpu so around 20 k total. F@H site has pretty good charts on the different clients. You have a good motherboard, ebug, so a 4Ghz overclock would not be very hard especially with your cpu. Running 4Ghz with -bigadv should get you more like 25k for the cpu alone. Good luck!
I'm already :drool: at the thought of 4GHz. I definitely need to pick up a new HSF before I consider overclocking this beast though. Currently using the stock one and load temps are ~65C

Clocked at 3.8 you shouldn't miss -bigadv deadlines at all(I may be wrong)

one of our i7's here 930 clocked at 3.6 with 4gb ram completes with 55% left
I guess with 55% leeway I have time for quite a bit of gaming :D

I think I've asked this before but just in case...is ctrl+c (in the cmd window) a "safe" way of shutting the SMP process down?

I frequently game while folding.
I do pause GPU folding while gaming though.

You could always run -smp 7 -bigadv
I also set my ram usage to 4400mb with 0 issues.

BTW best bang for your buck HSF is the Hyper 212. Ive seen them online for as low as $20. Supposedly just as good as a Megahalem.

Back