• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
im in the proccess of building a bong cooler, and i dont know how i should make the base or a rez in the base? i kinda want to make it clear so i can see my waterlevel.... i was gonna use a glass caning jar... my bongis made of tin cans stacked then i made a wye with 2 of em and put a fan inside it...ill post pics if i get my camera workin after i finish it....
im usin a old showerhead..... just stuff i find laying around...

or how should i make the base?

and is glass drillable? so i can put some fittings on it?

*edit* and i want to put some kind of base so it stands freely real good.... so i dont havta worry about it tippin...

and what is the best method of fillin them? and how often do i have to do fill it? like the average # of hrs?

and how full should i have it? would a thing thats about 2.5inches highx8x6 work?

come on dudes and dudetts!!!
i wanna finish my bong! and hopefully use it today!!!

DAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were building another bong cooler, I would use an 18 gal Igloo ice chest. The drain spigot is perfect for 1/2 PVC plumbing. Costco has them cheap.

Dude, you'll want the bong reservior as big as you can get. Mine only holds about a gallon or two and I have to refill it daily.

You need special drill bits to drill glass, but you can drill the main tube above the glass and push an extra piece of waterline inside the threaded end. Make this tube the length you need to reach the bottom, and you could also cut off the end at an angle to keep waterflowing into it okay. This is how I did mine cause I didn't want to bore that big hole through the double thick pvc joint mine has at the bottom.

This way you can make the bottom out of anything you want, and decrease the chances of leakage.

Can you find one of those huge glass jars like commercial kitchens use? They hold a couple of gallons....

i dont really want a huge rez, my bong is like 3ft high with a 80mm old panaflow painted silver.... its actually inside the tubing, i cut all the sq thing off and made it fit.... and it looks pretty cool...

i was hopin something to drain and be movable and doesnt take up a lot of space....

how long would a gallon last?
would i submerge the bottom of the bong into the rez? or would i just put it on top?

and its gotta be something i would have laying around.... cuz i have no cash to spend...

i actually made my bong out of tin cans like that holds tomato soup and stuff....

Well, seing as it's made out cans, I wouldn't run the bong tube all the way to the bottom, You might start getting rust. Just poke it into the res about an inch, then glue it there.

My bong uses about 3/4 of a gallon per day, but it's dry here in the winter, and my computer spends most of the day on. (like 10am to 5 am, wife and I on different schedules)
It depends on your local humidity and your setup as to how much water you'll go through.

Keep searching around the garage, your bound to find something that no one will miss....:D

I made a bong in stainless steel.
To see waterlevel I drilled a hole nera base and another hole 3" up. Then I welded 1" long pipes in the holes so I can put a see through hose from one hole to the other.
Now I see the water level through the hose.

im sure the cans are some kind of rust resistant, because they hafta keep the food for how ever long....

i think i mite just make the bottom like with a can and put a rez on the side? so that it only gets watter when the water goes below the tube from the rez? sound like a good idea?

oh yea, do you guys use distilled or just tap water with your bongs?

I use tap water, but have to boil it because of all the minerals dissolved in it. I use, of all things, and electric Wok. Yeah, go ahead and laugh...I do to. But it boils water fast, and because of the shallow depth it cools off fast too. Plus the ol' lady don't gripe cause I'm taking up her 'space' in the kitchen.

When the water cools off, I run it through a coffee filter to get the white chunks out that settle on the bottom...about a tablespoons worth per half gallon. That would wreak havoc in my poor bong if I didn't boil/filter. Makes me wonder if my back yard would make a good gypsum mine or something.:D

Most people I've seen here just use regular tap water.

i think ill just use tap water and soap..... soap for the surface tension.... and only a VERY LITTLE

ok i took a few pics of what i have so far...want advise!!!

the fan that i modded and put inside instead on it!

my filter that i took from an old humidifier

Actually, it's looks pretty cool..kind of a ghetto chic :cool:

Just one caution: If you get algae in it, I wouldn't add bleach...it reacts poorly with galvanized metals if that's what's use on tin cans now days. It'll give ya big ol honkin crystals growing on the metal. I did this once, and it attacked a galvanised pipe union in my system. The crystals grew so thick, it almost closed the diameter of the 1/2" npt pipe.

Any luck finding a reservior?

Back