• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P67 mobo in general?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
May be taking a trip into Detroit area next week which means Microcenter for me. Is there a general P67 mobo to look for or to avoid for building my rig and overclocking 2500k? I have a bunch of cheap PCIe video cards so onboard video isn't needed (skipping Z67 that hasn't released yet)

I'll be picking up 2500k CPU if there's a good sale or combo deal with non crappy mobo.

I believe they're all good. Pick the cheapest one that has the features you need. Looks like you have SLI, so that's going to limit your choices a bit. I believe the MSI P67A-G45 is the cheapest SLI option. At least it is at Newegg. I don't know about Micro Center.

Most any midrange boards will meet your overclocking needs. I would stick with P67 (H67 allows onboard video and doesnt overclock well at all).

Im assuming since you mentioned 'cheap pcie' video cards you will not be going SLI?

The mother boards are never just all good. People have had issues with the base p8p67. Some people find the Gigabyte UD4 buggy. Some people don't like the fact that the Giga boards don't have a UEFI bios (graphical interface bios with mouse support). There is a Sabretooth 4 phase as well as an MSI 4 phase mobo that you should avoid as that's not really going to keep your 5Ghz overclock solid for years to come. Also You need to consider whether 16 total PCIE lanes is enough for you. I'd get a board with the NF200 chip. Even though it's a bit laggy and isn't a huge improvement, it does give you additional lanes, even if they're slightly gimpy, and that's good for, say, your massive amount of SSD drives not hogging up too many PCIE lanes, or say you want to run 2 GPUs and a Revodrive and a 2.5" SSD etc..

Traditionally P67, at the chipset level, does 16 total lanes meaning 2 graphics cards will run 8/8 default. A lot of other things eat PCIE bandwidth too, like extra SATA and USB3 controllers, etc.

It's only an issue to consider for the power user who wants to have 2 GPUs+.

I've had MSI and ECS mobo blown up from overclocking. I was wondering if there were general idea of what to avoid or what to get that isn't likely to cause problem like MSI and ECS.

Im assuming since you mentioned 'cheap pcie' video cards you will not be going SLI?

64MB video card pulled from Dell POS (not Point of Sale, the other POS) that predated SLi and Xfire by a couple years. I couldn't say no to 10 PCIe video cards for $25 since it'd get me video until I get money to get real video card.

I've had MSI and ECS mobo blown up from overclocking.

It's interesting that you won't consider these brands since as Theocnoob pointed out, even big-dog ASUS has been a bit of a whipping boy with P67. Would I still buy an ASUS board? Absolutely. BLCK overclocking is dead and SB overclocks at very low voltages. Very little is required from the board if you're not going SLI. Every manufacturer is going to have lemons.

Take for example the cheapest ECS P67 board (out of stock at Newegg). Reviews have people going to 4.6 GHz on the thing. No explosions reported yet. MSI's boards are being reviewed positively everywhere and their base VRM setup is 5, not 4. More than enough to overclock SB.

Good luck.

Asus boards only do ATI crossfire and MSI does both SLI/crossfire if it makes a difference.
Most Microcenter bundles Ive seen are with a ASUS. I'm running a MSI P67A-GD65 with a 2500K @ 4.8 1.37v 24/7 without issue. I had it at 5ghz for awhile but with the video cards I'm running there is no point for even 4.8ghz. Great chip for 200$.

I picked one of these up and I like it a lot. great price and its been running 100% load at 4.2GHZ for a week on the stock cooler(Folding). Just to make sure it wasn't a dud. It ran fine at 4.4GHZ for 2 days as well. I can recommend this Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 I have 2 of the 4GB kits.

Putting a better cooler on tomorrow and I'll spend the weekend OCing.

I couldn't tell it had been opened, everything was included.

Last edited:
I believe they're all good. Pick the cheapest one that has the features you need. Looks like you have SLI, so that's going to limit your choices a bit. I believe the MSI P67A-G45 is the cheapest SLI option. At least it is at Newegg. I don't know about Micro Center.

I just built a new system using this exact MB from Newegg but with a vanilla i5-2500 (I have no desire nor news to OC) bc I wanted to leave Crossfire option open. Stable all around and 4 USB 3.0 ports in back (2 on I/O panel and 2 add-on bracket) = plenty. Can't go wrong with this unless you need 2 16X pcie slots in which case your looking at spending double the price... so ill just wait until the 5850 drops to sub $100 and crossfire if need be (most likely not though bc this machine handles just about everything with ease).

Now, if only SSD would drop drastically in price...

Back