• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolermaster Hyper212+ and AMD Phenom II 1090T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vlad721

Hi, i recently bought an AMD Phenom II 1090T and a Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus cooler for it, but either this combination is not a good one or I am overparanoid, however the cpu seems to run a little too hot from what i can tell.

With the cooler set to let the fan run at full speed all the time this is what temps i get:
Idle: 35-40 Celsius
Load: 51+ (i am saying 51+ since when testing the temps they never stabilized and kept increasing at the same step ~ 1 degree every other 3 minutes and it reached 50 degrees quite fast about 5 minutes).

Tested with Everest ultimate (v 5.30), ambient temperature about 18 degrees (somewhere between 18 and 20).
These temps are the latest batch since i have tested it several times after each test pulling the system apart and giving it a new coat of thermal paste (removed the old paste and attempted a different application method) and made sure the heatsink is positioned ok, I have tried both the thermal grease that comes with the cooler and some generic brand thermal paste in both case similar results were obtained. I have the cpu runing at it's default 3.2 (no OC), and a friend with the stock AMD cooler seems to get about the same temps as I do with the coolermaster.

One thing which strikes me as being odd is that the cooler's base does not seem to cover the cpu100% namely no matter what orientation i choose (n-s, e-w) there always seems to remain a short bit of the CPU's metallic case exposed one one side while on the others the base is right on the edge of the CPU (about 3 mm of the cpu) and no matter how much i tighten the bracket it still has some wobble to it.

Are these temps normal? Should i change the cooler?

In case i do change the cooler i have a choice between the following coolers:
Deepcool Icewind FS ( http://tinyurl.com/3ghkn4f )
Thermaltake Big Typhoon (http://tinyurl.com/4xe3hq2 )
Scythe Katana 3 (http://tinyurl.com/3ezwyzc)
Artic Cooling Freezer 13 (http://tinyurl.com/3strtlp)

I am only listing these coolers since these are the coolers that the shop i bought mine has in stock and i could trade in mine for. Are any of them any good or is it just money thrown out the window and i should go back to the stock cooler?

The rest of my PC is as follows:
MB: Asrock 880g-Extreme3
RAM: 8Gb Corsair 1600mhz
PSU: Sirtec 600W/Nox Urano2 630W/ Chiftec 500w (tested with all 3 PSU just to make sure that it wasn't related to the PSU being faulty)
Video:Gigabyte GTS 250 GV-N250ZL-1GI
Case: AZZA triton 410

Sounds like a bad mount or bad thermal goo application to me. Thats a good bang for your buck cooler. If that AMD is at stock speeds, I would imagine temperatures be less... What is your ambient temperature?

I wouldnt use any of those other PSU's in your system either. The best one you have is that hec.

Last edited:
as posted above ambient is somwhere between 18 and 20 degrees (and i rarely tend to have more than 23 degrees in the room).

I am willing to accept that i have a problem with mounting or goo application however the fact is that i have checked and triple checked both that the rear plate is fastened as good as possible and that the heatsink is mounted as best as possible (considering what i said that no matter how i place the heatsink there always seems to be a small part of the cpu's metallic case exposed) as well as making sure that the screws are as tight as possible (so that i have the best contact possible). The fan is positioned with the rubber tipped side towards the heatsink (pushing air onto the fins). Now regarding the goo i have tried the following goo application methods:
- grain of goo in the middle and spread it with the pressure from the heatsink
- small lines of goo on the base of the sink between the heatpipes
- x made of goo on the cpu
- grain of goo which i then spread evenly (or as even as possible) across the entire surface of the CPU

If i am missing something feel free to enlighten me since at this point I am quite out of ideeas as to what to try next or what exactly i am missing (i am sure i am missing something).

PS i forgot to include the link to my case in the previous post : http://tinyurl.com/3sr8ghv

Try running yourself a thin line of tim right along the heatpipe tubes instead of between them. That is the best way I've found to do these heatpipe direct touch (HDT) heatsinks. And this cooler should do much better than what you are seeing. I was able to adequately cool an i7 930 @ 4.0 with the stock fan installed and that processor at that speed is kicking out much more heat than your 1090T at stock speeds. I didn't test on an AMD system however, since I don't presently own one.

51 is not at the limit, whats your OC, CPU voltage, and what are you using for stress test...

Load up CPU-Z in one window, HWmonitor in another, then after letting HWM run for 2-3 minutes to establish a base line temp run Prime 95 small FFT for 15 minutes, take a screen shot, post it... ake sure we can see all 3 windows, make sure HWMonitor is running BEFORE P95 so we can see min, max, and curent temps...

EDIT: dont og back to stock....

I've taken the whole thing appart and tightened the screws even more (it would take some power tools to tighten them further at this point and would result in cracking the mobo), switched between the generic paste i used last time and went back to the CM provided paste.

Now all is stock no OC and did another test with everest (screenshot of results here: http://tinyurl.com/3vlocat) going to wait until the system cools down before i try the cpuz+hwmonitor+p95. Quick brakedown of the screenshot from the fresh boot it went in about 6 minutes to 50 degrees then from minute 10 to ~minute 20 it held stable at 51 and from minute 20 on it started to go back and forth between 51 and 52 and at about minute 25 it went to 52 and held until the end when i stopped it.

Mine hits 56 deg at 20 deg ambient temp when running prime95. I have a 0.025v increase on the Vcore. The Corsair A70 has a push/pull config with 2 120mm fans. The exhaust air off of it gets pretty warm when running prime. Other then that, there isn't much that can get the normal load temp past 46 deg.

I was going to get the 212 but decided to go with the A70 instead. You could maybe try another fan with a push/pull on the 212.

Also what type of thermal compound are you using? I used MX2 which I have been using for a few years now, It seems good.

Ok so i did the prime 95 test today with all at stock speeds (i never had any oc on it to begin with) and here are the results: http://tinyurl.com/3c5fxvg .... i am not going to comment on the results but suffice it to say currently i am looking at the damn thing and wondering why i even bothered with the CM in the first place

Later edit: http://i53.tinypic.com/2hn2fy0.jpg here's an alternate link to the results since the previous one seems not to work sometimes

Last edited:
dude SOMETHING is wrong, either you got a factory defect, your case has NO airflow, or your TIM is terrible... but plenty of people have used the 212+ with great results, 63 is absurd.... how much TIM are you using, have you cleaned the old off? Where is the cooler facing, what is your current fan configuration

That case is only a mid tower not full and comes with only 2 fans, is this the current configuration, if so filling the optional case fan slots may fix your problem quickly... it can hols up to 4 or 6 it appears, make sure the 212+ is indexed to blow towards the factory exhaust fan as well....

Well to answer your questions:
- i am using the CM TIM supplied with the cooler, applied it as muddocktor suggested short lines along the heatpipes on the base
- the fan is facing towrds the front of the case (blowing air through the heatsink towards the exhaust fan)
- before each attempt to reposition and reapply the TIM i have cleaned the old one off carefully from both the heatsink base and the cpu's metallic cover
- for now i am using just the 2 120mm fans (nothing else), cables are grouped in such a way as to occupy a minimum of space

As i said in previous posts there are a few things that bother me regarding this fan (besides the temperatures) namely:
- the fan seems to be about 3 milimeters (about 0.118 inches) shorter than the cpu's casing. To be more specific if i center 3 of the 4 edges of the heatsink's base right to the edge of the case then on the 4th edge there is this small space of the case which is not covered by the base at all
-even with the mounting bracket tightened as much as possible (without employing power tools and possibly cracking the mobo) the heatsink still has some small play (i can twist it slightly left or right)

At this time it is getting quite late here so i will postpone the 6th taking apart and rebuild for tomorrow and will add some pictures regarding the actual look of the thing

So your FRONT fan is your exhaust fan> And your rear fan is an intake fan? Where is your PSU?

In most cases front fans are intakes, rear fans are exhaust, power supply is by the rear (top or bottom) and the CPU cooler blows out towards the rear exhaust fan, take pictures of your case with the side cover off, you may just have terrible air flow....

Open your case, point a box fan in it. Retest. Problem solved? If no, read on, if yes, thank me. Since you're still reading i'm going to guess that the problem wasn't airflow. push down on the top of the heatsink? Did you see an immediate drop in temps? If yes, thank me, if no, read on. Wiggle your heatsink? How much play is there back and forth? Is there a lot? If none of these correct it, you may just have a bad chip, a bad heatsink, or a bad board. You've checked voltages and everything right?

The X shaped mounting bracket CAN be put on upside down and 90 degrees the wrong way. Make sure that it's little notch is keyed the right way so that when you tighten it down the bracket rests flush with the top of the base of the heatsink.

I have similar temps as you on a Phenom 9500 (52 load) @ 1.2v, but MY problem is the motherboard I'm using (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) has chipset heatpipe coolers that the 212+ slightly touches, inhibiting a full good mount and also transfering heat between the chipset HS and the CPU heatsink.

However I've never topped 55 even when ambients skyrocket (My buddies house).

This was with MX-4 and a Rosewill TU-155 case, which doesn't have the best airflow.

The base of the 212+ will never fully cover the IHS (integrated heatsink) of an AMD, but it doesn't need too, as the chip under the IHS is pretty much directly in the middle.

Open your case, point a box fan in it. Retest. Problem solved? If no, read on, if yes, thank me. Since you're still reading i'm going to guess that the problem wasn't airflow. push down on the top of the heatsink? Did you see an immediate drop in temps? If yes, thank me, if no, read on. Wiggle your heatsink? How much play is there back and forth? Is there a lot? If none of these correct it, you may just have a bad chip, a bad heatsink, or a bad board. You've checked voltages and everything right?

This should be stickied.... haha :clap:

I'ma make a flow chart one of these days.

can i hold you to that?

i had the same issue with the same cooler on an x58. The cooler master paste is lame. Artic silver and a total reseat did the trick. It took about 2 weeks for the temps to be super safe and thats with restarts and turning off the computer at night. The whole hot cold idea for me to cure the paste is true.

additionally i always just apply a small amount of TIM and slap the HSF on.

Back