• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to cool my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Savage1

Registered
I'm going to buy a new XP 1800+, a Soltek SL-75DRV4, and 2 256 MB sticks of PC2100. I may overclock this thing a little, but not to extremes. What kind of cooling do I need for the CPU? For the chipset? Can I run my older ATA 33 HD with this for a while?
Savage1

if you only want to overclock a little, the retail HSF may be okay, if not read the heatsink reviews on the front page.

Running that ATA 33 HDD will really crush your system preformance, i recomend you go with something better

That harddrive will slow it down like you wouldnt believe. You should look into a new harddrive as soon as possible.

cjlax5 said:
if you only want to overclock a little, the retail HSF may be okay, if not read the heatsink reviews on the front page.

Running that ATA 33 HDD will really crush your system preformance, i recomend you go with something better

I'm sure it will, but after $412 for the components listed, I'm not going to have $100+ for a new HD just yet, or anything else for that matter.
Savage1

ya trust me ata 33 will kill your systems overall performance. Trust me , i had to run my 1.2ghz athlon with an ata 33 for like 2 months, and it lagged so much, and stalled sooo much, once i got my 100 gig 7200, it was soooooo much faster. I reccomend you get a 7200 rpm hd. Go with what yodums suggested, 40 gig 7200 @ $85. or around $85.

I know it won't be fast

I just needed to know if it would run at all. If a new HD cost $30, I still couldn't afford it. I priced what I listed at $412, and that's $100 more than I can afford to spend. I'll HAVE to run the ATA 33 for now, okay?
Savage1

don't get me wrong

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just have a very limited budget. I'm going to get a new HD, and a decent video card, but they'll have to wait.
Savage1

trust me i understand completely, I was in the same boat not too long ago. So just do with what you can afford, and just get the luxuries when you have the cash. Thats exactly what i did.

Re: don't get me wrong

Savage1 said:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just have a very limited budget. I'm going to get a new HD, and a decent video card, but they'll have to wait.
Savage1

Whats your budjet?

Probably can get something like a GeForce 4 MX440 and a 40gig ATA100 Drive for 200.00 on the dot basically.

I think he's already given you a hint what his budget, he's in the exact same boat that i'm in right now. I have a $380 +/-$20 plan in mind and I'm cutting my budget by the skin of my teath. so I have to live with some old crud for a little while too, like a GeForce and an ATA66 20Gb HD for now. So get off his case.

Only spend what you can afford

Savage1 said:
Savage1
Actually your just being honest in my opinion. Don't worry about it too much. Not all of us have a ton of cash to blow on parts. Some of us even like to eat once in a while or ist it just me;)

bigfoot - Remove all the links in your sig & shorten it. The only ones allowed are to Folding & Seti.

PS Nobody should buy an GF4 MX xxx. It is not a smart way to go.

I have the same setup for the Mobo and CPU. I just got the Koolance case and am running the 1800+ chip @ 1725MHZ 1.8V and a 138FSB. It is very stable and the CPU temo is 30C. Koolance puts a thermoprobe in the CPU block so this temp should be accurate.

Back