• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II B40 OC (Athlon x3 unlock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demons

Hello,

I just got my hyper 212+ cooler today with two fans, so I decided to OC to see how far I could push my cpu.

so anyway, initially I thought my strategy would be to increase the FSB whiler reducing the multiplier, this would let me see my max FSB. I got lazy so I decided to ditch this by the end.

Anyway to cut a long story short i bumped up my fsb 5mhz each time and tested stability using prime 95 blend for 10mins (just as a rough indicator).
Anyway, I got to 250mhz with 14.5 multi giving me 3625mhz (at this FSB my HT link and RAM speed would be exactly the same at the beginning as I bumped them down one step at the start). At this point I got BSODs on start up. I bumped up the CPU voltage in increments to 1.4v and the NB volts to +0.1 (1.3 I think). At this point there were no BSODS, but the pc would crash at start up.

I've taken everything back one step so I'm at 247 *14.5, I havent checked for stability fully yet, but at 250 I dont think temps were the issue as atm after 10mins of P95 (when you can get a rough indicator), temps are at 43, with CPU voltage at 1.375.

Ok so I'm wondering, should I put my cpu multi back to 15?
and to get past 250 should I increase volts (considering it doesnt seem temps are an issue) and which ones should I increase?
Also whats NB VID voltage?

If your computer is crashing or locking up then something is wrong. From my experience I have always upped the multiplier and left the fsb the same as some do time themselves with the ram. The only time that you need to up the voltage is if your computer gets the blue screen or refuses to boot. WHEN YOU UP THE VOLTAGE OR FSB you have a chance of FRYING YOUR COMPUTER OR RAM FOR GOOD> My motherboard comes with auto options for all voltages as it is an easy overclock board. Consult your motherboard manufacturer and ram manufacturer for maximum reccomended voltage. I take no responsibility. good luck

get a good cpu cooler and chasis fan to help. I only bumped my system up +400mhs (3.3-3.7) and borderlands runs at full everything 62FPS. I have a 2500k, asrock h61m/u3s3, 4850 512mb, and a raptor. Good luck

Increase your CPUNB voltage to about 1.225 and our ram by about .05v.

What motherboard and memory are your using?

h61m/u3s3 is my mb. and memory is gskill 7-7-7-20-1t. My board is somewhat locked when it comes to overclocking and i have a stock cpu cooler. Even if I overclock the voltage on my cpu it won't let me overclock the multiplier any more than +400mhz (3.7ghz total) or fsb (x100mhz) so speed remains the same. Lame I know, but its still pretty fast.

yup hence the 61 chipset lol. overclocking of the cpu has the same basis. It doesn't matter what brand. like I said over-volting the cpu and upsetting the fbs to ram speed can screw up everything and cause your system to lock up or fry. If the fsb is faster than the ram is reading it can cause major lockups and bsod. I prefer to run at lower voltages and increase the multiplier before adjusting the fsb. If youre into further "tweaking" then look for those options if the temp/volts are right. toms hardware is a good website for resources.

im an amd guy that converted. most motherboards with the 2500k cpu have safeties that let you overclock without adjusting the volts (volts=fried) just leave everything to auto and you can overclock +400mhz which was huge for me or you can start messing with volts. If you have a good board you can overclock just the multiplier and everything else auto adjusts.

good boards have stock setting to overclock even with higher gains than +400mhz. I've heard of 3.3ghz stock reaching 4.8ghz STABLE!!!!

I meant to ask the question of the OP. I fail to see the point or the helpfulness to the OP of your first post.

I meant to ask the question of the OP. I fail to see the point or the helpfulness to the OP of your first post.

you said:
Ok so I'm wondering, should I put my cpu multi back to 15?
and to get past 250 should I increase volts (considering it doesnt seem temps are an issue) and which ones should I increase?
Also whats NB VID voltage?

I said:

careful upping the the volts you can fry your system. you should start with the multiplier.

Thats the point!

If your computer is crashing or locking up then something is wrong. From my experience I have always upped the multiplier and left the fsb the same as some do time themselves with the ram. The only time that you need to up the voltage is if your computer gets the blue screen or refuses to boot. WHEN YOU UP THE VOLTAGE OR FSB you have a chance of FRYING YOUR COMPUTER OR RAM FOR GOOD> My motherboard comes with auto options for all voltages as it is an easy overclock board. Consult your motherboard manufacturer and ram manufacturer for maximum reccomended voltage. I take no responsibility. good luck

Yeah that's the inherent risk in overclocking, but so long as your not doing something stupid like trying to pump 1.8 volts to your cpu and work in small increments you'll be ok. I've been overclocking every system I've had for years now and have never had a part fail on me due to overclocking. 'knocks on wood' In fact most of those systems where not black edition chips and where all done using the FSB. It can be done, but like anything else you'd better be making intelligent decisions, so get yourself informed before attempting these things. Using the auto settings for volts is not the optimum setting, auto tends to overvolt for the sake of stability, resulting in higher temps.

The op can't use the multi as it's a unlocked athlon which has got a locked multi so the only option is to oc using the fsb

Back