• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 64bit Premium page file on USB stick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here is what i think.

paging does so in very small portions , run a test of the flash disk writing and reading in random 4k sizes , most of them choke , but then so does a hard drive especially random.
run the same random 4k test on the hard drive.

what they do not say, is when you require paging MOST, it might be in 4k sections, but they did not cover having to page out a LOT at one time, while that would be small chunks, it could still be somewhat sequential, depending .

if ever paging was occuring at the Same time that the hard drive was being needed heavily. any different disk item might speed it up some.
if you load the worlds biggest picture into a photo program, and it sucks up all your memory and something from the memory gets pushed to paging.

The hard drive being active during the same task or a different task would make paging to it quite slow. this is why they normally recommend that the paging file ON the hard disk be in the same area as the data , the reduced head jump distance to get there. (situational)

It is most preffered that paging would be on seperate hard disk item that will NOT be doing anything when paging is occuring.

sometimes USB access can require more cpu, or clog up the communications going on behind the scenes, when doing your tests, note the CPU use, and general speed feel of the operations of the computer. higher cpu use, and clogged i/o from something that isnt as fast as an internal could negate the postive effect of the more random access.

and speaking of random, flash is not :) it is Block, that is why it doesnt do that much better than HD on random, and why sequential is still faster on flash.

you have 4 gig, not many things will even allocate a virtual of that size. and the minor paging that occurs putting some unused system stuff in is very small.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry if this is side tracked
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost

i dont know readyboost, but other than not having a dependance on the flash, it is paging. cache style, if it is not found in the flash then it jumps to the disk
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Ok if the paging has to be backed up on the disk, for this, then it must write to the disk (and the flash), so reads would be all cute and fast, but writes would be slow.

Last edited:
USB is roughly 20 MB/sec and the random seek of a flash drive is slow when you have multiple requests queued. You'd be better off leaving it on the drive, getting a SSD or using another mechanical drive for page filing.

Ok thanks for the input guys.So in my case putting the page file on my 40gig SSD would be better than on the 320gig regular drive?

Also while I'm at it,in the case of my son's rig that has a terabyte drive hdd,I should put the page file on the Windows partition or does it not matter unless it's on another phisical drive?

if it is on the same drive, yes, it mostly does not matter.
back to the head jumping , if somehow it is next to other data: When any paging is going on, then jumping back and forth between the paging, and whatever the hard drive was ALSO doing normally, would be faster.
so in that situaiton, they would put it in the middle of the data (not disk).

but when paging occurs, and the disk Was NOT doing anything else, the fast early cylinders would be faster (the front of the disk) .
and just to screw the whole thing, where the MFT table for the partiton is located too, as the drive has to jump to it for file operations also.

dont you just love paging questions, they can make 150 page long discussions, because it depends totally on when and how the paging would ever be used.
how the disk is partitioned, and then we add to that the MLC SSD write cycles, just for extra kicks.
then after precision alignment of it and having it perfectally tweaked, it gets used for a few megs sometimes, on system with adequite ram

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the input guys.So in my case putting the page file on my 40gig SSD would be better than on the 320gig regular drive?
To make sure the drive doesn't die early, I'd put the page file on a mechanical drive if I was using a SSD.

USB flash drives have fast random reads, but horrible write speeds, it will feel like a 386 SX!

Write speeds are easily something like an optical drive and around 5 MB/s.

USB sticks are good for *reading* only!

Last edited:
Win7 will not allow you to use a removable drive as a page file drive. It will not even show up in the dialog box where you choose what drive you want to put it on.

There may be some reg hack that would allow it but by default you can not even do it.

Win7 will not allow you to use a removable drive as a page file drive. It will not even show up in the dialog box where you choose what drive you want to put it on.

There may be some reg hack that would allow it but by default you can not even do it.

that explains where the "readyboost" comes in. This is getting much clearer for me now.
they dont want the system to be effected by removing critical items :)
so they team it up with the hard drive too.

It won't let you use USB flash drives but it will let you use USB hard drives. :shock: Not sure why the dev team thought it was ok to have USB HDD's as an option though.:confused:

Back