• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electro Magnetic Field / Computer/Cell phone causes headaches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

I just found out that a friend of a friend has switched back to an old flip phone vs. his smartphone, and was told by his physician to distance himself from electronic devices (which isn't possible considering his career).

I was trying to do some reading online last night to see if there is any truth to the whole EMF/radio waves/headaches/health problems thing and obviously am getting mixed responses.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing or have any informative links? For example - whenever this person is nearby (within 3-5 feet) of a laptop, they get a headache, or if they talk a phone, etc. I know it sounds crazy (this coming from someone (me) who probably spends on average 14+ hours a day in front of a computer or on the phone).

According to the World Health Organization, there is little scientific evidence to support the idea. Certainly high level of em fields could cause similar reactions, but consumer products don't give off those kinds of levels.

WHO

Scroll down to the part about em hypersensitivity. It talks about some of the research. Note that they don't say that it's not possible, just that it is not sustantiated. While the WHO is not perfect, I would trust their access to data and reporting of issues over most of the sites you would come across doing a search for em headaches.

Even if this works for your friend, that alone is not really evidence that it is true. It could be a result of the placebo effect.

Yeah, last I could find there is no known process that could cause something like that at the levels seen in electronics. As in, not only is there no evidence of it happening, there is no evidence that it is even possible to happen.

But who knows, maybe your friend has something special about him that makes it work?

My mom and my wife's uncle are sensitive to high EMF from cell phone, and no, this is not a conspiracy that trying to sue those cell phone makers out there.

They got headache when using smart phone when placed near their head, thats why they always switched to hands free mode when using it.

One interesting note, once at family gathering feast, we did a test by turning the phone into silent dan no vibration mode, holding it about 2" from their ear and made a call using that phone or call into it, without them seeing it, they could tell if the phone is active or not, its quite weird and interesting.

most of the RF goes spilling out the phone itself when actually transmitting.
on standby in your pocket next to your gonads , it is only standby recieveing most of the time
unless it is having to re-connect or seek tower over and over again. (and when calls come in)
the further you are from a tower, the more power the phone tries to use to transmit.
(if we let the manufactures spec them, they will just measure the ammount when next to a tower, problem solved)

its nothing to really worry about , but to be aware that it exists.
you only get a brain tumor , if you spend to much time with it stuffed to your head :clap:

the existance of the power comming from a phone, and from cell towers themselves, will always be Real and Actual, and undeniable, and mesurable.
the effect that has on humans is the only disputing factor , just like many things that exist.

and texting goes out in small fast single transmit bursts, so your thumbs are reasonably safe :cry:

smart people put the phone in the pocket next to thier gonads, and use Bluetooth next to thier head , Priorites man :p

the quantity of signal that reaches the user varies depending on the phone itself, not the style. bar type phone has a tendacy to sit closer to the person, but the ammount that reaches the person VARIES highly between phone items, like 4 times as much for some phone items. A good stong transmitting flip phone , could be as bad as. So a person being selective would want to get the actual ratings for the phone itself. and i can just about bet that the nice ones for RF , also are the ones that suck for making calls on them.

Last edited:
lol most things today emit an emf field of some kind wither it be natural or artificial..I know i do have have problems with my one leg where my cell phone sits in my pocket.. It feels like the phone is going off when i don't even have my phone or the leg twitches but it's just really weird but I am also allergic to black light and uv bulbs ...

The strange thing is it doesn't appear to be JUST cell phones - but any type of electronic device! Laptops are another big issue with him if they are nearby (and powered on obviously). In fact - when he was on vacation and plugged in/turned on his GPS (Garmin, a device he had used 100 times over the years with no issues) - it about drove him batty to the point where he refused to use it the rest of the trip because of the strange feelings in his head/headache/etc.

Strange stuff..

lol most things today emit an emf field of some kind wither it be natural or artificial.....

sure all organic everything has electical properties, even your own cells communicate with electical pulses.
the earth itselfs magnetic feild is concidered to be electrically created faraday dynamo, try and escape that :)
but if you want to pummel yourself with energy, try standing in front of a radar tower or a transmitting tower, which is more akin to the magnatron in a microwave.
you can completly cook a chicken in front of it.
oh wait it IS a magnatron, or versions of reworded similar devices , it basically is doing the same thing a microwave does to cook your food, and there is no sheild for the purpose of stopping most of it at a specific location, like your microwave, as that would defeat the purpose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetron
by whatever words you want to call it, the ability TO transmit, is by sending out a strong ammount of energy in "waves" , that energy not only is a frequency that specific for the reception, but strong enough to not get mixed up with and interfeared with "natural phenomena" :) If it wasnt capable of outdoing nature, most of the time, who would want it :)
They dont go out on an aircraft carrier and analise the difference in natural waves for radar, they Pummel the area with a signal first then analise those differences.
Mabey they should work with nature :) for radar and transmission, but right now it is all Man :)
How many people would want a Leaf Hopper cell phone ?

not only magnetic and electrical power, but using the word "radiation" in general. the big bad sun pummelling us with both, radon, and natural background radiation, which is basicaly a FRAUD. it wasnt until they did extreeme radiation experiments that "background radiation" of the nuclear bomb variety was so high.
Where is my proof? and why is it so much BS?
scientists that want to do testing, had to go to the bottom of the ocean, to find pre WW metal to do experiments where the metal wasnt already giving off radiation.
Now how do they explain that , and "background radiation" as being natural in the same sentance? because some is, and some of it isnt.
Radon, for example, natural, untill you evac the ground and put a container over it (your house), and increase the general "natural" concentration.

it isnt a conspiracy, it doesnt have to be, nobody is going to give up what they got, military isnt going to go away, and you cant get rid of what is there, but again, it exists, deniability is a disservice.

With the CRT when it came to magnetism, there MUST be a magnetic coil in there pulling the stuff around to hit the phosphors on the screen, we wouldnt have had CRT televisions, if they did not, the thing would be blank :) the quanity of electromagnitism that roared out of the tv, i could measure with toys i had as a kid. and i can tell you for sure, that any natural phenomena occuring around it was a Joke :) compared to its own feild. Again who would have ever wanted a tv that couldnt maintain the front display because of natural magnistim?

with man it is all about overcomming nature, the sun? who goes out into it anymore :) if people existed in the sun, it would look like hongkong in rush hour when i got to walk my dog.
what sun? the one people see when the cable goes off .
If man didnt override and outdo nature , we wouldnt have most of the things we have today, to say it doesnt happen it to deny our own existance.
to say man has not transduced energy into unnatural forms would be to give up every electronic device , from home heating to automobiles.
we wouldnt even be here now chatting, if some electical and magnetic properties werent being applied unnaturally.

Last edited:
Empirical data and scientific research mean little in a subjective context, or as Dumbledore so aptly put it, "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real".

If someone gets a headache/feels anxiety from a device being used in their proximity, then their feelings are real and should be respected. I seldom put my smartphone up to my ear for the same reason: more than 30 seconds there and I have a headache near the temple where the phone resides. I therefore either use the speakerphone, hands free, or a wired headset. I care little if the headache is psychosomatic or physical; to me it's real and preventing it is simple.

I think it would be pretty easy if it was *just* cell phone issues - unfortunately it appears to be electronics in general (the laptop example and GPS example).

This isn't someone who would make something like this up - and they are spending a fortune on doctor visits. Obviously they had all the typical scans to ensure there wasn't a brain tumor or something.

The whole thing is very interesting to me - I just don't understand how something that doesn't affect the millions upon millions of people who are around these devices everyday could (rather suddenly) start affecting someone negatively like this.

The strange thing is it doesn't appear to be JUST cell phones - but any type of electronic device! Laptops are another big issue with him if they are nearby (and powered on obviously). In fact - when he was on vacation and plugged in/turned on his GPS (Garmin, a device he had used 100 times over the years with no issues) - it about drove him batty to the point where he refused to use it the rest of the trip because of the strange feelings in his head/headache/etc.

:shock: Ok...I think if he had trouble to the point where he couldn't use his GPS, he would have even more trouble getting to the vacation spot unless he biked the entire way. I mean, I have an aux input in my cars radio for MP3 players and such, and have a long, fairly cheap 3.5mm male to male cable plugged into it, and the thing picks up the fuel pump clear as day when nothings playing.

Back