• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Computer for A Friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

Me and my friend want to play a few new games together but he doesn't have a computer to play them with, just a very old laptop. So I want to build him a really nice computer, but also very reliable, as he has NO experience with computers whatsoever. I mean NONE. If anything ever goes wrong with this thing at all, I will be driving 500 miles to fix it, or talking him through it on the phone. He and his girlfriend are just starting out on their own so they are also a little short on cash. So I a looking to build a computer capable of running games like Saint's Row: The Third and Skyrim at around medium settings at 1920x1080 for a budget. Resolution could be lowered a bit as well I suppose. I managed to come up with a build for $700, and is completely upgradable. Including an i5-2500k, z68 mobo, 700W PSU, and 8 GB of RAM. No GPU, as I figure the integrated graphics will at least be able to RUN the games until he can spring the extra for a GPU. I would like some thoughts and suggestions on the situation. I am using only brands I know so far like ASUS mobo and G. Skill RAM, as well as Intel CPU. But if you can think of anything let me know. Thanks :)

Could you list all the parts here? The integrated graphics of an Intel chip are not enough to play a game like Skyrim. If you could cut the 700W PSU down to a 500W or 600W (I use a 600W on a 125W CPU, overclocked, and a power hog of a GPU), and the RAM to 4GB (you don't really NEED more, it's just nice to have), I would suggest trying to work in something like the 6670:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102952

I don't know if a GT520 will run Skyrim, even at lowest, but if it will (you'll want to look around for reviews/confirmation), it's cheaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130632

To run Skyrim on lowest settings (at what I'm assuming is probably below 1080p), it says you need something roughly equivalent to the graphics of a 6550D, which is on the A8-3850.

Last edited:
Maybe going with the unlocked AMD APU combined with a 6670? That's a huge amount of power for how cheap it is.

The 2500k was actually because it would give him a solid cpu that wont be outdated for ages, and of it is, we can buy a cheap cooler and OC it. I suppose 4Gb of ram would be ok but honestly the difference in price is what, 20 bucks? I know he is not picky though. We play borderlands all the time and he gets around 10fps with lowest settings and resolution. But he is my best bud so I want something nice for him.

This is a nice little budget gaming build. Forgot to throw in a Hyper212+ for OCing, bout $750. You can drop the GPU if you want to keep the costs down.

Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 1.35.26 AM.png

That is very nice for a budget build! And a free game for him to test his new rig to boot! ;D but...and I know im going to get hate for this...I would really feel better going with nvidia. AMD are good but sometimes they require a little extra setup to get running, and matinance. I have always used nvidia and never once had a problem, and I would like him to use the same brand. I hope I don't come off wrong...

Would he notice a huge difference from the i5 to the i3? Both unlocked versions.

Ummm...well....no. I just assumed there was I never actually checked. There is not. Sorry :p But I managed to squeeze out a build that was $746. Using an ASUS mobo, G. skill 8GB RAM, a GTX 550Ti overclocked, 500GB Hitachi HDD at 7200rpm, Cooler Master 700W PSU, and an i5 2550k, which includes the game RAGE! for free. I could knock off a bit more by going back to the i5-2500k, which has a promo of 15 bucks off on it as well. This all sound good?

EDIT: I apologize for the screenshot...hope you can see. I had to downscale it a bit because of my resolution, exceeded the 2MB limit.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 35
I'd personally drop down to a Corsair 500W or something, instead of the coolermaster 700W. Corsair makes good PSUs, and that's not something you want to skimp on. That said, 500W will be more than enough if he doesn't wish to overclock or SLI in the future.

I'd also get the 2500k instead - just in case the GPU comes in DOA or something, he still has graphics. That, and I don't think the .1 GHz is enough to warrant the price difference - just bump it up in the BIOS manually.

I actually was going to just overclock it when it aged and throw another 550 in there when it got slow. So I do plan to upgrade him over time. Is Cooler Master bad for a PSU?

Same here. I have one in use right now ;) I know they make arguably the best cases though.

Budget.. 2500K doesn't seem too budget minded to me.

Why not grab a H61 Asrock US3 board, and say a i5 2400? It's fast enough for gaming. And then bump up the GPU to a GTX 560 Ti Hawk model (currently 225 after rebate)

A Corsair CX V2 500W would do the job fine here btw.. :shrug:

Back