• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TACAMO

Registered
Hey forum, I just built a new rig and I would like to start folding. My system consists of a 1090T OC'ed to 4Ghz and a GTX 460. I was wondering which client would get the most work done? The client utilizing the GTX 460 or 1090T.

I believe a combination of the two (CPU and GPU) may yield the most science... although I'm not up to par on what AMD can do anymore. I think for starters you may like the new v7 client. See the install guide here that just got posted today.

:welcome: to Team 32! :beer: New guy stocks the fridge. :)

I am having some issues with the V7 client. It installs and runs fine, but a few minutes in it crashes. I get a message saying "FahCore_a4.exe has stopped working". After I close it my GPU continues to run at 99%, and anything I try to open will also crash. I have to reset my computer to fix it. I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same outcome.

I am having some issues with the V7 client. It installs and runs fine, but a few minutes in it crashes. I get a message saying "FahCore_a4.exe has stopped working". After I close it my GPU continues to run at 99%, and anything I try to open will also crash. I have to reset my computer to fix it. I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same outcome.
What are you running it on? Core crashes are usually a result of system instability. Gpu problems of late have been the result of incompatible drivers from nVidia.

Running on a 1090T. I reinstalled it on another hard drive and so far so good. Another question, How do I monitor what I'm doing to make sure its being used? I look up my name on the stats page from the F@H site and its not there.

Task manager will show the process FahCore_a3 for the smp instance and FahCore_1x for the gpu process. Running correctly, the a3 process will be using 97% or so of the cpu and the 1x process about 3% or so. If you have a ATi gpu core process 16 will use 25% of the cpu and drop the a3 process to about 75% of cpu. If you look in advanced mode Fahcontrol will show a combined log and you can see prograss there as well.

Last edited:
Gpu problems of late have been the result of incompatible drivers from nVidia.

Don't know how they stack up folding wise but NVIDIA today released this month's first major GeForce software update, version 280.26.

The suite provides the latest WHQL-signed drivers for all NVIDIA GeForce GPUs since 6-series, and ION platform.

So, The client still crashes if I run both GPU and SMP. It works fine with just the GPU running. Here's a pic of the GPU running.

Attachments

• Folding@home Client Control_2011-07-13_21-00-38.jpg
    Folding@home Client Control_2011-07-13_21-00-38.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 82
2:45/frame is slow for a 460 on p6800. it should be running something close to 1:55/frame at stock clocks.

There are not a lot of reports of the problem you describe, crashing running two clients. I'm running on v7 on a q9450, XP x64, with a GTX260 without any problems. I've run two gpus along with smp without issue.

What I'm saying is the problem is either with the stability of your machine or the method of installation. If we assume stability for the moment the question becomes, how did you install the v7 client? As a SMP or GPU primary? How did you add the 2nd slot? Did you, by chance, install v7 twice, once for gpu and once for smp? That would cause a crash.

As for the slow gpu, you need to ensure the gpu hasn't dropped to 2d low power clocks. That would double your frame times. GPU-Z or Afterburner will show actual clocks.

On most nVidia driver versions with Win 7, you can go to nVidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, power management mode and change adaptive to prefer maximum and successfully avoid downclocking.

On my last post I had the GTX460 overclocked, I set it back to the stock speed, here's a pic of GPU-Z of my current settings and the client running. I also went into the NVIDIA control panel and set it to maximum. Now I'm at 4:08/frame.

Attachments

• TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.5.4_2011-07-14_16-56-43.jpg
    TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.5.4_2011-07-14_16-56-43.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Folding@home Client Control_2011-07-14_17-05-59.jpg
    Folding@home Client Control_2011-07-14_17-05-59.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
You have to look at the sensors page of GPU-Z to see actual clocks.

Post the log.

Last edited:
You were right my system was unstable. I raised the voltage and now it runs fine. I'm switching to OCCT instead of Prime95.

Back