• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K has degraded bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

It won't run BSD at 5.0GHz at 0.30v and it wont run 1.6GHz with stock voltage.

is this a common problem with sandy bridge?

voltage was 0.30v and PLL, Load line calibration enabled at 5.0GHz

Last edited:
Ive had no issues at all. Im running 1.48v loaded. When do you BSOD? Was anything changed (went to more RAM, added a card, any changes?)?

Ive had no issues at all. Im running 1.48v loaded. When do you BSOD? Was anything changed (went to more RAM, added a card, any changes?)?

No changes, same ram.

BSD when i start up some times and just using windows.:cry:

If i down clock from 5.0GHz to 3.7GHz and set my voltage to 1.50v it's running fine.

What program can i use to see my v core under load?

CPU-z shows 1.04 and never moves no mater what voltage i use.

Here is a old screen shot.

Also i'm just using 1.5v now to get it stable till i can purchase a new i5 2500k

Attachments

• 5.0GHz.JPG
    5.0GHz.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:
That's odd, what MoBo are you using?? It shows perfectly on my Asus board, but can be a little screwy on Gigabyte boards, or so I've heard.
GA Z68 A D-3- B-3
So it's a problem with Gigabyte!

It's vary screwy in the Bios two i can't tell what voltage it's using some times.

GA Z68 A D-3- B-3

It's vary screwy in the Bios two i can't tell what voltage it's using some times.

Yeah, from what I've heard, on the GByte boards, it reads the VTT (might be a different voltage) instead of the Vcore. You should have a monitoring program that came with your MoBo, or you can download for it that should display the correct voltage.

Sorry I don't have exact instructions, I actually have never used a GByte board, so I'm just going off what I saw!

Yeah, from what I've heard, on the GByte boards, it reads the VTT (might be a different voltage) instead of the Vcore. You should have a monitoring program that came with your MoBo, or you can download for it that should display the correct voltage.

Sorry I don't have exact instructions, I actually have never used a GByte board, so I'm just going off what I saw!
Thanks i'm using one touch from the software and it's saying that my normal v core is 1.29v stock settings in bios.

is that correct stock v core for i5 2500k.

Thanks i'm using one touch from the software and it's saying that my normal v core is 1.29v stock settings in bios.

is that correct stock v core for i5 2500k.

That looks close, maybe a tad high. Do you have any LLC settings enabled??

Edit: and that's exactly the software I was talking about, just couldn't remember the exact name.

Holly. You've been relying on CPUz for Giga Z68 board reading?
Must use Easy Tune or Touch Bios for proper reading.

What clock are you at currently?...and settings?

well i think stock is 1.29v and i went to 1.5v for 5.0GHz

voltage was +0.30v and PLL, Load line calibration enabled at 5.0GHz

Might not only be the CPU. From personal experience, having a better mobo gave me much better results with lower voltage.
So it could be the mobo aging or just the CPU, but I tend to think those chip are really durable seeing some users running them at much higher voltage than you (1.55v).

Just a side note, I wouldn't feel safe with LLC 1.5+v enabled! Probably putting lot more pressure on the Vreg.

Might not only be the CPU. From personal experience, having a better mobo gave me much better results with lower voltage.
So it could be the mobo aging or just the CPU, but I tend to think those chip are really durable seeing some users running them at much higher voltage than you (1.55v).

Just a side note, I wouldn't feel safe with LLC 1.5+v enabled! Probably putting lot more pressure on the Vreg.

I'm not worried about Vreg TDP 95w and my low cost board has 5 VRM just for the cpu, i remember asus running 3 VRM chokes for 95 TDP
the gigabyte board has a 3 year warranty i always use cheap boards have not had one give out, there is no problem they build them for overcloking and to last 3 years.

You can't trust what bios says for voltage between boards. even mine says 2.9v for vcore stock settings and some reviews say 2.0v core.

I don't even know if i need that much voltage for 5.0Ghz have not had enough time to check it out.

well i think stock is 1.29v and i went to 1.5v for 5.0GHz voltage was +0.30v and PLL, Load line calibration enabled at 5.0GHz

Does this board has Multi LLC? If it does, you must be careful with which level of LLC being used especially with high vcore.

voltage was +0.30v
How did you set this?
With VCORE as NORMAL
and DVID as +0.30v .......right?
If so, that shouldn't be much voltage going through the chip. But how did it stable at 5GHz is up in the air.

So, is the chip kinda dead now? Or still operational but wonky?

Last edited:
1.5V is a lot to put through one of those chips for 24/7. I wouldn't want to go over 1.4 for 24/7 and with 1.4 I can sit at 4850 no problems :shrug: on my 2600k.

Not all SB samples can run 5.0GHz (stress stable). You may have a high VID chip with a max multi of 50x (or possibly 51x). Your chip may be better suited to a 44x to 46x daily o.c. while leaving 48x to 50x for benching.

GA Z68 A D-3- B-3

Im using the same mobo with i5-2500..it works fine and i had no prob at all..maybe u mess up with something else and screwed ur mobo:confused:

Does this board has Multi LLC? If it does, you must be careful with which level of LLC being used especially with high vcore.

How did you set this?
With VCORE as NORMAL
and DVID as +0.30v .......right?
If so, that shouldn't be much voltage going through the chip. But how did it stable at 5GHz is up in the air.

So, is the chip kinda dead now? Or still operational but wonky?

The chip is operational but wonky.

it was a cherry chip it would do over 5.0 GHz stabe at vcore 1.4v

I can't say I'm suprised given the voltage being put through it.
SB doesn't suffer from SNDS, but they aren't the bulletproof 65nm type chips people seem to think they are.

Back