• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm, I also notice this problem is a I use the power strip switch to turn off the monitor rather than the switch on the monitor itself. I wonder if it is a power issue or something...

In addition, I have noticed on a lot of websites the text flickering as well as charts and stuff, is this normal? I find it very hard on the eyes to see the screen flickering like that. Do you have this also?

yep, been doing the same thing, but it would still be nice to have an on screen way to manage it, might ask Dell about this to see if they can do something about it.

You know, having been annoyed by this at work, im agreeing with you that i wish there was a way to have profiles for this... Going to start a new topic about this to find out more, or if its possible within windows (ala non 3rd party)

glad I am not the only one. My GPU seems does not have a way to manage the brightness either... yep 3rd party, let me know if you find anything...

I am having other GPU issues now, mine went missing, software cannot find it, wonder if it is dead, even though it's brand new...

Any issues with the flickering thing I mentioned above? I don't know what's with that...

Well there at least was a positive end result to my saga. Dell refunded my entire order value. No restocking fee :)

ok that was weird. I decided to give it another shot with the Display port. Well, my Video card has 2 Displayports. When i plug it into DP2, i get that off color red-lookslike-orange issue. When i put it into DP1 however, everything looks like it should. Red is Red, pink is pink and so forth. So ill run it on this for a while, see how it flys. Maybe the DP2 on my video card is just messed up or something.

Last edited:
Jungle, good for you! Sorry t o hear you had to return it.

I haven't yet tried the display port. I am waiting for my new machine to be finished with all the installs and such, (I.e. me having the time to do it all) and then I can get rid of the old pc and the KV switch which would allow me to play around with the DVI and Display ports and see what happens. I am wondering if the display port on your video card has problems? Do you have another card to try out?

Jungle, good for you! Sorry t o hear you had to return it.

I haven't yet tried the display port. I am waiting for my new machine to be finished with all the installs and such, (I.e. me having the time to do it all) and then I can get rid of the old pc and the KV switch which would allow me to play around with the DVI and Display ports and see what happens. I am wondering if the display port on your video card has problems? Do you have another card to try out?

Well the fact that it works on DP1 and isnt quite right on DP2 suggests that DP2 is messed up somehow. But im not going to return the card just for that issue. Its fairly minor really, and since i works on DP1 and the DVI's i can plug in additional displays in the DVI ports and be done with it. Also have an HDMI i could use, tho when i tried to connect it last night it wouldn't output.. not sure why yet.

So if I could bump the the OP - the 2412 is a good choice for a gaming monitor? Worth the premium over a regular LCD? Is ghosting, ect with the 8ms response noticeable (current monitor is 2ms, but max @ 1680x1050

Last edited:
Hi - this is a very interesting thread as I am trying to decide between these two monitors. I don't use a colour managed professional print workflow and so expect that if I get the U2410 I will use it in the sRGB mode. I've now read loads of reviews and comments and these could be summarised as:

1) Buy the U2410 because it's the much better quality monitor.
2) If only using sRGB then buy the U2412M which will look about the same for this and uses less power and so puts out less heat.

I'm not so worried about extra connectivity as I only intend to use it on my PC. It's interesting that the U2412M seems to have slower response but also less input lag.

Oh, and the scare stories seem to be around pink/green tints for the U2410 (did they ever fix this on later releases?) and backlight bleed/uniformity on the U2412M.

Of course I can't find anywhere to actually view these monitors without ordering one. I would love to hear the latest views on which monitor to get from people that have actually tried one or both. Thanks.

Oh, and the scare stories seem to be around pink/green tints for the U2410 (did they ever fix this on later releases?) and backlight bleed/uniformity on the U2412M.

Of course I can't find anywhere to actually view these monitors without ordering one. I would love to hear the latest views on which monitor to get from people that have actually tried one or both. Thanks.

Im pretty sure this "pink tint" is the issue i have with mine. I have to keep mine on the "cool" color setting to avoid this.. All other settings have this tint. Not sure if i can get rid of it, but the cool setting seems to work so i doubt ill switch off of it till i can figure it out.

Im pretty sure this "pink tint" is the issue i have with mine. I have to keep mine on the "cool" color setting to avoid this.. All other settings have this tint. Not sure if i can get rid of it, but the cool setting seems to work so i doubt ill switch off of it till i can figure it out.

Is the tint just on one side of the screen? From what I've read this seems to be the usual issue wih this IPS panel, often accompanied by a green tint on the other side. If it's the whole screen looking pink/warm then it may have a different problem.

Is the tint just on one side of the screen? From what I've read this seems to be the usual issue wih this IPS panel, often accompanied by a green tint on the other side. If it's the whole screen looking pink/warm then it may have a different problem.

na, its the entire screen. IVe tried calibrating it, but i cant calibrate it correctly. Wish i had an auto calibrating tool :|

I think I used the wrong terminology, sorry about that.. They are on the front bezel. I said side because it's off to the side of the monitor, but they are on the front, four buttons. I have the U2012M. I just wish I had dual control, one on the front and then one via software. The monitor will move everytime I need to push those buttons, and I have to use them everyday as there is a big window behind my desk, I need a day time, cloudy and night time setting...

Not sure if you have found a solution, but i have. A co-worker uses software fo this setting, and once he described how it worked, i was reminded about your situation, and it sounds like this is exactly what your looking for..

F.lux Software
It makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day

It will adjust your displays for sunlight, and different types of lights.

Thanks Lyian, but you know Nvidia software also has a way to control the brightness, I just don't like to use it.

But this program you just posted looks wonderful!! I have to turn my monitor up during the day as the window behind me makes my screen have way too much glare and I can't see it, and yep at night I have to keep readjusting it throughout the day, it seems this software can be programed to automatically adjust during the whole day, this is very much what I want! Kudos to you for finding it!!!! And thanks for sending the pm to remidn me, though I am subscribed to the thread, I appreciate you remembering me!! Thanks so much for this!

I have 1 16:10 which is my main display (its an HP branded Sony FW-900)
I have 3 16:9 displays. Two on my 2nd PC, and my Laptop built in dispaly (all three max out at 1440x900)

You've got that backwards. The FW900 is 1920x1080, so 16:9. Meanwhile your 1440x900 displays are 16:10.

Personally if I had to buy new I would wait for the next high end series, which is rumored to be close

Any news on this? I'd really like to see some higher resolutions like 2560x1600, particularly in the 24" category. Sad that display technology seems to have stagnated over the past few years.

You've got that backwards. The FW900 is 1920x1080, so 16:9. Meanwhile your 1440x900 displays are 16:10.

While i was incorrect about the 14x9 display, the fw900 isnt 1920x1080, it is higher than that, and the closest resolution to that is 1920×1200, which is what i ran it at, which is 16:10.

Thanks Lyian, but you know Nvidia software also has a way to control the brightness, I just don't like to use it.

But this program you just posted looks wonderful!! I have to turn my monitor up during the day as the window behind me makes my screen have way too much glare and I can't see it, and yep at night I have to keep readjusting it throughout the day, it seems this software can be programed to automatically adjust during the whole day, this is very much what I want! Kudos to you for finding it!!!! And thanks for sending the pm to remidn me, though I am subscribed to the thread, I appreciate you remembering me!! Thanks so much for this!

No problem :) Glad i could help.

Lyian, how are you? I finally downloaded this program and installed it! Are you using it? How do you like it?

I just installed it and it is like 930pm here so it's like at 3800k right now. I feel a little annoying for eyes, does that go away over time? When I first started using it it was great, but now after about 10 minutes I feel its a bit different on the eyes.

What is your brightness and contrast set at on the display itself? I just put mine both at 50. Let me know.

Lyian, how are you? I finally downloaded this program and installed it! Are you using it? How do you like it?

I just installed it and it is like 930pm here so it's like at 3800k right now. I feel a little annoying for eyes, does that go away over time? When I first started using it it was great, but now after about 10 minutes I feel its a bit different on the eyes.

What is your brightness and contrast set at on the display itself? I just put mine both at 50. Let me know.

I dont use it myself, a co-worker use to, not sure if he still does. We dont have windows in our office so our screens are at a constant brightness level. Also due to this, just used it to lower the brightness overall.

I cant say anything as far as the eyes go im afraid. :|

I've got to say Lyian, I am surprised to hear that you are not using it, I thought you found it to use it? No? I would think without windows the brightness would be lowered..Hmmm, I figured maybe you were using at home with your monitor? I'd like to see what others think about this software. I will say now after using it for a few hours, it seems to be working, as I feel more tired and may actually sleep earlier than usually, we will see.

Back