• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you Junglebizz,

Did I get a dud or what? I seem to have major bleed from the right top corner and minor bleeds in blue on the other three sides... From some of the information I have read, it seems that bleed is normal? I need to check my old Samsung Syncmaster to see if it does the same thing....

Attachments

• IMG_8226 front view.JPG
    IMG_8226 front view.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_8229 side view.JPG
    IMG_8229 side view.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 398
I can't comment on if it is a dud or normal. The white glow that was noticeable even when sitting in front of it at a normal distance was enough for me to send it back today. Back to my LG.

I honestly think that for the size of my desk, a 20" is a better fit anyways.

I just tested out that program on my U2410 to take pics, and it's a pretty awesome program. What's weird though, is that the screen looks different through a camera than it does with my eyes only.

With a camera sitting at a position where it's perpendicular to the center of the screen, it looks like there is bleeding on all four corners. Looking at the screen with my eyes, there isn't any bleeding.

Center Pic
center.JPG

So, I then set the camera so it was perpendicular to each corner, which made the bleeding disappear in that corner.

Top Left
top_left.JPG

Bottom Left
bottom_left.JPG

Bottom Right
bottom_right.JPG

Top Right
top_right.JPG

What this means is that there really isn't any bleeding, it's just the camera and viewing angles. If bleeding was there, then it would show no matter where the pic was taken from.

I'm about to try taking a pic from further away since I was sitting in my desk chair for the above pics.

Mine doesn't do that, if I take pictures at each corner there is still light, especially the white light coming from the top right corner. I have sent my pictures to Dell and hopefully they can shed some light on this.... no pun intended..

I am curious about those of you who have the U2410M, any issues? Matt's seems very good, no bleeding at all, maybe that is what an extra 200 bucks gets you??

I forgot to post these, my bad. The first pic is basically the U2410 screen taking up the whole pic. The other pics are at different distances from the screen. The fake bleeding disappears in the distant shots.

up_close.JPG

mid.JPG

far.JPG

I know i posted this in another thread, but wanted to touch it up here for the Dell displays specifically.

Has anyone who currently owns either one of these displays had any issues with using the Displayport and the color reproduction?

When i plugged my u2410 in using the DP, the red color looked orange. But using the DVI port looked red like it should.

Also using the sRBG mode seemed washed out, even on the default 50% bright/contrast. I currently have the preset set to Cool cause it looks like i think it should, but somehow i feel im losing color reproduction doing that.

Anyone run into these issues? Or have any thoughts ?

hi Lyian, I haven't used the DP yet, so I can't really comment. If I get some time I might try it out and see. Surprised no one else has commented yet.

One annoying thing I found is that so far at least, I have not found another way around it, is that all of Dell's monitor controls are on the side panel, I like the fact that they are there, but there is no software to adjust the brightness, I hate everyday having to push buttons because eventually they might break. I even tried using a power strip to turn on and off the montior, the next time I turned it on the PC didn't recognize Dell's monitor and put the resolution back at 1600x1080.. not sure what happend there.. Got to be away around the brightness issues, any software that can do this for us? Dell's software didn't have anything...

hi Lyian, I haven't used the DP yet, so I can't really comment. If I get some time I might try it out and see. Surprised no one else has commented yet.

One annoying thing I found is that so far at least, I have not found another way around it, is that all of Dell's monitor controls are on the side panel, I like the fact that they are there, but there is no software to adjust the brightness, I hate everyday having to push buttons because eventually they might break. I even tried using a power strip to turn on and off the montior, the next time I turned it on the PC didn't recognize Dell's monitor and put the resolution back at 1600x1080.. not sure what happend there.. Got to be away around the brightness issues, any software that can do this for us? Dell's software didn't have anything...

On the side? you mean like not facing you so that they get blocked using dual displays?

What model are you using? Every Dell display Ive ever dealt with, including my u2410, has its controls on the front.

I think I used the wrong terminology, sorry about that.. They are on the front bezel. I said side because it's off to the side of the monitor, but they are on the front, four buttons. I have the U2012M. I just wish I had dual control, one on the front and then one via software. The monitor will move everytime I need to push those buttons, and I have to use them everyday as there is a big window behind my desk, I need a day time, cloudy and night time setting...

I think I used the wrong terminology, sorry about that.. They are on the front bezel. I said side because it's off to the side of the monitor, but they are on the front, four buttons. I have the U2012M. I just wish I had dual control, one on the front and then one via software. The monitor will move everytime I need to push those buttons, and I have to use them everyday as there is a big window behind my desk, I need a day time, cloudy and night time setting...

Im in the habbit of using my thumb to push the buttons, and using my first and middle finger to reach around behind them for support *shrug*

yep, been doing the same thing, but it would still be nice to have an on screen way to manage it, might ask Dell about this to see if they can do something about it.

yep, been doing the same thing, but it would still be nice to have an on screen way to manage it, might ask Dell about this to see if they can do something about it.

Not sure what kind of video card you have at work, but I know ATI and nVidia do have profiles of their own within their software that work separately from the screen. Perhaps you could use that?

I just got 2 U2412M's at work, so I'll be spending a ton of time staring at these things. My initial reaction is that they're very nice monitors. I can't find anything to complain about. The brightness was 75% out of the box and it hurt my eyes so I turned it down to 50%; I may go even lower than that. Comparing it quickly to a 2410, the color seems better on the 2410. It is calibrated, where the 2412 isn't, and it seems noticeable. I guess I could have this calibrated but it doesn't seem worth it.

I just got 2 U2412M's at work, so I'll be spending a ton of time staring at these things. My initial reaction is that they're very nice monitors. I can't find anything to complain about. The brightness was 75% out of the box and it hurt my eyes so I turned it down to 50%; I may go even lower than that. Comparing it quickly to a 2410, the color seems better on the 2410. It is calibrated, where the 2412 isn't, and it seems noticeable. I guess I could have this calibrated but it doesn't seem worth it.

Ive had my 2410 for a bout a week now. Its very nice, but still bugs me about the DP issue. On the "Cool' Preset using DVI cable tho, it looks sweet :) and hella sharp!

Ive had my 2410 for a bout a week now. Its very nice, but still bugs me about the DP issue. On the "Cool' Preset using DVI cable tho, it looks sweet :) and hella sharp!

Yeah I took a look at my boss's 2410's today, and the colors are just absolutely amazing. The best reds I have ever seen in my entire life. No idea why, but it's unbelievable.

Yeah I took a look at my boss's 2410's today, and the colors are just absolutely amazing. The best reds I have ever seen in my entire life. No idea why, but it's unbelievable.

ya, it shows really vivid Reds.... over DVI.. They are more orangish over DP for me tho :|

It's because the reds are so far out of RGB colorspace, for that particular monitor profile and screen.
It's all in the links I've provided :p

I plan on purchasing 3x U2412M's very soon, for a nice Eyefinity setup. Right now there is a coupon code to get them 15% off on the Dell Small Business website, hopefully I can purchase them within the next week before it expires, or I can find a similar deal since it probably wouldn't be much later than that, that I make the purchase.

Not sure what kind of video card you have at work, but I know ATI and nVidia do have profiles of their own within their software that work separately from the screen. Perhaps you could use that?

I need to check the video card software and see if there are adjustments on it or not. I did think about that, just did not have time to check.

Got a question for guys.. Are any of you having issues with the PC detecting the monitor after a reboot? I have to constantly go back into the Win 7 settings under personalize and click detect, it is very annoying because everytime I have to reset all my desktop icons as after reboot the screen has changed to 1600x1200. Any ideas?

I need to check the video card software and see if there are adjustments on it or not. I did think about that, just did not have time to check.

Got a question for guys.. Are any of you having issues with the PC detecting the monitor after a reboot? I have to constantly go back into the Win 7 settings under personalize and click detect, it is very annoying because everytime I have to reset all my desktop icons as after reboot the screen has changed to 1600x1200. Any ideas?

Nope, havent had any problems with this myself.

Back