• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess a whole lot has changed then, and maybe for the better. When I first bought my syncmaster from Samsung they told me to use both VGA and DVI together and even showed me the difference with just using VGA vs. using both, in order to get a better quality picture you had to use both.

So which one is going to be better DVI or HDMI? I suspect that DVI will begin to be phased out at one point or another just like VGA? I suspect VGA is on the way out also, no? The new standard may be HDMI? Perhaps I should just adapt to it now...

EDIT: and by the way, so far I love this monitor, the on panel controls for brightness and contrast are great! The only thing I don't really like so far is that the monitor does not go high enough and that the screen tilt doesn't automatically figure out which way is up, though perhaps this is good as for some reasons maybe you wouldn't want to monitor to flip by itself like a smartphone would. I am quite impressed so far, though I will say when windows loads it flickers at the beginning, and I am wondering if others are experiencing this, so far I have only used the VGA connections, and that could be what is causing it. When windows loads, right before it brings up the main screen inside with your background on it the screen goes nuts horizontal like it is scrambled or something, maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Eww, the glowing on Black is uguly. Do they all do that?

I just picked up a Dell 2312HM and I noticed the glow. It seems to be a common thing with IPS monitors. If you google "IPS Glow" you will get all kinds of videos showing different brands of monitors. It is really only noticeable in low light situations or at wide viewing angles. If you back away from the screen, it disappears.

I think my issue is that my monitor is too close to me that I notice it in the bottom corners if the screen is dark. Unfortunately, my desk isn't deep enough to back the monitor up any more than it is.

I replaced a 6 year old LG L203WT with it and I will say, the colours are much better on the Dell, but the black level is not. This is probably more noticeable for me though because I often use this computer in low light.

The brightness is also ridiculous! I have read some review that state the same. Even at the lowest brightness settings, this monitor is considered too bright. I currently have it at 20% and I might drop it even lower.

I've only had a couple hours with the monitor so I can't really form a solid opinion about it yet, but these are some of my observations. I may set up my LG beside it and compare the two.

HDMI basically DVI + audio in a single cable format. They should perform identically since the video signal is the same for both.

John, I put in an edit on my thread, you replied so quick. I will repost for you below and thanks for the info on DVI and HDMI, I guess I will flip a coin... though my monitor has no speakers on it, so I guess I don't need the HDMI, no wonder you said just use DVI a few days ago...

"EDIT: and by the way, so far I love this monitor, the on panel controls for brightness and contrast are great! The only thing I don't really like so far is that the monitor does not go high enough and that the screen tilt doesn't automatically figure out which way is up, though perhaps this is good as for some reasons maybe you wouldn't want to monitor to flip by itself like a smartphone would. I am quite impressed so far, though I will say when windows loads it flickers at the beginning, and I am wondering if others are experiencing this, so far I have only used the VGA connections, and that could be what is causing it. When windows loads, right before it brings up the main screen inside with your background on it the screen goes nuts horizontal like it is scrambled or something, maybe someone else can shed some light on that."

And Junglebizz, yep the brightness is ridiculous I know, it started at like 45% I think, I brought mine down to like 20, it was still too bright, so I messed with the contrast and brought that down to like 30-40% and finally I feel comfortable. I went all the way to 0 with the brightness and was like, you mean I still have light at 0?! It's insane!

I cannot tell if I have glow or not, it seems like I might, but as you say, as you back away it seems to disappear.

Last edited:
though I will say when windows loads it flickers at the beginning, and I am wondering if others are experiencing this, so far I have only used the VGA connections, and that could be what is causing it. When windows loads, right before it brings up the main screen inside with your background on it the screen goes nuts horizontal like it is scrambled or something, maybe someone else can shed some light on that."
Probably a VGA-related blip caused by the display adapter resetting as the Windows driver loads. You might see a blip on a digital connection too, but it will probably be less spazzy. :)

Hi Johan and sorry for calling you john in my previous post.

Thanks for your feedback on the spazzing out / scrambling thing, will try with both the DVI and then HDMI cables and see which one it happens less on or if it ends up being the same. Thanks for the quick feedback on these things! I think I have hijacked this thread, but hope the information here is helpful to others.

John, I put in an edit on my thread, you replied so quick. I will repost for you below and thanks for the info on DVI and HDMI, I guess I will flip a coin... though my monitor has no speakers on it, so I guess I don't need the HDMI, no wonder you said just use DVI a few days ago...

"EDIT: and by the way, so far I love this monitor, the on panel controls for brightness and contrast are great! The only thing I don't really like so far is that the monitor does not go high enough and that the screen tilt doesn't automatically figure out which way is up, though perhaps this is good as for some reasons maybe you wouldn't want to monitor to flip by itself like a smartphone would. I am quite impressed so far, though I will say when windows loads it flickers at the beginning, and I am wondering if others are experiencing this, so far I have only used the VGA connections, and that could be what is causing it. When windows loads, right before it brings up the main screen inside with your background on it the screen goes nuts horizontal like it is scrambled or something, maybe someone else can shed some light on that."

And Junglebizz, yep the brightness is ridiculous I know, it started at like 45% I think, I brought mine down to like 20, it was still too bright, so I messed with the contrast and brought that down to like 30-40% and finally I feel comfortable. I went all the way to 0 with the brightness and was like, you mean I still have light at 0?! It's insane!

I cannot tell if I have glow or not, it seems like I might, but as you say, as you back away it seems to disappear.

I think mine started at 75% for brightness and contrast out of the box. When I turned it on, I thought I was going to get a tan. :shock:

If I recall, I have it around 20% brightness and 60% contrast. I thought the glow was backlight bleed but after checking for bleed on a black screen in a dark room, it was very minor on the left side. I guess had I known about the IPS glow I wouldn't have been so shocked when I saw it appear.

From reviews I have read, the 2412 model has a much lower minimum brightness compared to the 2312 for some reason.

I will repost for you below and thanks for the info on DVI and HDMI, I guess I will flip a coin... though my monitor has no speakers on it, so I guess I don't need the HDMI, no wonder you said just use DVI a few days ago...

I personally, would proly use DVI over HDMI for the simple fact that DVI cables can be secured (ie screwed) in place to prevent accidental unplugging, especially if you plan to rotate it for its 'document' mode

The new standard may be HDMI?

For PC's DisaplyPort is designed to replace both VGA and DVI. Basically, DisaplyPort is a more advanced HDMI interface. (and its Royalty-free)

Hi Lyian, yep I was thinking about that too, especially for people who want to tilt their monitor often, the connection might become lose.

I am not familiar with displayport, but will do some research on it, unfortuantely this monitor does not have that port connection, though the 2410 probably does as it has many more connections.

After reading this thread, I'm seriously considering getting myself a U2412M. I've never owned what I would consider to be a really good monitor. I've currently got a Samsung synmaster t200hd 20" which is OK, but its not very bright and just not big enough. So here I am...

Does anyone know somewhere I can get it for less than £249, amazon.co.uk is the cheapest I've found so far in the UK.

Hi Lyian, yep I was thinking about that too, especially for people who want to tilt their monitor often, the connection might become lose.

I am not familiar with displayport, but will do some research on it, unfortuantely this monitor does not have that port connection, though the 2410 probably does as it has many more connections.

I just read up to what display you have..

The port you *think* is the HDMI is actually the display port, the 2412 does NOT have an HDMI port. The 2410 has both. the Difference between an HDMI and Disaplyport (full size) is that the HDMI has an indent on two corners of the connection, and Displayport only has 1.

Heres a good pic showing them.

Left: Displayport
Middle: HDMI
Right: DVI
big_displayport.jpg

Displayport may offer better quality over DVI.. Im not 100% sure if the Ultrasharps use the extra bandwidth Displayport offers or not. However from what i can see on the cables, it looks like the Displayport cables do have a way of locking, it just doesnt look *as* secure as the screws found on a DVI/VGA cable

Ok so I picked up a 2312HM and I'm kind of torn. This monitor has not been what I expected considering the almost universal praise it receives.

There are some things that I can't argue are obvious improvements from my 6 year old LG 20.1" TN panel.

- The colours are superior. I tried to configure my LG to match and it can't come close.
- The stand is a lot better.
- It is way lighter than my 20" LG.
- built in USB hub.

There are also some things I can't stand about it:

- The "IPS Glow" I found out about after the fact is terrible on this screen! I sit at least 3 feet away from it and the bottom corners look washed out with white.

- In fact, the black levels of this screen are dismal. They all look washed out and greyish.

- The brightness, even at 0%, is still too bright for me. I do have sensitive eyes and tend to use the monitor in low light conditions. I have read a few reviews that also state that this monitor's minimum brightness is much higher (more than double) than similar monitors.

- It has a stuck pixel (green) which I know is common but no other monitor I have had has had one. From what I am reading the monitor can be replaced or fixed due to this under the Dell premium panel guarantee, but they could send me a refurb instead...

- The viewing angles that are advertised are basically rendered moot because the IPS glow washes it out at angles.

- I took some pictures of the monitor in a dark room with a solid black background on, and not only was the LG a lot darker but it also had uniform lighting. The Dell had bad uniformity and backlight bleed along the top and in the bottom right corner. At any angle, the IPS glow was so intense, even at 0% brightness, that the screen looks white. I tried to watch a movie and unless you are sitting in the perfect spot, the black bars below the screen show the white glow.

Excellent colours and features aren't enough for me to want to keep this monitor with such bad backlight bleeding, excessive brightness and insane IPS glow. I may have found the colours that my TN panel was missing, but I feel like I had to give up my black depth in the process. :(

- It has a stuck pixel (green) which I know is common but no other monitor I have had has had one. From what I am reading the monitor can be replaced or fixed due to this under the Dell premium panel guarantee, but they could send me a refurb instead...

I have a 2412 that got a stuck red pixel at the top. I called Dell and explained the situation and they sent me a refurb replacement in about two days. I just packed the old one in the box, stuck the sticker that came with it on it, and took it back to FedEx to send back.

Yes, it's a refurb, but I would never guess if I didn't already know. There's no difference I can tell between new and refurb.

I suppose the whole refurb part isn't what bugs me. I don't notice the green pixel unless i look for it or the screen is really dark. I think the white wash from the LED backlighting is what is ruining my experience with the monitor. My friend is convinced i have a bad monitor, but do I? From what I have seen, IPS glow like this is common so if I send it back and get another and it is all washed out as well, can I return that one?

I suppose the whole refurb part isn't what bugs me. I don't notice the green pixel unless i look for it or the screen is really dark. I think the white wash from the LED backlighting is what is ruining my experience with the monitor. My friend is convinced i have a bad monitor, but do I? From what I have seen, IPS glow like this is common so if I send it back and get another and it is all washed out as well, can I return that one?

unlikely youd be able to send it back to Dell for a replacement. If its still within the return policy of where you purchased it, they might take it make when you say you dont want it or something.

Just doing a quick scan on youtube, there do seem to be a fair bit of Ultrasharp's posted with LED backlighting with the black glow. I could really only find one vid showing the 2410's black glow. Tho its hard to see on video how bad it really is.

I just read up to what display you have..

The port you *think* is the HDMI is actually the display port, the 2412 does NOT have an HDMI port. The 2410 has both. the Difference between an HDMI and Disaplyport (full size) is that the HDMI has an indent on two corners of the connection, and Displayport only has 1.

Heres a good pic showing them.

Left: Displayport
Middle: HDMI
Right: DVI
big_displayport.jpg

Displayport may offer better quality over DVI.. Im not 100% sure if the Ultrasharps use the extra bandwidth Displayport offers or not. However from what i can see on the cables, it looks like the Displayport cables do have a way of locking, it just doesnt look *as* secure as the screws found on a DVI/VGA cable

Ok, then it's odd, becuase my new GPU also calls it HDMI, but perhaps it is a display port instead, I need to go check the specs. so DVI is still going to be a better connection right?

Something you all need to consider about this monitor is the way in which things plug in it, because of the bulkiness of it, getting things plugged into the bottom are a bit tricky, once in of course it's great, but for example two of the usb ports on the bottom and two are on the side, I suppose whatever you plug into the usb should be more permananet such as a mouse or keyboard or camera or cellular phone plugs, which is what I plan to do, the two on teh side are useful for usb pens and other stuff...

Got a question for you guys, why is it that the text only looks normal at the 1920x1200 resolution setting? When I try to adjust the resolution down, in order to make the text bigger the text looks fuzzy, especially in outlook mail and desktop icons. right now I am using my old computer with the monitor, the spcs in blue below, with only a DVI connection, could this be the problem?

In addition can someone here give me an idea of a good display test software to check for dead pixels and other perforamace issues? I want to make sure everything is working great within the 14 day exchange period.

Thanks

Got a question for you guys, why is it that the text only looks normal at the 1920x1200 resolution setting? When I try to adjust the resolution down, in order to make the text bigger the text looks fuzzy, especially in outlook mail and desktop icons. right now I am using my old computer with the monitor, the spcs in blue below, with only a DVI connection, could this be the problem?

Interpolation.

Edit: It's regular, and will always happen when running large native resolution LCDs below native.

My fav monitor site: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
Info on the backlight bleed and interpolation are just below this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2412m.htm#uniformity

They even compare it to the 2410.

Last edited:
Back