• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So at work, we just got a few 2412M's in addition to some 2410's we already have. I'll try to get some time with both of them to see how they look. I might not be able to get gaming in on them but I'll try :D

Any news on how this monitor performed while gaming?

Im in the market for a new 24" ISP for PC gaming only and really dont know what to buy.

Haven't had a chance yet since work's been busy. I'll try either next weekend or sometime late november closer to when SWTOR is coming out

One thing i like about the 2410 is that is has Picture in Picture. Not many may find this useful, but i have multiple computers. I am currently able to switch back and forth on my current display, however it would be handy to beable to have PnP so i can see both at once.

This would allow me to, among other things, play two games, or run two copys of the same game at once, on different machines without needing two displays. (if for nothing else it helps save desk space)

But i would more likely use this to hook up my 2nd computer (aka my game server) so that i can more easily adjust settings and see them applied live. Its a neat thing to have really

haha.. how about now? Any feedback on the comparison?

Ahhh! Still not yet sorry. I actually just forgot about it. This weekend I'm out of town for thanksgiving, but when I get back I'll ask about borrowing them.

Edit: someone post here a week from Friday and remind me :)

Got my U2410 last Friday and installed over the weekend. I'm impressed. Color reproduction is spectacular (compared with the 6 year old Samsung SM 710T it replaced), and it is not even yet calibrated.
But I'm not sure if this is a monitor for gamers. I'm using it for non-linear video editing.
At least full HD video playback is possible.

There are two critical differences between the U2410 and U2412:

1) the U2410 uses a true 8-bit panel with A-FRC to achieve its >sRGB gamut
2) the U2410 uses a high grade CCFL backlight (not LED) which means it will have better whites than the U2412M

Gamers who want IPS should look no further than the LG IPS231 - it is cheap, very nice, and at 23" has a very reasonable dot pitch for its resolution (1920x1080). The U2412M is considerably more expensive, provides only 1 inch more in size and 120 pixels more in vertical resolution, and a whole host of features of no use to gamers.

I have used several IPS/PVA monitors and frankly I laugh my *** off when I see gamers using expensive monitors that are intended for colour-critical work. Until recently I used two NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitors worth about $750 each, and now I'm using a Dell U3011... but I'm a photographer, and I need high quality/high resolution displays which have the best picture quality and colour accuracy.

Games look great at 2560x1600, but they also look great on a 28" TN monitor at 1920x1200.

The difference in quality between TN and IPS/VA is grossly exaggerated.

its resolution (1920x1080)
You lost my interest here. lol

Personally,I also want to use the PnP feature of this display. As i have multiple computers that i like to have talk to each other.

The rest of it may be overkill, but it also means this display will take anything i can throw at it. Realistically, they will likely stop making it by the time im ready to buy one.

Fair enough - horses for courses.

I thought I'd hate 16:9 but it didn't bother me (and still doesn't - every time I watch TV or a movie I have to look at a 16:9 Sony Bravia :D)... but for general PC use I much prefer 16:10.

Have u owned a 16:9 monitor before and used it extensively? If not, you'd be surprised at how quickly it starts to feel natural, as with any aspect ratio, really (4:3, 5:4 etc).

Fair enough - horses for courses.

I thought I'd hate 16:9 but it didn't bother me (and still doesn't - every time I watch TV or a movie I have to look at a 16:9 Sony Bravia :D)... but for general PC use I much prefer 16:10.

Have u owned a 16:9 monitor before and used it extensively? If not, you'd be surprised at how quickly it starts to feel natural, as with any aspect ratio, really (4:3, 5:4 etc).

I have 1 16:10 which is my main display (its an HP branded Sony FW-900)
I have 3 16:9 displays. Two on my 2nd PC, and my Laptop built in dispaly (all three max out at 1440x900)

My laptop is my main computer atm. When im home, i have for all intents and purposes docked to my main monitor (along with keyboard/mouse ect..). Ive played a few times both with it on the big display and with the built in display and i will say (mainly because ive switched between the two) that its kind of a pain playing on the built in display. In WoW i kept having to shift the windows around or shrink them because with the smaller rez, they were overlapping other things.

Ahhh! Still not yet sorry. I actually just forgot about it. This weekend I'm out of town for thanksgiving, but when I get back I'll ask about borrowing them.

Edit: someone post here a week from Friday and remind me :)

A week late..but still.. :bump:

how bout it? :D

There are two critical differences between the U2410 and U2412:

1) the U2410 uses a true 8-bit panel with A-FRC to achieve its >sRGB gamut
2) the U2410 uses a high grade CCFL backlight (not LED) which means it will have better whites than the U2412M

Gamers who want IPS should look no further than the LG IPS231 - it is cheap, very nice, and at 23" has a very reasonable dot pitch for its resolution (1920x1080). The U2412M is considerably more expensive, provides only 1 inch more in size and 120 pixels more in vertical resolution, and a whole host of features of no use to gamers.

I have used several IPS/PVA monitors and frankly I laugh my *** off when I see gamers using expensive monitors that are intended for colour-critical work. Until recently I used two NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitors worth about $750 each, and now I'm using a Dell U3011... but I'm a photographer, and I need high quality/high resolution displays which have the best picture quality and colour accuracy.

Games look great at 2560x1600, but they also look great on a 28" TN monitor at 1920x1200.

The difference in quality between TN and IPS/VA is grossly exaggerated.

I purchased and returned six TN monitors when I first made the switch from my 21" Trinitron, and some of the TN monitors were "high-end" as well. Looking straight on at the screen, most of them would be a completely different color in the upper middle. The difference between TN and IPS is significant, but a lot of people are lucky enough to not have sensitive enough eyes to be affected by it. Saying the differences are grossly exaggerated is misleading, everyone just has to try out different panels for themselves. Same as wine, if you have a cheap palette, enjoy the hell out of that $10 wine and be grateful (I'm one of them, my favorite daily wine is $12.99 per bottle, w00t).

Also, I refuse to use 16:9, so even though I don't do photography or other color-critical activities, I still end up with high-end IPS 16:10 panels that are used mostly for gaming. At least I know my photos look correct like they did on my CRT, and when I make graphics for websites and whatnot I don't have to wonder if it's the wrong color because of a substandard screen.

Hi Shadin, thanks for your comments. I am about ready to purchase the U2412. Did you buy one of these, or another type that you finally settled on?

Getting em next weekend! Which is perfect as it coincides with SWTOR's release :D I'll test em with a handful of games.

Hows it looook!?! Im still waiting on my credit info to update so i can get my new computer. Still holding off on the display till i can afford it and know which one i want.

Also, does the U2412M have input switching? I know it doesn't have PnP but id hope it would at least have input switching.

Hows it looook!?! Im still waiting on my credit info to update so i can get my new computer. Still holding off on the display till i can afford it and know which one i want.

Also, does the U2412M have input switching? I know it doesn't have PnP but id hope it would at least have input switching.

So IT totally nixed my plans and wouldn't even let me bring a laptop in to use the monitors at work. That being said, I spent some time on both (work-related) and have a few thoughts:

First thing to disclaim, both of the monitors were at their factory settings. The 2410 is supposedly calibrated at the factory, but I don't think the 2412M is. A few non-image related details- the 2410 is substantially bigger. It's a thicker screen with a wider bezel, but it also looks and feels way more solid. The 2412M is much thinner, the base is not quite as big, and it just doesn't feel very solid. I'm not saying it's bad, but the 2410 definitely is a pro's monitor as opposed to the 2412M being more consumer oriented. The other thing to note is that the 2412M is noticeably cooler. The 2410 puts out a ton of heat that the 2412 doesn't because of its LED backlight.

As far as picture quality, there's a noticeable difference. Specifically, he 2410 has the most amazing reds I have ever seen in my entire life. They just pop. It's a much richer-looking monitor in general. The 2412M is great as well, but it seems a little washed out in comparison. I'd say the difference is sorta like between a really expensive HDTV and a budget brand HDTV. On its own, though, the 2412M is still a great looking monitor.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to play any games, so I couldn't really look at moving pictures. But I think the refresh rates are really close and based on the reviews/comparisons I've seen the 2412M actually looks marginally better in terms of ghosting and other artifacts. But these are tests for the sake of testing, meaning I doubt you'd be able to tell while actually using them.

It really boils down to whether or not you want to spend the extra $100. I'd say it's an extremely tough call whether the 2410 is worth the extra money. the 2412M is definitely a great monitor, and I doubt anyone would be unhappy with it. Sure, the panel is a budget IPS, but if you're like me and only look at your monitor sitting straight ahead, viewing angles and other such things don't really matter.

I honestly still have no idea which I'm gonna get. I'll probably jump on the next deal on either one. I'm leaning towards the 2410 because the picture is better and in my opinion the monitor just looks better. Also I just got a bonus so I have the extra $100 to burn. If I was looking for a budget deal, I'd probably snag the 2412M.

I have any old Samsung syncmaster and even if I look at it at angels it's still pretty clear, this monitor is over 5 years old too. I am not sure what IPS is, but is this Dell worse than my current monitor in terms of the viewing angles? I would love to have the 2412, but the extra thickness and heat is something I don't need. I was also under the impression that hte 2012 is also an LED backlit monitor, no?

Back