• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi Shadin, thanks for your comments. I am about ready to purchase the U2412. Did you buy one of these, or another type that you finally settled on?

I use a 2209W (e-IPS) panel at home that I purchased when they first came out, and am about to order the U2410 (which I've used at work before).

So you are about to order the 2410 not the 2412.. have you used the 2412 at work before also? The 2410 here is about 150 more than the 2412 and after reading some info above I don't really want something so thick, I am not a professional user.

So you are about to order the 2410 not the 2412.. have you used the 2412 at work before also? The 2410 here is about 150 more than the 2412 and after reading some info above I don't really want something so thick, I am not a professional user.
Honestly I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you wanna save the $150, get the 2412. 24" is freaking huge, awesome, and you won't be disappointed.

I am curious how far away you guys place this huge monitor from your face though? My desk is quite narrow and I don't want to go blind! haha.

I am curious how far away you guys place this huge monitor from your face though? My desk is quite narrow and I don't want to go blind! haha.

Haha that was definitely a concern of mine. I have a 22" right now, and its probably a foot and a half away from me. A 24" maybe 1.75ft away should be just fine.

Well right now I am only using a 19in, and going to a 24 is going to be like going from a Ford Gremlin to a Lexus. 2 feet away? hmmm

Can someone tell me how close they can get this to the wall behind their computer? Right now the samsung I have won't go to the wall, it actually sits about 10in fromt the wall because the inputs are right behind the base prohibiting it from being pushed back any further. In addition the strange design of the base and the monitor do not allow it to be pushed back any further. I am hoping that the Dell can be pushed almost as much as we want back to the wall. If not, 2 feet is going to be hard.

Thanks

Well right now I am only using a 19in, and going to a 24 is going to be like going from a Ford Gremlin to a Lexus. 2 feet away? hmmm

Can someone tell me how close they can get this to the wall behind their computer? Right now the samsung I have won't go to the wall, it actually sits about 10in fromt the wall because the inputs are right behind the base prohibiting it from being pushed back any further. In addition the strange design of the base and the monitor do not allow it to be pushed back any further. I am hoping that the Dell can be pushed almost as much as we want back to the wall. If not, 2 feet is going to be hard.

Thanks

You can probably get both the 2412 and 2410 right up against the wall. The inputs are such that the cables will go straight down, so you can drop them behind your desk. The thing that might limit you is the stand, but that's only a few inches.

Thats good to know. I was trying to get a better view of the back of the display, it seems it might be similar to the one I have due to the way it was constructed. They are giving me 14 days to evaluate, so.. We'll see. I did notice the inputs are on the bottom rather than the back, that was a smart move. And yeah I did notice the stand was a bit strange, not sure how much that is going to effect it, but will figure it out when I get it I guess.

Some other concerns now as I started doing more deeper checking on this monitor.

For those of you who have the 2412, how much of an issue did you find for the following two things?

Glowing problem on black screen?

Flickering problem below 60% backlighting?

The latter bothers me greatly becuase usually I only use about 40% brightness.

Getting concerned as I already ordered it.

Thats good to know. I was trying to get a better view of the back of the display, it seems it might be similar to the one I have due to the way it was constructed. They are giving me 14 days to evaluate, so.. We'll see. I did notice the inputs are on the bottom rather than the back, that was a smart move. And yeah I did notice the stand was a bit strange, not sure how much that is going to effect it, but will figure it out when I get it I guess.

Some other concerns now as I started doing more deeper checking on this monitor.

For those of you who have the 2412, how much of an issue did you find for the following two things?

Glowing problem on black screen?

Flickering problem below 60% backlighting?

The latter bothers me greatly becuase usually I only use about 40% brightness.

Getting concerned as I already ordered it.

Eww, the glowing on Black is uguly. Do they all do that?

I haven't, but I plan to use the monitor for years, and right now it's less than $100 difference, so I figured I'll get the extra inputs. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either one, though, as the 2412 uses the e-IPS screen that my 2209WA uses from my understanding, and it's been a fantastic monitor.

As for distance, I keep my monitor about half an inch beyond my fingertip if I extend my arm straight in front of me.

Shadin, I don't have that much space, but I have long arms too, I can touch the wall behind my desk, I might have to improvise something like asking someone to build me a door or something on the back of the table to extend the table about 2-3 inches, would give me overall more space on the desk too.

Biggest issue now still about the glowing and flickering problem as above, I am really hoping when I get this I don't see those things, I have already warned Dell that they should test the monitor for these issues before sending it, otherwise they will be getting it back at their own cost. We'll see what happens.

I've had the 2412 for several months and haven't noticed the black glow much at all. It's certainly no worse than my 24" Samsung with a TN panel. The response time isn't the best, obviously, but it's perfectly acceptable for gaming. I tried to test the flickering issue the video noted and didn't notice anything that bothered me.

I've had the 2412 for several months and haven't noticed the black glow much at all. It's certainly no worse than my 24" Samsung with a TN panel. The response time isn't the best, obviously, but it's perfectly acceptable for gaming. I tried to test the flickering issue the video noted and didn't notice anything that bothered me.

Hmmm, perhaps these two things are just really difficult to detect or only they are detectable by those who know monitors very well, don't know if you are one of them or not but I am just wondering. I am supposively to recieve this unit in the mail today so I am hoping it works well.

I think ive settled on the 2410 for my primary display, but if i get the money up, will likely get 2 2412's for my secondary displays (for Eyefinity/expanded desktop). That way i can use the PnP and hook up my 2nd computer with 1 desk :)

I just got my 2412 last night, so far it looks nice. I am only using it on memtest right now for the new machine so i cannot give too many comments. To be honest I feel it is a little smaller than what I expected, but then again I have it in another room right now with the new pc running memtest. Once I clear off my desk and put it here I will know just how big it is, and it is pretty big. So far it is nice, I love the side controls on it, can adjust everything with buttons instead of using software, and the stand is great, full movement control!!

Got a question though, how to use the USB ports on the left side? I doubt seriously they are connected through DVI or VGA, or even HDMI, I assume I have to run a USB cable between the pc and the monitor to have access to those right? I think I saw a usb port on the bottom of the monitor on the other side..

Also, do I need to connect all three ports? hdmi, vga and dvi? I am not really familiar with hdmi , not sure the point of it, something to do about quicker displays or mostly for gaming? I need to do do some reseach on that one...

Got a question though, how to use the USB ports on the left side? I doubt seriously they are connected through DVI or VGA, or even HDMI, I assume I have to run a USB cable between the pc and the monitor to have access to those right? I think I saw a usb port on the bottom of the monitor on the other side..

Also, do I need to connect all three ports? hdmi, vga and dvi? I am not really familiar with hdmi , not sure the point of it, something to do about quicker displays or mostly for gaming? I need to do do some reseach on that one...

Those ports are part of a USB hub, so you need to connect a USB cable from your computer to the port on the bottom of the monitor that you saw.

It's only necessary to connect one of the three - the input is selectable. DVI is probably the easiest and best.

That's what I figured John, and I found the cable in the box too to do just that. I kind of figured there had to be some sort of connection to the pc.

In addition would it do any harm or good to connect all three cables to the pc? VGA, DVI and HDMI or should I just choose one of them?

That's what I figured John, and I found the cable in the box too to do just that. I kind of figured there had to be some sort of connection to the pc.

In addition would it do any harm or good to connect all three cables to the pc? VGA, DVI and HDMI or should I just choose one of them?

Just choose one, ideally either DVI or HDMI.

1. Why would you want to?
2. Dont use the VGA connection if you cant avoid it. Any of the digital connections will look better. To that end, the digital connections should all look the same, so it shouldn't matter which one you use.

The only harm i see is your computer might see all of the connections and be confused on which one it need to output too, so it might try to say, output your primary display to the DVI and a secondary to the HDMI.

I believe it will also use more GPU the more 'devices' you plug into the card, even if its the same display, the card may not know that.

(someone with more experience with this might correct me if im wrong)

I believe it will also use more GPU the more 'devices' you plug into the card, even if its the same display, the card may not know that.
It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but connecting outputs on the card to things you're not using certainly won't improve things. :) It's not like it'll re-render frames for each output, but it may turn on some conversion circuitry that doesn't need to be active. That circuitry may be on all the time anyway. HDMI and DVI use the same signal, so there shouldn't be any additional work to do there. Running audio through HDMI unnecessarily is trivial.

Back