• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick up a good monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dream3

Registered
Hey guys.

I've been wanting to replace my 2 old but excellent CCLF w2353v LG panels for something more up to date.

I tried a VA panel already which I liked very much because there was no bleed and no glow, however they had issues with clouding so I had to return them.
Now that I have more time to think maybe it's best if I could find a solid IPS with the least amount of glow possible (and no bleeding of course).

I'll be using it mainly for digital art, photo editing and internet browing. A bit of gaming, but not even full screen.

Budget is around $400. If I do find a cheaper IPS good enough for me I would like to buy a pair, otherwise no. I'd rather lose a monitor than having 2 ****ty glowy ones.

From what I gathered so far I should keep my sights on the Dell's Ultrasharp line, correct? If not, tell me!

From Dell, I found these:

u2415
u2412m
u2413
UP2516D
U2515H
U2715H

Would any of those be able to fit my needs, especially regarding glow or should I look elsewhere?
All suggestions are welcome!

I have experience with many Dell monitors and I personally use 3x of the U2414H.

I can't recommend the U2415, U2515H, or U2715H enough for your needs.

Also, thideras recently bought 4x of the U2715H, I'll direct him toward the thread for some comments.

I have experience with many Dell monitors and I personally use 3x of the U2414H.

I can't recommend the U2415, U2515H, or U2715H enough for your needs.

Also, thideras recently bought 4x of the U2715H, I'll direct him toward the thread for some comments.

I am partial to the Dell IPS monitors from longtime ownership of them This one is
the 8-bit color Dell U2413 which replaced my old 2007 1600x1200 IPS.

The other one in my sig (Dell U2414M) is a 6-bit color model which also does quite
well but you can see a difference between them with some experience.

Since I'm not a hard gamer without the need for quick response time
requirements I go with the Ultrasharp IPS models for general MS Word,
Adobe, database working computers.

However this U2413 does play CoD quite well with no lapses.

Last edited:
Great feedback there RT.
Even as a hardcore gamer I have no issues with my monitors and input lag etc.

I have heard very little complaint with any Dell monitors. The last I saw, and for some time now,
the IPS panels show on the engineering screen that they are all Samsung and LG.

Some of the gamer experts claim the TN panels are quicker and better for games and I'll always defer
the the guys who game a lot. It also depends on one's budget but the Ultrasharp's do have some great
sales if a shopper is diligent shopping for them on the Dell site. I have never paid retail for any Dell monitor.

This panel came from the Dell "Refurb" site and to be honest it looked and played like "New in the box."

There's a reason they can claim "The World #1 Monitor" for sure!

okay you guys seem to really like Dell stuff around here.

I've read about a lot of connection problems with the u2414h. Googled "u2414h issues" and several entries popped up. At the same times, TFTCENTRAL claims the u2414h has less glow than both the u2515h and u2715h. Damn tradeoffs!

Anyways, lets narrow it down to these:

u2515h - x1
u2715h x1
u2414h - x2

I would get the 2x U2414H for the extra workspace.
They're phenomenal monitors.

I've had no connection issues with mine, but know that Dell does have a great warranty program if you do have issues.

I would get the 2x U2414H for the extra workspace.
They're phenomenal monitors.

I've had no connection issues with mine, but know that Dell does have a great warranty program if you do have issues.

Can you refresh my memory on the difference between the 'h" and "m" models?
I remember with these older computers I have that I was not equipped for the
"h" connection so I bought the "m" model.

Can you refresh my memory on the difference between the 'h" and "m" models?
I remember with these older computers I have that I was not equipped for the
"h" connection so I bought the "m" model.

The M signifies an eIPS panel.
The H signifies a 16:9 screen.

For other's info:
The U is for the series, Ultrasharp.
The first two numbers are the screen size.
The second two are the generation.

The connection configuration generally follows the generation, but it isn't hard set.

The M signifies an eIPS panel.
The H signifies a 16:9 screen.

For other's info:
The U is for the series, Ultrasharp.
The first two numbers are the screen size.
The second two are the generation.

The connection configuration generally follows the generation, but it isn't hard set.

Ah, now after checking I am remembering the U2414h also connects via USB and the U2414M
connects DVI and I preferred the larger 1920 x 1200 screen for my needs with the "m" model.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...333,243285~0~15892799&prods=860-BBCG,320-2676

And as you stated the the M signifies an eIPS panel or my unofficial "e"IPS for "economy" (6 bit color vs. 8-bit color).

Dream,

It takes some study for the Dell monitors which I'm a little rusty at so compare all you are
considering if you are inclined to buy a Dell.

Yep, the M models are slightly cheaper than the non M models.
That's part of the reason for it having DVI vs HDMI/DisplayPort.

okay you guys seem to really like Dell stuff around here.

I've read about a lot of connection problems with the u2414h. Googled "u2414h issues" and several entries popped up. At the same times, TFTCENTRAL claims the u2414h has less glow than both the u2515h and u2715h. Damn tradeoffs!

Anyways, lets narrow it down to these:

u2515h - x1
u2715h x1
u2414h - x2
Atminside talked me into a U2414H monitor a year ago, it's a really nice monitor I have not had a single issue with it. I do play BF4 on it also without any issues. The coloring seems very true to my eyes.

Atminside talked me into a U2414H monitor a year ago, it's a really nice monitor I have not had a single issue with it. I do play BF4 on it also without any issues. The coloring seems very true to my eyes.

Now that I think back there's quite a few people I've coaxed into a Dell Ultrasharp with zero bad experiences so far

Now that I think back there's quite a few people I've coaxed into a Dell Ultrasharp with zero bad experiences so far

IMO monitors are the most difficult computer hardware to buy, there are so many with so many specs
that it can give one a headache shopping for them. The rest of the stuff is fairly easy pending a budget:
AMD or Intel, motherboards, SSD's, cases, GPU's, etc. but one looks at a monitor much more than
anything else with a computer and I want what suits me exactly. I've been down that road being unhappy
with a monitor when CRT's were still popular and LCD's were competing with them. Dell has never
disappointed.

Back