• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
most people in [h] display forum which is quite a bit more active for monitors then this one :(. Many of the people who post in the pa246q thread at one time owned a u2410 before switching over.

Is there any other IPS panel that is newer (than 2009) and good?
High end display technology doesn't move as fast as, say, GPU technology. I wouldn't worry too much about how long the product line has been around.

most people in [h] display forum which is quite a bit more active for monitors then this one :(. Many of the people who post in the pa246q thread at one time owned a u2410 before switching over.

Its kinda fugly :chair: too ferrari-ish for my taste. But is there anything *wrong* with the 2410? Or the 2412m for that matter? Assuming they've ironed out the issues since release

Its kinda fugly :chair: too ferrari-ish for my taste. But is there anything *wrong* with the 2410? Or the 2412m for that matter? Assuming they've ironed out the issues since release

I completely agree with you and personally would buy no new monitor mostly because I can watch craigslist in an area that is very active. A previous poster mentioned that screen tech is slow and that works very well with the used market on dell monitors. I recently picked up a 3007wfp-hc for $300 but such a deal is rare even in an active market. However at least on my local craigslist 2407-2408 ultrasharps can be typically be had for 200-250 but those are va. Personally if I had to buy new I would wait for the next high end series, which is rumored to be close, or buy a u2311h/u2411m despite eips ghosting as I think heavy filtering is worse.

Also given dells history it is rarely a good idea to buy a first rev high end panel. Personally I like slow hopping to proven ips designs via craigslist but that is not for everyone.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you and personally would buy no new monitor mostly because I can watch craigslist in an area that is very active. A previous poster mentioned that screen tech is slow and that works very well with the used market on dell monitors. I recently picked up a 3007wfp-hc for $300 but such a deal is rare even in an active market. However at least on my local craigslist 2407-2408 ultrasharps can be typically be had for 200-250 but those are va. Personally if I had to buy new I would wait for the next high end series, which is rumored to be close, or buy a u2311h/u2411m despite eips ghosting as I think heavy filtering is worse.

Also given dells history it is rarely a good idea to buy a first rev high end panel. Personally I like slow hopping to proven ips designs via craigslist but that is not for everyone.

Where did you read about those rumors? Wouldnt mind waiting for the new gen monitors.

That red stripe is pretty hideous.

I don't have time to say much now, but I just ordered a U2412M on Wednesday after watching the price for a while. I've read a lot of good stuff on [H] and elsewhere about it. It's not perfect, but it's a solid, 24" 16:10 IPS for a decent price. The U2410 has a better aRGB color range (gamut?), but when it's in sRGB mode, it's not as good as the U2412M. The matte finish of the U2412M is less aggressive. Aside from a few haters, people seem to be satisfied with it. Some complaints about the overdrive seem to be overblown and based on unrealistic tests. There are some of the standard issues like IPS glow and backlight bleeding, but that varies. Dell seems to be good about RMA for them.

(please ignore any misuse of color profile terminology; I don't fully understand it yet)

BB, Matt, anyone,

Do we know who is making the panel for the Dell U2412M yet?

no the only group other then lg that makes ips at all is hitachi with their alpha ips panels which are usually used in tvs. They may have some ips panel monitors but if so the panels would be lg

no the only group other then lg that makes ips at all is hitachi with their alpha ips panels which are usually used in tvs. They may have some ips panel monitors but if so the panels would be lg

BB,

I'm remembering this now. The older Dell 2007 1600 x 1200 model came in IPS and PVA (I think). LG made the IPS panels and Samsung made the PVA panels. Correct?

I know that the 2007wfp 1680x1050 monitors had a panel lottery where the pva was samsung and the ips was lg but I didn't know that this was the case with the 2007fp as well. I may have to look into that as I am currently looking for two 2007fp displays to flank my 3007wfp-hc

I know that the 2007wfp 1680x1050 monitors had a panel lottery where the pva was samsung and the ips was lg but I didn't know that this was the case with the 2007fp as well. I may have to look into that as I am currently looking for two 2007fp displays to flank my 3007wfp-hc

When I bought my 1600 x 1200 Dell, some of our guys here told me that there was a "lottery" on them and how to tell via the engineering panel. I have since forgotten how to access it on this 2007 Dell. A few of us got IPS panels and a few others received the PVA panels (LG and Samsung respectively).

There is an old thread on this here but it's several years old.

I don't have time to say much now, but I just ordered a U2412M on Wednesday after watching the price for a while. I've read a lot of good stuff on [H] and elsewhere about it. It's not perfect, but it's a solid, 24" 16:10 IPS for a decent price. The U2410 has a better aRGB color range (gamut?), but when it's in sRGB mode, it's not as good as the U2412M. The matte finish of the U2412M is less aggressive. Aside from a few haters, people seem to be satisfied with it. Some complaints about the overdrive seem to be overblown and based on unrealistic tests. There are some of the standard issues like IPS glow and backlight bleeding, but that varies. Dell seems to be good about RMA for them.

(please ignore any misuse of color profile terminology; I don't fully understand it yet)

Lemme know how you like it. You gonna game on it at all?

Lemme know how you like it. You gonna game on it at all?

That's the plan. I plan to eventually have 3 in Nvidia Surround on a much, much nicer computer I'll build in 4-8 months. The IPS wide viewing angle will make portrait orientation a viable option, depending on the game. I'm grabbing one now because this 19" 1280x1024 just ain't meeting my needs. I'll let you know how it works out.

First impressions:

I've only been using it for an hour now, but I'm really liking this monitor so far. I've played some Borderlands for a little and watched some videos, and nothing is jumping out as examples of poor response time. I think I did see a little bit of overdrive cropping up around the edges of block white letters moving slowly across solid black, but I think I can tweak that. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't specifically looking for it.

This monitor is really nice, but my opinion has some caveats. I just came from a 19" 1280x1024 TN monitor, so of course the size, resolution, color, and viewing angle are blowing my mind right now. The screen real estate is ridiculous. I only did a quick calibration, starting from some recommended settings and tweaking them with the Windows 7 display color calibration thingy. I intend to eventually use some kind of hardware calibration. It's possible that I'll find some real negative issues once I see the display without daylight coming in, and after getting used to it, but I don't think that's likely.

Hmm, unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have anything much more definitive for a while other than it looks great and I don't see any noteworthy ghosting or overdrive artifacts. My rig right now is pretty pathetic, so on action games I tend to get 20-30 FPS. I have a feeling that if there were ghosting problems, the framerate is obscuring them. Early next year when I've built my new computer, we'll see if that reveals any.

I'm not a "monitor person" with experience with many displays, so I'm probably not the person to ask if you're looking for an educated opinion. From a layman's POV, I like the U2412M though. I would recommend it without hesitation if you're okay with spending $330+ for a 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitor.

Back