• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20 drives but how do I do SAS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikey929

I've been researching all night (its 5am where I am right now) and, before I go to bed, I wanted to ask some questions before I wake up tomorrow and forget them all :).

I just got a rack that can store 20 drives, which has spurred this project :). I have 16 drives which are a mix of 2TB western digital green drives (advanced format), 400gb western digital black drives, 1TB western digital green (not advanced format) and 2TB Samsung Eco drives (advanced format). I have all the basic system components. Its all hardware from an older gaming rig. The mobo is a Gigabyte ga-p35-ds4, the processor is a Q6600 and there is 8GB of ram.

After researching, it seems what I want is a SAS LSI2008 based card. I plan to do JBOD with the disks and use Drive bender for redundancy (on WHS). Nothing important will be on these drives, 90% is just media and the other 10% will be non-critical backups (basically stuff that is already backed up in 2 other places but are not easy to get to). If you could be so kind, I have 2 basic questions I am stuck on and could really use some help.

The first question is a recommendation on a card. I don't have a budget but since I am only buying a HBA and, I assume cables, I'd like to keep things under US$300-400 but its very flexible. What card would you recommend I use? Do I need a SAS expander for 20 drives (though I only have 16 right now, I'd like to leave room to add 4 more)? Or is there one card that can handle this? I do have 8 sata ports on the motherboard as well, but 2 of those ports have always been a bit flaky.

My second question is going to sound stupid, but how do I use SAS with SATA? It seems there is some kind of conversion cable or something? In everything I have read, its pretty much a given that everyone knows this, but I have no clue so please be easy on me. I hit Wikipedia but it was no help on how to do this practically. How many sata drives can be connected to a SAS port and how would I do that?

Thank you for any help!! I'm heading to bed now but I'll be back in 8-10 hours :).

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA, you don't have to do anything.

If you are going to use software to combine the drives, the controller you use doesn't matter. I would suggest one that simply presents the disks to the operating system directly (i.e. not a RAID controller). It doesn't even have to match, if you use multiple.

Back