• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k Overclock (Beginner)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miguel.Teixeira

Registered
Hey all!

First of all, i'm new to the forums :)

As the title says i want to oc my cpu. I'v been reading alot about oc, specifically on this cpu.

I just have some questions before starting to play with it :p

My current system is:
PSU: Corsair TX-650W V2
CPU: i5 2500K @Stock
Cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems (2x NoiseBlocker XL2)
MoBo: Asus P8P67
Mem: 4GB GSKILL RIPJAWS X 1600 1.5V 9-9-9-24
HDD: 1 SEAGATE 500GB SATA III (Boot Drive)
GPU: Sapphire 6870 @Stock

My case is a Cooler Master Elite 370 with 2 fans (1x provided (Back), 1x NoiseBlocker XL2 (Front)).

Yesterday i ran prime95 for about an hour. I've read the temps using RealTemp and the max temp was 59c, but the average was 53, 54c.

What do you guys think about this temps? Normal? Good? Bad?

Thanks ahead for replies :)

Temps are fine, you have about 30C to go. ;)

You can raise up to about 45x multi with just a bump in Vcore (Go to 1.35 for now and see if that works). After 45x , enable PLL Override votlage and keep on pushing. I wouldnt go past 1.4v for 24/7 use personally.

Thanks for replying.

Could you explain what PPL Overvoltage does? Why set to enable/auto? I ask this, because i've seen ppl saying to set to enable and a whole lot of others saying to set to disable....

And i know this depends on many other factors, but 1.35v isn't a bit much for 4.5ghz?

Sorry, I dont know specifically what it does. What I do know is around the 45x multi or so you need to enable it to push through to higher multipliers. If you are 45x (or so, it varies) or below, it can be disabled.

It may be. But Im just giving you a high level how to overclock. Its YOUR job to find the lowest voltage for the clockspeed you choose.

Tomorrow it's national holiday here, so i have plenty of time to play with it :)

I'll be posting the results here :)

Just a reminder. Turning on "Internal PLL Overvoltage" makes Windows have tons of trouble waking from sleep. Hell, it's pretty rare to have a chip wake from sleep with Internal PLL Overvoltage turned on from what I've seen.

Just figured I'd let you know. :)

Just a reminder. Turning on "Internal PLL Overvoltage" makes Windows have tons of trouble waking from sleep. Hell, it's pretty rare to have a chip wake from sleep with Internal PLL Overvoltage turned on from what I've seen.

Just figured I'd let you know. :)

Correct, if you plan to use safe mode the setting has to be set to Off (not sure if Auto works or not, but I don't think so).

I turn it on to benchmark then turn it off for 24/7 use (I can sit at 4.7ghz without in on to give you an idea, I may be able to go higher, but I don't want to use more vcore).

(I can sit at 4.7ghz without in on to give you an idea, I may be able to go higher, but I don't want to use more vcore).

I've even gone all the way up to the 50x multiplier before turning on "Internal PLL Overvoltage". Anything above the 50x multiplier needs Internal PLL Overvolt turned on in my experience. :)

On my newest build, I have my chip overclocked 24/7 @ 5.0GHz with 1.4v and I leave Internal PLL Overvoltage off. No issues with sleep whatsoever. :D

Thanks for the replies :)

Since it's my first oc, i'll start off easy.

4.0Ghz, maybe 4.2Ghz...

So for those speeds definitely PPL should be set to Disable right?

1 more question:

What about mems? Are they any worth oc'ing? Will i see any significant increase in performance?

The memory frequency? You will see a very very negligible difference when going higher on the memory frequency. Anything above 1600MHz and you will only see superior performance in benchmarks; but not real-world scenarios like gaming and such.

And another thing, the new ram sold today is based on PSC chips. Which can overclock, but nothing like the older HyperIC chips that could overclock like madddd. The PSC ram sold today doesn't scale with added voltage even remotely as well as the previous HyperIC ram chips.

Yeah tomorrow, i'll post the results here!

Thanks for the help :)

Do you have any recommendations on how to test the stability?

Do you have any recommendations on how to test the stability?

You can use:
-Prime95 - Blend test (technically you can use any tests)
-LinX - Set to "All" memory
-IntelBurnIn
-OCCT

All of those programs can be found with a simple Google search. :)

I personally love using LinX, as finding full stability is fast. But, in the past I've used all of those programs I listed.

Should i use them all? It's there any order?

I notice that's quite a discrepancy in the amount of time that shows that the current "oc profile" is stable....

How much time would recommend?

Should i use them all? It's there any order?

I notice that's quite a discrepancy in the amount of time that shows that the current "oc profile" is stable....

How much time would recommend?

You can just use one or as many as you like. I like to use Prime95 and LinX. Prime95 needs to be ran for 12+ hours in my experience to deem an overclock fully stable. LinX can find full stability in 2-4 hours (just be sure to set to ALL memory).

IntelBurnIn is the most intense stress test program in my experience, and everytime I've used it I found rock stability in a very short amount of time.

I'll run LinX for about 2-4 hours, and them prime95 (blend) for the rest of the day :)

Tomorrow i'll post the results (or problems) here :)

I'll run LinX for about 2-4 hours, and them prime95 (blend) for the rest of the day :)

Tomorrow i'll post the results (or problems) here :)

Good plan. I usually let Prime95 run overnight. When I do this, though, I turn off the "Sleep" mode in Windows by going into "Power Options". That way the energy saving features don't interfere with the stress test. :)

Back