• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweet&low

Registered
Hello everybody I am new here. Was wondering if you guys could take a look at what I did and see if it is right. I had very limited adjustments do to hardware.

I read probably 40 different guides before I started this just to get a good idea of what to do.

Here are the specs on the comp. I know its older stuff right now. My new computer is on its way so I figured if I broke something on this one who the hell cares.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Dou E7600
MB - Asrock 4CoreDual Sata 2
Ram - G.Skill DDR400
CPU Heatsink- OEM

Here is what I have done so far. (I know its nothing crazy)

Chart of steps I took.
Chart.jpg

Prime95 Test Results (Ran it for 4hrs with no problem but forgot to take screen shot)
Intel-Overclock.jpg

Any help on where to go next will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you are off to a good start, you should probably up your FSB a bit more, and continue upping the Vcore and Northbridge (MCH) voltage as needed. Your temps are OK right now, I'd keep them under 80C, although with the stock fan you will run into that limit pretty soon I would imagine.

Also important: do one thing at a time, set your ram divider as low as it will go and just test to see what FSB you can get to (set your CPU multi low as well), then you can lower the FSB and up either the RAM divider or CPU multi back up to full and start adding FSB to find out one or the other's limits (not doing both at once). Once that limit is found then you can do the other one.

It sounds complicated, but it becomes pretty easy after doing it a few times on different platforms.

Looks like you are off to a good start, you should probably up your FSB a bit more, and continue upping the Vcore and Northbridge (MCH) voltage as needed. Your temps are OK right now, I'd keep them under 80C, although with the stock fan you will run into that limit pretty soon I would imagine.

Also important: do one thing at a time, set your ram divider as low as it will go and just test to see what FSB you can get to (set your CPU multi low as well), then you can lower the FSB and up either the RAM divider or CPU multi back up to full and start adding FSB to find out one or the other's limits (not doing both at once). Once that limit is found then you can do the other one.

It sounds complicated, but it becomes pretty easy after doing it a few times on different platforms.

Ya I would of started doing that next but I have no control over the voltage of anything with this board or the ram divider. The bios and board have very limited Advanced setting. I know the CPU can go higher but I can't adjust the multiplier high than 11.5 since it locked. Is there anymore I can do or is this about it on this setup.

If you can change any voltages you are pretty much limited to changing your FSB.

Think I found the Dividers so I am going to play around with it some more and then update what happens. Thanks for the direction and letting me know I am on the right track.

Well went back and found out what I thought was the divider was. It only had two Options 1/4 , 5/8. All the first testing was done at 1/4. So I switched it to see if I could get more out of the CPU and get the ram back to where it was.

Well here are the results. The two highlighted in green are my options My question is which will be the best to run.

28iw66t.jpg

15rl09c.jpg

Most likely the one with the CPU at a higher speed will give better performance.

Is there a way to test which would be better with like a benchmark program. And if so which program would you recommend.

There are A LOT of benchmarking programs. The best ones are real world ones, such as games. If you have any games with "in game" benchmarks that is a good start, OR if you don't, simply use 3dmark01, 3dmark06, etc.

Don't use cpu benchmarks, use a GAME benchmark because that is realistic and not synthetic.

Alright I have all the 3dmark's and furmark's so I will just use those. Just wasn't sure if there was any specific one for that kinda testing. Thanks guys for the help.

Back