• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Files corrupt on download, no reason why.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but this is becoming a serious problem.

For a Long time now, my laptop (Toshiba x205) has had issues when downloading certain files. I download them, and run them, and not long into the unpacking i get "file is corrupt" errors. I try this several times, none of which seem to download correctly.

Reason im posting here now is because im at work. I have my laptop plugged in to the local network (i have network permission to do so) and tried and got this issue. However when i downloaded and ran the same file on my work machine, it had no issues.

I would like some suggestions on how to correct this, or at least, what to do to find the issue. Here are a few things im already considering.

- Im going to try to run a maleware scan on it later today, but somehow i dont think thats the problem.

-I dont think its a browser problem because ive tried it in Firefox and chrome, Firefox being recently updated and chrome newly installed. I would like some suggestions on how to correct this, or at least, what to do to find the issue.

- There is plenty of harddrive space for the downloads.

- Im running/downloading the files in Admin profile.

Any help would be great.. Google isnt turning up much of anything useful.

Here is what I would do, in order:

Try another browser (anything)
Check SMART data of the hard drive with HDTune
See if files copied across the internal network exhibit the same issue
Scan for infection
Reinstall the OS with the restore disks

Here is what I would do, in order:

Try another browser (anything)

As ive said, ive tried multiple browsers

Check SMART data of the hard drive with HDTune
My D: Drive shows ok, nothing is displayed for my C: drive (where i download files to)

See if files copied across the internal network exhibit the same issue
Scan for infection
I cant really test for copying within the network, cause our network is basically for internet. P2P sharing isn't allowed for non-domain (my laptop) computers.

Reinstall the OS with the restore disks

This, i reeeally want to avoid cause this would take days to get everything back to how it is now.

It doesn't show the SMART information at all for the main drive?

If you have a flash drive, copy the file that is working to wherever you normally download your files and see if it works.

It doesn't show the SMART information at all for the main drive?

If you have a flash drive, copy the file that is working to wherever you normally download your files and see if it works.

That does work. Which is what i keep having to do for compressed files. Its just downloading them directly doesn't work, and its only been a few files so far.

Its happened on the compressed .rar files for adobe suite, and now the StarWars beta install.

Instead of using HDtune to check your C: drive (is it an SSD?), use crystaldiskinfo. Use the portable version, not the installer.

If your OS drive is an SSD, what's the manufacturer & model number?

If CDI shows any errors on the C: drive (positive non-zero figures in current pending sector & uncorruptable errors count as errors), you need to replace the drive.

Instead of using HDtune to check your C: drive (is it an SSD?), use crystaldiskinfo. Use the portable version, not the installer.

If your OS drive is an SSD, what's the manufacturer & model number?

If CDI shows any errors on the C: drive (positive non-zero figures in current pending sector & uncorruptable errors count as errors), you need to replace the drive.

Ill look into that.

No its not an SSD. Its a 7200 RPM WD 250gig. Its only alittle over a year old and i would argue that it shouldnt be failing, but it IS in a laptop, which does get moved. Though i would have thought 2.5" drives would have more shock protection than their big brothers. (and no i dont move the machine while its running)

As much of an improvement SSDs would be for my lappy, they are still too expensive for the amount of space id need. This machine originally have x2 120 gigs, but one of them (the D:) was going bad so i replaced both of them with 250gigs (need more space)

Back