• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob help i7 2600 oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigeonfood

Registered
Im wanting to oc my i7 2600 non k...it is currently at 3.4ghz but i want to potentially oc to 4.2ghz, which I have read can be done. I want to know if this can be done safe, I will be purchasing a h80 cpu cooler if I know this can be done.

Firstly, :welcome:
Secondly, for us we need more info to be able to actually help you. How far you can overclock will depend on the chip, motherboard and ram.

So what motherboard and ram are you using?

thank you, andty again for responding....
In desperation I went and bought an Asus Essentio CM6850-07 desktop
I'm currently upgrading everything to make it into a beast for gaming
gpu:evga 560 ti (upgrade)
psu: 700w ocz (upgrade)
mobo: p8z68-v pro, intel z68 express chipset
ram: 8g, potentially 16g

h80 cpu cooler is everything goes to plan.

no, there should be a sticker of some kind somewhere on the ram that will say something like this:

DDR3 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-2t

I believe the multiplier is capped at 39, so you can probably tweak the blck. But having it run outside the turbo range is hit and miss.

Also, even when running within the turbo limits the 2400 is still a very fast processor.

Im a noob in this area of computers, so "oc for dumbie" terms wud be great.
Thanks for the help

you are going to want to figure out your max multi. so it sounds like it is going to be 39 on all cores. so you will set that in the bios. then find your vcore settings and turn it up until it is stable under a stress testing program. then once you find out how to get it stable at 3900mhz or 100baseclock and multi of 39. start increasing your bclk (baseclock) slowly and until it fails once it fails raise your vcore until it fails drop it back continue testing for stability.

This is a ridiculously quick and dirty guide so get to know your motherboards bios and try to just overclock it a little bit and see if it is something you feel comfortable with.

Feel free to ask more questions and read every overclocking guide you can.

Thank you for the help, 39 on all cores.....how much speed is that going to give me ya think? 100mhz more isn't enough to go crazy over...like i said before my main target is 4.2ghz max even if i can get more.

Hi and welcome!

To get 42:
Go to your bios (press delete when your pc boots)

Look for the cpu settings Go into your turbo limit. Enter 42. (There are hidden extra bins on the non K 2600. I'm certain of it.) You can hit a maximum of 42. Leave voltage on auto for now and manually enter 42 as your max turbo ratio. Remember. 42 as the turbo, don't touch the 'standard' cpu frequency setting. Save settings and reboot.

Don't play with the BCLK. It is risky. Leave it at 100 (also in bios). You can leave the RAM on auto for now you won't hurt it even if it's feeding 1.5 stuff 1.65. Let's be gentle and go 1 step at a time as you say you are new to this.

BTW Technically you can hit 4326 with a BCLK of 103 but this could cause SATA and RAM instability. :)

Cheers dude, thx for the reply...yes im only wanting 4.2ghz. When I do this what shud i do or look for then? Will I have to worry about temps?

Temps are usually the things that kills HW. download core temp or real temp to monitor temps.

Safe is up to you. but for me I wouldn't go higher than 70'C. Also most of the time your computer will BOSD (blue screen of death) before it kills itself. but there is no guarentee that it will survive at all. but it is a manageable risk. taking small steps will increase your odds of keeping everything alive.

I dont have the AI tweaker to change my turbo settings!! If ppl are able to oc their non 2600 cpu by using the ai tweaker why cant I? my mobo is a P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155.
Plz help!! thx

i press delete to get to my bios and it brings up the EFI bios utility-ez mode....and nothing in this allows me to change any cpu settings. The only thing i can use that is related to cpu speeds is the three options, Power savings....Default.....Performance...plz help

Back