• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD 6970 BUT WHICH BRAND??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Guys, I have no clue on which brand to choose. Someone suggested MSI and thats what I've decided on. Any reason why I should go for MSI? Here are the specs of the system Im about to buy:

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x ...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active ...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thermalright Venomous X - RT 120mm CPU Cooler

MSI Lightning/TwinFrozrII/whatchamacallitthesedays have great cooling and overclocking potential.

Other than that, pretty much any of the reputable brands such as Sapphire, EVGA, etc will do.

Hello. I just received my XFX Radeon HD6970 this morning.
It's installed and I love it!
This is the second XFX card i have bought, and I have 2 friends, one of them bought the XFX Radeon HD6870. The other one bought the HD6950.
All of them are working fine. The MIR process has also gone smoothly for all 3 of us.

i have a Radeon 6950 2gb XFX and i love it!
but how i chose my brand was
1. warranty (i got a lifetime for free)
2. price/MIR (i got mine $30 cheap then all the other because of a $30 rebate)
3. any free thing IE games crossfire thing and anything else

Personally, I go with XFX because of their double lifetime warranty, but I've bought Vision Tek in the past, Gigabyte, as well as Asus and eVGA and have not really had a problem with any of them. I have a pair of 6970s and a 6850 from XFX right now and I have a passively cooled Gigabyte 6770...all work fine. The only dead card I've ever received was a Sapphire branded card and that was a goof up on Newegg's part where they accidently shipped me an RMA card even though I bought new. (they made it right by refunding me and knocking 25% off my next purchase.)

I have 3 Sapphire 6970s, before these I had 2 Sapphire 5870s, and before that, 2 Sapphire 4980s. I have never had them die on me. I think they are great, BUT be warned Sapphire's warranty process for RMA is not the best.

Personally, I go with XFX because of their double lifetime warranty, but I've bought Vision Tek in the past, Gigabyte, as well as Asus and eVGA and have not really had a problem with any of them. I have a pair of 6970s and a 6850 from XFX right now and I have a passively cooled Gigabyte 6770...all work fine. The only dead card I've ever received was a Sapphire branded card and that was a goof up on Newegg's part where they accidently shipped me an RMA card even though I bought new. (they made it right by refunding me and knocking 25% off my next purchase.)

Exactly. I buy xfx. I have a friend that buys sapphire cards and he hasn't had any problems.
...the reference cooler is also pretty good. At stock settings, with the fan at 50%, idle temp is around 34c for me, and the highest it gets is 60C during 3Dmark 11. With the fan at 100%, max is 56C.

I have 3 Sapphire 6970s, before these I had 2 Sapphire 5870s, and before that, 2 Sapphire 4980s. I have never had them die on me. I think they are great, BUT be warned Sapphire's warranty process for RMA is not the best.
I've been running sapphire cards since the 9800 pro days and have *knocks on wood* never had one die either. In fact, I have a sapphire 9800se flashed to a 9800 pro that still works and my x1900xt probably has close to 50k hours on it.

I've been running sapphire cards since the 9800 pro days and have *knocks on wood* never had one die either. In fact, I have a sapphire 9800se flashed to a 9800 pro that still works and my x1900xt probably has close to 50k hours on it.

I also had an x1950pro AGP card waaay back! :D its still running a fine also! I sold one of my old towers to a guy about 5 years ago with it in there. I actually got a call from him this July. He said the machine was shutting down and sometimes locking up. I went over there, ran gpu-z and found the card idling(!) at 80c. I took it apart and the card's heatsink was FILLED with dust. after a cleaning it was back to idling around 40c and running fine again.

:attn:

Back