• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
I have this Radeon RX 480 which I never got working because if I try to view videos or play games in fullscreen it makes the system freeze and then boot and sometimes display gray static...

Any ideas what I could try to fix this?

I have installed newest mobo bios and tried with older and never (GPU) drivers

Here's my full system specs:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4GB 2xHDMI, 2xDP, DVI
CPU: Core i7 2600K, LGA1155, 3.4 GHz, 8MB
HD: 120GB Vertex 2 Series SSD
RAM: HyperX 2x4GB, DDR3 1600MHz, CL9
Mobo: P8P67 LE, Rev 3.0, LGA 1155, Intel P67, DDR3, ATX

Note: I used to have HD 6870 on this same machine and it worked fine... which is why I believe the problem is with the new GPU

thx!

Last edited:
What power supply do you have? How old is the power supply?

My guess is that the video card is bad. What is the history on it? Did you buy it new? Do you know how it was used prior to your ownership? Was it coin mining or folding?

You could try to ensure that all of your drivers are updated especially your sound drivers. Since you've already done the BIOS and video drivers sound is the next obvious culprit.

Depending on your answers to the above questions, it could just be a bad video card.

edit: Check your RAM for errors. I like Memtest86+ to test RAM.

What power supply do you have? How old is the power supply?

My guess is that the video card is bad. What is the history on it? Did you buy it new? Do you know how it was used prior to your ownership? Was it coin mining or folding?

You could try to ensure that all of your drivers are updated especially your sound drivers. Since you've already done the BIOS and video drivers sound is the next obvious culprit.

Depending on your answers to the above questions, it could just be a bad video card.

edit: Check your RAM for errors. I like Memtest86+ to test RAM.

I have Antec Earthwatts EA650 650W power supply. It's about 8 years old.

I bought the card new and haven't done overclocking or mining. I don't know what folding means

All the problems started when I installed the card so I guess the system it self is fine.

Not necessarily, that PSU is getting up there in age and I know there were some Antec 650s a few years back that had some issues. If you had another PSU to test with that would be great but odds are you don't. As Wingman suggested, do you have a DMM (digital multi-meter) you could measure the outputs with?

Not necessarily, that PSU is getting up there in age and I know there were some Antec 650s a few years back that had some issues. If you had another PSU to test with that would be great but odds are you don't. As Wingman suggested, do you have a DMM (digital multi-meter) you could measure the outputs with?

No I don't. What would it measure? the max watt draw?

Check the 12V rail while the system is running and under load situations. Find a molex connector from your PSU and use the yellow wire (12V) and black (ground) to measure the DC voltage. If you find it's dropping more than 5% or low 11.3V and lower it's likely your PSU is failing

If the volts are bad shouldn't the same thing happen with other graphics card?

No... as this card uses more power under load than your other by a bit. It could be the straw that broke the camels back. ;)

No... as this card uses more power under load than your other by a bit. It could be the straw that broke the camels back. ;)

How about two HD 6870 on crossfire? Because that's the setup I had

Not more than that..... good to know 11 posts in that you had two 6870s (first post didn't mention two!!).

I'd still verify levels with a mm if possible. Earthwatts, wasn't great back in the day, and an eight year old model concerns me even more.

Can you run that new GPU in another PC and it works fine?

Not more than that..... good to know 11 posts in that you had two 6870s (first post didn't mention two!!).

I'd still verify levels with a mm if possible. Earthwatts, wasn't great back in the day, and an eight year old model concerns me even more.

Can you run that new GPU in another PC and it works fine?

Sorry for forgetting that detail. I don't have other machine to test with

When you try to run this card, does Furmark work by chance?

Can you run Prime95 Small FFT on your PC and see if it crashes?

You are almost out of words for options at this point.

Thanks guys for those suggestions. I will probably do some tests at weekend

Yeah. Having had CF as your last GPU was important but not a big deal here. We'll always give you the best answers we can.

With the current information on your PSU (Power Supply Unit), that's where I'm leaning now. 650 watts is above the 500 watts recommended for the RX 480. With age, PSUs produce less and less power and if the unit you have had a bad track record, you may be due for another PSU. I recommend a new PSU even if that is not the problem. You're due.

The symptoms that you give really do point to the GPU. When you go to full screen it crashes. The cause could be a bad GPU, bad PSU or a driver issue. Checking all drivers for your machine to include the chipset and sound card are the cheapest and easiest options to try. Finding a friend with a know good machine to test your card in would probably be next and a new PSU is just a good plan. Be sure to get an 80+ certified from a known good manufacturer.

Next. How old is your GPU and who makes it? Can you call tech support and maybe RMA it?

Finally, You don't know what folding is! what the......! Please look here and please join us.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-Folding-Team

Next. How old is your GPU and who makes it? Can you call tech support and maybe RMA it?

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-Folding-Team

About year old... It's Sapphire. I have been contact with the sapphire customer service but I don't have much hope of help coming from there because they want me to reinstall windows and try different GPU driver. Which I think is pathetic but what do I know... I will try that too.

Thanks for the folding link.. seems like it's the stuff that makes GPU scream out loud :D

The OS reinstall isn't a bad idea, honestly.... and you said you tried different GPU drivers already so....

The OS reinstall isn't a bad idea, honestly.... and you said you tried different GPU drivers already so....

I forgot to mention that I already reinstalled OS after this problem actually broke the whole OS...

Back