• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help HD 6990 Quadfire on Skyrim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaManInSoCal

I know, i know... overkill... but the fact is that i have two of them and i cant even get one card to initiate xfire with skyrim. quadfire works great on every other game i have but i get nothing but one gpu on one card for skyrim. I have tried the radeon pro fix, the rename.exe fix...the atiumag.dll fix the d3d.dll fix and NOTHING i repeat NOTHING will get even ONE more gpu to kick in. I even cleaned out all my old drivers and reinstlled the 11.1b performance drivers. I have CAP2 installed and NOTHING. I took one card out of my pc..rebooted and tried it that way. NOTHING. afterburner shows NO usage on gpu2-4. or even gpu2 when i have one card running. This is in Skyrim ONLY. I apoligize if my tone seems irritated its just ive been working on this for 2 weeks and hoping once official drivers from AMD came out they would rectify the situation... but no luck. If anyone has any idea what to do please respond. Right now i get good frame rates but it does drop below 40 every now and then when alot of stuff is going on. I want to have the room for later to be able to use high res texture mods and not effect my performance.

Thanks for your time...

DaManInSoCal

System Specs:
Intel I7-2600k @ 4.4ghz
Asrock P67 Extreme 4
Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD
WD Caviar Black 2tb
Corsair vengeance 8gb @1666
MSI HD 6990 Quadfire @ 900/1425

strange question, but have you turned on multi-core rendering in your GPU settings? Steam (only saying this since i know bethesda is using steam as the drm) sometimes screws with auto-settings (like with DragonAge) and you have to manually set it.

strange question, but have you turned on multi-core rendering in your GPU settings? Steam (only saying this since i know bethesda is using steam as the drm) sometimes screws with auto-settings (like with DragonAge) and you have to manually set it.

In CCC u mean? Yeah it is set to enable for 3d and 2d. Also i should add when i play Witcher 2 and Deus ex 2 through steam quadfire works fine. and there are no strange questions at this point :) so i appreciate all the help i can get

also i just finished DLing Fallout 3 NV because i purchased it on sale over the weekend through steam. Its using all 4 gpus, 2 more heavily then the other 2 but still im getting action on all 4gpus.

Last edited:
so im feeling a little like an idiot right now. I was playing skyrim in windowed mode cause it had better frame rates. like the alt-tab fix. xfire doesnt seem to work in windowed mode. unfortunately still have to alt tab to get the darn thing to stabilize and its only using 2 of the 4 gpus... but its stuck at 60 fps (vsync enabled) now so im happy :) if anyone has any idea how to kick in the other 2 gpus let me know :)

There have been mixed results with X-fire running with Skyrim & 11.11b. I personally noticed a performance difference whne I installed the 11.11b drivers but have not used FRAPS to see the exact fps increse. It is far more fluid when I play now. Some on the otherhand have experienced negative x-fire results. I'll fire it up with fraps and post results here.

I dont remember where I saw it but it basically said the rules of SLI/CFX are DX 10+ and fullscreen.

Glad you figured it out.

Sorry, I went into Skyrim just to get a sceenshot and couldn't stop playing it for 1 1/2hr:p

Both outdoor and indoor are maxed at 60fps which is the cap for this game. Does anyone know a way to get around the cap? yep, V-sink is off.

Also, I think the IQ is better with the 11.11b

Attachments

• SKYRIM 11.jpg
    SKYRIM 11.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 320
thanks for the help guys and as for the vsync:

Disable Vsync
Access the SkyrimPrefs.ini again and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section. This can improve a sluggish framerate and eliminate instances of mouse lag. Thanks to Tweak Guides for this one.

Sorry, I went into Skyrim just to get a sceenshot and couldn't stop playing it for 1 1/2hr:p

Both outdoor and indoor are maxed at 60fps which is the cap for this game. Does anyone know a way to get around the cap? yep, V-sink is off.

Also, I think the IQ is better with the 11.11b

Nice frames dude. I should be pulling the same deal with my 6950's on 11.11b but for some reason I still have some issues out doors. Also your game looks really nice man, any mods? Any settings manually in CCC?

I used auto-detect and for some reason the game still thinks I should be using high instead of ultra :shrug:

Nice frames dude. I should be pulling the same deal with my 6950's on 11.11b but for some reason I still have some issues out doors. Also your game looks really nice man, any mods? Any settings manually in CCC?

I used auto-detect and for some reason the game still thinks I should be using high instead of ultra :shrug:

yeah after the mods it looks a lot better. I have installed these...

Enhanced Night

HD 2k mod

I cannot find the snow mod off hand but te mods definately helped.

Still wish I could figure out why my frames are in the low 40's outside.

It might be your shadow settings. This is what my game is set to.

Attachments

• skyrim settings.png
    skyrim settings.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 264
You've got your settings pretty low for two 6970's, I have my game on ultra so that would definitely explain the low frames.

I selected Ultra this afternoon and everything is still pegged at 60fps... ;>P

but the Ultra setting dropped my AF to off automatically. later tonight I'm gonna jump AA & AF to 16x and then select 64x morphological filtering. Then we will see what it does.

but the Ultra setting dropped my AF to off automatically. later tonight I'm gonna jump AA & AF to 16x and then select 64x morphological filtering. Then we will see what it does.

I just set my stuff up the way you have yours and the game runs buttery smooth, honestly I don't see a whole lot of graphical difference but then again when playing this game it's easy to not notice the things around you haha

Unfortunately I'm now being plagued with the crash to desktop no warning deal. It's happening literally every ten minutes on the dot. I love this game to pieces but it seems to be plagued with so many issues.

Would you even notice a difference? Seems excessive!

I keep telling everyone this -- in your VISION Control Center, ensure everything is set to Application Controlled. You'll absolutely destroy your performance if your drivers are adding another, unnecessary layer of filtering.

I have Anti Aliasing at 8, Multisampling at 16, everything at High/Ultra and all reflections turned on. It looks absolutely gorgeous and runs phenomenally fast.

screenshot162x.jpg

gpus not being used

Hi,

Was wondering if you ever figured out why half your gpus are not being used? I'm having the same issue with my three 6970s where only two of three gpus are being utilized. All three work in other games like you said exactly. Using latest whql drivers and profiles,

Thanks.

I know, i know... overkill... but the fact is that i have two of them and i cant even get one card to initiate xfire with skyrim. quadfire works great on every other game i have but i get nothing but one gpu on one card for skyrim. I have tried the radeon pro fix, the rename.exe fix...the atiumag.dll fix the d3d.dll fix and NOTHING i repeat NOTHING will get even ONE more gpu to kick in. I even cleaned out all my old drivers and reinstlled the 11.1b performance drivers. I have CAP2 installed and NOTHING. I took one card out of my pc..rebooted and tried it that way. NOTHING. afterburner shows NO usage on gpu2-4. or even gpu2 when i have one card running. This is in Skyrim ONLY. I apoligize if my tone seems irritated its just ive been working on this for 2 weeks and hoping once official drivers from AMD came out they would rectify the situation... but no luck. If anyone has any idea what to do please respond. Right now i get good frame rates but it does drop below 40 every now and then when alot of stuff is going on. I want to have the room for later to be able to use high res texture mods and not effect my performance.

Thanks for your time...

DaManInSoCal

System Specs:
Intel I7-2600k @ 4.4ghz
Asrock P67 Extreme 4
Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD
WD Caviar Black 2tb
Corsair vengeance 8gb @1666
MSI HD 6990 Quadfire @ 900/1425

Back