• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X3 710: Cpu running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkclock

Registered
myrig.jpg

Last night i encountered a problem with my Extreme Gear fan. The fan started malfunctioning by not turning at full speed only 1/3 of the speed its capable of. I have came to the conclusion my Extreme Gear CPU fan is about to see the end of its life. Can someone give me a good cheap recommendation on a CPU fan that's decent enough to overclock. I would like to overclock my "Amd Phenom II x3 triple core" without frying my CPU and its transistors, but first lets figure out good replacement for the fan itself!

Thanks,

darkclock

=============== ===================================
ID-INFO 190833 SP2Z
MODEL2 MEGA

CASE FAN:
XTREME GEAR ICE-928 INTE/AMD
Motherboard:
MB-342-101 GIGABYTE AMD MA790XT AM3 DDR3 1666+/1

Powersuppy:
PS-120-101 SIGMA SHARK 635WATT POWER SUPPLY

Graphic card:
VC-174-103 ATI RADEON HD 4870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5
CPU:
CU-199-201 AMD PHENOM II X3 710 TRIPLE CORE HT R
=============== ===================================

Last edited:
u might consider.....

Youtube: Air Mods for AMD Phenom 965 on AIR 4GHz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Mods for Overclocking AMD Phenom 965 BE on AIR to 4GHz
Youtube:

Frakk: Yeah the CPU fan sits on the side to left and i knew it was cheap fan from the start. Damn if i knew it was blowing hot air on my CPU i would of replaced a lot sooner you think my CPU is damaged at all from the screen shot? Thanks for the recommendation with the OCZ coolers. Do you know if the OCZ cooler will fit my RAIDMAX SAGITTA II case. let me know..I can take pictures of it, so it be easier to find the right one too.

looks like this but red fan and not the same brand : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999016

Last edited:
Frakk: Yeah the CPU fan sits on the side to left and i knew it was cheap fan from the start. Damn if i knew it was blowing hot air on my CPU i would of replaced a lot sooner you think my CPU is damaged at all from the screen shot? Thanks for the recommendation with the OCZ coolers. Do you know if the OCZ cooler will fit my RAIDMAX SAGITTA II case. let me know..I can take pictures of it, so it be easier to find the right one too.

looks like this but red fan and not the same brand : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999016

Your CPU temperature reading in that screen shot is 61c, Phenom II CPUs are rated at 62c, and that's AMD's conservative rating with safety margin.
The actual temp that will start doing damage is probably over 65c, so you should be ok, also if your BIOS is setup correctly it should power down the CPU before it gets to its critical thermal tolerance.

How long has that cooler been sitting on your CPU? what ever you decide to do (new cooler or just the fan) if your current cooler has been on the CPU for some time 'like a couple of years' the thermal compound might be dry and ineffective, you will have to take it off, clean up the CPU cap and the contact plate on the cooler and then apply some fresh compound.

Be careful before removing the cooler, don't just pull at it as it might be bonded to the CPU, give it a light tug, if its not coming off then gently twist and move the heat-sink from side to side until it lets go of the CPU, if you pull to hard it might pull the CPU out of the locked socket still attached to the heat-sink, if that happens it could damage the pin clamps inside the socket.

As for the fan, your CPU cooler fan looks to me like a standard 80mm fan, now don't take my word for it but an 80mm fan in the same sort of fan casing and having a 4 pin plug on it should fit your cooler as its only held on with wire pins.

As for a new cooler in your case, i can not be sure, what you need to know is the height of the cooler your looking at and how deep your case is, in other words will it physically fit in the case, the other thing you need to know is what socket is the cooler for and what socket is on your motherboard.

AM2 / AM2+ are slightly larger then AM3 / AM3+ sockets

And last you will be pleased to know that your cooler is NOT one which blows hot air back at the CPU :)

This is the price/performance leader: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

This is the absolute best air heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

The heatsink mounting points are identical for AM2, AM2+, AM3 and AM3+, they look different but the actual clip locations are identical.
They're also extremely similar for 939 and 754, the vast majority of heatsinks that fit the newer sockets will fit 939/754 and vice versa.

EDIT:
Lastly, the core temps are the important temperature, and yours are doing fine.

Your CPU temperature reading in that screen shot is 61c, Phenom II CPUs are rated at 62c, and that's AMD's conservative rating with safety margin.
The actual temp that will start doing damage is probably over 65c, so you should be ok, also if your BIOS is setup correctly it should power down the CPU before it gets to its critical thermal tolerance.

How long has that cooler been sitting on your CPU? what ever you decide to do (new cooler or just the fan) if your current cooler has been on the CPU for some time 'like a couple of years' the thermal compound might be dry and ineffective, you will have to take it off, clean up the CPU cap and the contact plate on the cooler and then apply some fresh compound.

Be careful before removing the cooler, don't just pull at it as it might be bonded to the CPU, give it a light tug, if its not coming off then gently twist and move the heat-sink from side to side until it lets go of the CPU, if you pull to hard it might pull the CPU out of the locked socket still attached to the heat-sink, if that happens it could damage the pin clamps inside the socket.

As for the fan, your CPU cooler fan looks to me like a standard 80mm fan, now don't take my word for it but an 80mm fan in the same sort of fan casing and having a 4 pin plug on it should fit your cooler as its only held on with wire pins.

As for a new cooler in your case, i can not be sure, what you need to know is the height of the cooler your looking at and how deep your case is, in other words will it physically fit in the case, the other thing you need to know is what socket is the cooler for and what socket is on your motherboard.

AM2 / AM2+ are slightly larger then AM3 / AM3+ sockets

And last you will be pleased to know that your cooler is NOT one which blows hot air back at the CPU :)

The cooler has been sitting on my CPU for a year. I was planning on reapply thermal compound if i decide to replace the CPU cooler. Its werid the CPU fan spins at the correct speed, but after the computer has been on for more than few hour or overnight it goes at a slow turning ratio. From my point of view almost looks like its about to stop because its turn at such a slow speed. Im not sure what is causing this, but i also had a hardware service bluescreen :( today. It sounded like long palsing beep and goes to bluescreen and i then rebooted the desktop. I wondering if this CPU cooler is causing this problem.

thanks for the great advice and im glad my CPU is running at the right temp and its not bad cooler :).

Bobnova: thanks for the recommendation!

Hope we can figure out what is cause this problem. I would of posted yesterday, but its been busy week with college.

Edit: now my CPU cooler is turning at the same slow rate at all times. Do you think its just the fan or would i be better off replacing the whole cooler?

Let me know soon as possible thanks.

coresystem.jpg

Cores temp of each core actually when down in temp when my CPU fan is turning slower kind of odd.

I am wondering if those core don't exceed over 61c Im ok from any damage to cores right or should i not use this desktop until i fix the fan or CPU cooler?

Last edited:
Back