• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay cool thanks, I will try out 3.7 GHz temporarily in a bit to see if it goes through fine. If so after we back it back down and lower VCore, if possible I would like to bump RAM up a bit if it is capable.

I was looking at coolers and I have been wanting to watercool for awhile so hate dumping money on a new cooler as of now. Maybe it is finally time to setup water cooling ha.

Well, 3.7 GHz was an instant fail. So it seems I have maxed out at 3.6 GHz, which means doesn't look like I am hitting that 3.8 I had hoped for. What is the next best step to take?

Well, 3.7 GHz was an instant fail. So it seems I have maxed out at 3.6 GHz, which means doesn't look like I am hitting that 3.8 I had hoped for. What is the next best step to take?

Better cooling so we could take the Vcore off of Auto and add enough to make greater than 3.6Ghz stable. The reason I did not suggest lowering Vcore earlier was that I knew we would likely get to needing 1.42Vcore or greater as we approached ~3.8Ghz.

IF you have Cool n quiet still enabled and Balanced set in Windows power config, the multiplier is going to fall back to about 800Mhz or so when doing nothing and temps wlll fall dramatically. So I am torn on trying to drop Vcore at this juncture for what will likely be a very small reduction in temps at 3.6Ghz. I was hoping that an extra 100Mhz from 3.6 to 3.7Gghz was probably going to work, but that temps would be very borderline. At that point I spoke of dropping back to 3.6Ghz and trying to lower Vcore, but with the immediate failure of 3.7Ghz...it is most likely the Vcore for 3.6Ghz is pretty close to as low as it will go. You could set Vcore to manual and try and adjust Vcore manually to a number just less than 1.42 volts as that is what the board is auto supplying under load.

You could try to drop multiplier to 16.5 and bump the FSB to 220 and that would equal 3630Mhz and the ram would jump up about 80Mhz as well.

What I am of a mind though is that with the Vcore being auto set to the speed of 3.6Ghz, that if we start trying to bump all these other things, the real value will only come with good cooling and most of what we do will have to be redone if the cpu gets cool and we can feed it more voltage to go faster. That is where my mind is hung right now.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Hey well appreciate all the feedback. I will play around with it a tad more, but will probably just leave it be for now until I decide to upgrade cooling which may be a little while depending on the route I go.

One other thing I noticed is you are still running stock NB Frequency maybe a bump up and a bump up in the cpu/nb voltage. Though this may increase the heat issue.

Yes I was wandering on this to, I would really like to see this increased. Not sure if it is a capability currently though. How much do you typically bump up voltage on something like that? .2?

Okay thanks. Well I will cut back the multiplier and try to tweak the FSB and RAM a bit and post back tomorrow probably, but other then that I will wait until I get better cooling and maybe crank it up a bit more.

Well I have done some more testing and successfully have ran P95 at 3.630 GHz and the FSB at 220 which effectively overclocks the NB and RAM in the process.

Here are some screen captures and there isn't any temperature difference.

I would assume this is probably as far as I can take it for now until better cooling correct?

Looks like all that is left is overclocking my GPU a bit and I am done.

Attachments

• CPU4.jpg
    CPU4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • Memory4.jpg
    Memory4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 25
  • SPD4.jpg
    SPD4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
  • HWMonitor4.jpg
    HWMonitor4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 26
This is where overclocking gets to be real. Try 222 x 16.5 = 3663Mhz. It might do that small bump by way of FSB and not fail and not get much hotter. This is what those that bench for score all the time do. They tweak it until it squeeks.

This is where overclocking gets to be real. Try 222 x 16.5 = 3663Mhz. It might do that small bump by way of FSB and not fail and not get much hotter. This is what those that bench for score all the time do. They tweak it until it squeeks.
Ha, well I think I know where I'm sitting now until better cooling, but I may try to push it a bit further. Thanks again.

Ha, well I think I know where I'm sitting now until better cooling, but I may try to push it a bit further. Thanks again.

Look man we have so many come in that just don't get it, that helping you has been a breath of fresh air. You have done exactly as asked to do and without a bunch of questions that chase rabbits. And you showed no fear.

Oh yes you are cautious about temps, but with the captures we would not just up and try to mis-lead you in just pushing too too far for too long.

Learning what just 2 FSB increase looks like, gets your feet wet when it comes time to tweak the last 'good' speed that can be had. That is a balance of voltage/speed/temps. You are getting the grip on that very well. Congrats man.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Hey, well thanks again. Like I said I have a good knowledge on computers just never dealt with overclocking to much so wanted to get a bit of advice before going further.
I will probably stick with the current setup for now, but I am sure once I get my system liquid cooled like planned that you will probably see me back with a few more questions regarding voltage.

I will probably stick with the current setup for now, but I am sure once I get my system liquid cooled like planned that you will probably see me back with a few more questions regarding voltage.

Start reading the stickies in the W/C section. I read and re read them a bunch of times before I took the leap. I run my 955 at 4.0 24/7 and temps never get above 41 under normal loads. I've had it 2 hours stable on prime at 4.2 with 1.5 v core and temps were 53. Be careful though water cooling is addictive :) Good Luck.

Ha thanks. I will have to check it out. I am unsure on pump and radiator. I will have to look into it a bit. I have been wanting to from the beginning but never did.

my 955 stepping 2 cpu tops out at 3.9ghz and 1.52 vcore
my 955 stepping 3 cpu tops out at 4.3ghz and 1.46 vcore.
so stepping matters.
both cpus will peak at 64c and are stable at 60c, but i would never recomend you run these temps, just letting you know that they will be fine with high peak temps. 55c on the cores is as high as you should go for a 24/7 overclock.

found my tim mounting pics.
this is the amount of as5 i use and the results.

Attachments

• PIC_0377.JPG
    PIC_0377.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PIC_0383.JPG
    PIC_0383.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info, good to know. Well after I get some better cooling I will take it a bit further. So you thank 3.8 shouldn't be a problem with my CPU with proper cooling? As in liquid cooling.

Back