• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HexaCore Restoration Project underway (AMD Phenom II 970 Zosma) *Pending 960T*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just remembered using it for a non BE chip, and having to lower the memory speed before raising the HT reference clock. (That's what AMD called it, anyway)

Alaric, you are right on the money. Stupid me I thought you were referring to the Hyper-transport clock speed with that first reply. Yes absolutely do know all about raising the HT reference clock. In short it's a frequency bandwagon. Getting a little more experience in that department lately with my other build, an AMD Phenom II B75. Since this processor has a locked multi, you have to raise the HT ref aka front side bus to capitalize on performance. That's all well and good, but unfortunately, unless I can find a custom BIOS for my A880GZ I wont be tweaking my 960T with the FSB, since it's not an option listed in the stock BIOS. Only thing I can do is work with multipliers. Guess Biostar had to do that to create a market niche for their T series line.

They call it that because bus clocks are before HT was introduced in 2001.... Lol. But pretty much the same thing.

That's all well and good, but unfortunately, unless I can find a custom BIOS for my A880GZ I wont be tweaking my 960T with the FSB, since it's not an option listed in the stock BIOS. Only thing I can do is work with multipliers. Guess Biostar had to do that to create a market niche for their T series line.

I might be able to help you with that. :)
We'll talk at home.

Storm I read what you posted about the AIO water. Personally the way you're going I wouldn't waste my time with one. You seem to have fallen into the trap so just get a big custom loop like the number of us have if you have the space to do so. Honestly a kitty litter bucket, a water block, pump, some tubing and a rad you'll see much better temps then the AIO and in the winter nature will be your friend!

Mandrake, I think that's going to be my chosen path in life. lol I happen to have a spare radiator from my Honda VFR 800. I also have an extra rad from my Arctic Cat ThunderCat 900 which I may be able to modify for use with a liquid cooling system. I have a feeling this is going to get really fun and really fast! Never thought I'd be using my automotive skills on computers, but hey you just never know what twists and turns will be thrown your way. Better be on my A game! Research first and foremost because this is going to be all new stuff for me.

Mandrake, I think that's going to be my chosen path in life. lol I happen to have a spare radiator from my Honda VFR 800. I also have an extra rad from my Arctic Cat ThunderCat 900 which I may be able to modify for use with a liquid cooling system. I have a feeling this is going to get really fun and really fast! Never thought I'd be using my automotive skills on computers, but hey you just never know what twists and turns will be thrown your way. Better be on my A game! Research first and foremost because this is going to be all new stuff for me.
Truth be told I don't think that working on the Pc's and overclocking them is much different then racing a car. Yes I'm being simplistic but overclocking a Pc isn't much different then pushing a car. You need to keep it cool and feed it more of what it needs to make it faster. Making other components more efficient makes the whole setup faster! Anyhoo, I love my kitty litter bucket for it's convenience. Winter time, I throw the rad outside and even on a mild day I'll still see like +6c water temps and that's a whole lot better then you're going to get with the inside air. Being located where you are, north of me I imagine you'll see dramatically better results then I with water temps. Like I said earlier, I've seen as low as -20c temps and that's pretty darn fun to overclock at. Plus you also don't have to worry about feeding a Cpu block Dry Ice or Ln2. Though, I will say using both those mediums is a heck of a lot of fun.

Go to a junkyard it you must, Some OEM cars (such as Nissan & Toyotas ) came with small automatic transmission & oil coolers about the size of you hand.. IE: looks like a miniature radiator

Yeah I'll be sure to check the local yards here in Schenectady, NY. I'm also going to be purchasing 1 Phenom II 960T per month until I can find a diamond in the rough. This is going to be a long term project not gonna happen over night but it will all be worthwhile once I flip that switch for the first time with liquid cooling. And yes, mandrake overclocking is very much like hot rodding. In my case, I like engines as much as I like CPUs. I think a well built engine is very much like a well built CPU only in 3D form. You have to have strong connecting rods and a strong bottom end such as a forged crank and pistons to create a good foundation. You need good fuel delivery which could equate to voltage delivery on a CPU. You must have cylinder heads with good airflow characteristics. The system as a whole must work together well. Same applies for both CPU theory and engine building. In my case, I chase after the best build CPUs and the best built engines, such as the Rotax 800 you could find in the 1996 Seadoo XP, or the Ford Taurus SHO engine which was a 3.0L DOHC motor build by Yamaha under contract. On snowmobiles I always went for high displacement (there is no replacement for displacement lol). Such as the Thundercat 900. That's about 180HP in a 600lb sled = rocketship. So definitely one can draw some distinct parallels between the two. My theory is never stop modding! lol

Fox body Mustangs have a heater core about the size of a 240 rad, and it's behind a cover held on with two screws once you pull the glove box down/out. Takes about 10 minutes on average.

Yeah I'll be sure to check the local yards here in Schenectady, NY. I'm also going to be purchasing 1 Phenom II 960T per month until I can find a diamond in the rough. This is going to be a long term project not gonna happen over night but it will all be worthwhile once I flip that switch for the first time with liquid cooling. And yes, mandrake overclocking is very much like hot rodding. In my case, I like engines as much as I like CPUs. I think a well built engine is very much like a well built CPU only in 3D form. You have to have strong connecting rods and a strong bottom end such as a forged crank and pistons to create a good foundation. You need good fuel delivery which could equate to voltage delivery on a CPU. You must have cylinder heads with good airflow characteristics. The system as a whole must work together well. Same applies for both CPU theory and engine building. In my case, I chase after the best build CPUs and the best built engines, such as the Rotax 800 you could find in the 1996 Seadoo XP, or the Ford Taurus SHO engine which was a 3.0L DOHC motor build by Yamaha under contract. On snowmobiles I always went for high displacement (there is no replacement for displacement lol). Such as the Thundercat 900. That's about 180HP in a 600lb sled = rocketship. So definitely one can draw some distinct parallels between the two. My theory is never stop modding! lol
I have a 94 supra that makes around 750 rwhp at 2.5 bar, I have to bug on both ends as well. Same goes for Caddi Daddy, Johan45 and Scotty :D

Subbed. Very subbed. Since I'm putting together a rig of that vintage for benching and may have a line on a Thuban, I'm going to be going over this thread with a fine toothed comb. :thup:

Alaric, what's the status on your Thuban? Have you taken delivery yet? Would love to see what you can do with it!

Interesting to note, and this is really the first time Ive picked up on it, that raising the CPU-NB to appears to have a negative effect on level 3 cache latency. And a good deal of latency at that.

Somehow I don't think this is just a "bad run" As I went back in my archives and found a couple instances where the same thing happened. Can anyone confirm this paradox? You would think more bandwidth at static timings would result in lower latency L3 cache. Especially since IMC speed is tied directly to processor L3 cache.
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I actually have two at the moment. A 1045 I bought and a 1100 loaner from caddi daddi. The 1100T went to 4400 MHz but needed more cooling. I got a BSOD (thermal) trying Cinebnch. 4200 MHz seems pretty stable though, with good temps. I have to gather my water loop as finances permit so it's a slow process sometimes. I pulled the 980 BE out of my backup rig, hoping to do some core for core comparisons between Deneb and Thuban along with just spankin' the critters. I put a 1045T in the backup and it purrs away happily at 3100 MHz when it ramps up with nary a hiccup.

Here are a few subs running SuperPi 32m on my cold loop. Judging by the voltage on some of the runs, ie the 955 and the 960T. I'd bet it was one of my good cold nights.

So despite moving this week I've been busy here buying more processors. I purchased another 960T, this time from a US based seller so should be here early next week. Also scored a QX6850 as I sold off my Q9550 a few months ago and I've been chomping at the bit to get another. The 960T was only $34.95 and the QX6850 was $40 shipped.

I will update this thread with the results of my latest acquisition. Hopefully the new 960T can bench a little higher than what I'm getting right now. Also seriously considering a Fractal Celsius S36. This loop is okay because it allows for customization and I can add components down the road if I so wish. I'm going to add 5 1/4" tank reservoir and I'm going have to cut up my nice coolermaster sileo 500 case to make it work but that's a small price to pay for performance ;)

The QX6850 will be going in my HP Slimline build and I hope to get 4.0Ghz out of it by utilizing ThrottleStop for a software overclock. ThrottleStop is a delight to use and I'd highly recommend it if you want to get the most out of your Core 2 Extreme CPU but your motherboard overclocking options are limited / and /or non existent.

Enjoy!

L_00003847.jpg
qx6850-original-intel-core-2-extreme-qx6850.jpg

The Quest for 4.0Ghz and 3.0Ghz CPU-NB goes on!

So my latest acquisitions have arrived. I have a new 960T and the QX6850 ready for benching.

Thanks to Johan we will be running the Asus P5Q3 mainboard and DDR3 1600 memory for the Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme.

As for the new 960T, it does not unlock to an X6, but it clocks very well as just a quad core. I was able to get 4.1Ghz and 3.0Ghz CPU-NB right out of the gate. Results posted below:

Phenom II.jpg

CPU Cache and Memory benchmark 960T.PNG

QX6850 (can't wait to turn the wick up on this one)

core 2 quad.jpg

Back