• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HexaCore Restoration Project underway (AMD Phenom II 970 Zosma) *Pending 960T*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New results with new 960T X4 @ 1.550 vcore: (look at those temps son!)

Capturezz.PNG

cpu z.PNG

Capture.PNG

EDIT: The quest goes on for finding a hexacore that can bench like this!

I recently acquired yet another 960T to see if we can successfully unlock the two hidden cores and find something that benches at 4.0Ghz x6.

According to UPS that package should arrive later today and we will jump right in at that point. Results, data and pictures to follow.

:clap:

EDIT: The goods have arrived! Unfortunately, I already have a major problem. Looks like the CPU was damaged in shipping and literally the whole outer row of pins way out of alignment including one that is folded completely over on itself. I will do my best to save this thing but I'm a little worried to say the least. I've high lighted the area of damage.

IMG_20180823_153611528.jpg
Capture 960T.PNG

Last edited:
Easy fix. They're all on the outside row. Mechanical pencil and take your time. ;)

Easy fix. They're all on the outside row. Mechanical pencil and take your time. ;)

Excellent! We are in the clear... I used a credit card and mechanical pencil to reverse the damage and align the pins. AND IT POSTED! So that's a start.

NO SPOILERS here you will see what I'm doing so when I get the results real time, I will share them here. So far, we have it unlocked to all six cores and running it at stock speeds to get a handle on stability. I'm going to then activate a CUSTOM P-State and see if we can overclock this puppy!

EDIT: Up to 3600Mhz across all six cores! I'm gonna call this a partial win already but not getting my hopes up yet for 4.0Ghz!
Capture1600T.PNG

:thup:

Last edited:
Looking good so far. Those pins looked more like some putz yanked it out of the socket badly. Fortunately, it's an easy fix, as you noticed.

Those pins looked more like some putz yanked it out of the socket badly.
Yep.
I been that putz before. :p

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Excellent! We are in the clear... I used a credit card and mechanical pencil to reverse the damage and align the pins. AND IT POSTED! So that's a start.

NO SPOILERS here you will see what I'm doing so when I get the results real time, I will share them here. So far, we have it unlocked to all six cores and running it at stock speeds to get a handle on stability. I'm going to then activate a CUSTOM P-State and see if we can overclock this puppy!

EDIT: Up to 3600Mhz across all six cores! I'm gonna call this a partial win already but not getting my hopes up yet for 4.0Ghz!
View attachment 200865

:thup:

Should be able to cool 1.475v on air. Should be able to do 4.0-4.2 on that voltage. I can boot Windows @ 4.2 - 1.45v on an old XP-90 air cooler......just for reference.

Probably wondering why I didn't update the thread... well my power supply went boom. So before it popped I was able to get 3.8Ghz stable across all cores. I can also run the CPU-NB at 3.0Ghz. So I have the CPU out again and on it's way to my apartment to test in my other Thuban based rig. I should have it up and running later tonight and we will see what she can do at that point. I have a sinking feeling it's not gonna be a 4.0Ghz CPU but I'll be happy at 3.8 for now.

Knock that NB frequency back to realism. Your clocks will get better. There is no replacement for raw MHz. NB frequency is secondary.
My NB frequency is only around 2600-2800 over 4 gig. At 3.6 it'll go over 3000.

Knock that NB frequency back to realism. Your clocks will get better. There is no replacement for raw MHz. NB frequency is secondary.
My NB frequency is only around 2600-2800 over 4 gig. At 3.6 it'll go over 3000.

I tested everything here in isolation mode. Meaning when I hit 3.8Ghz I had the CPU-NB at the stock 2.0ghz. Just to see where everything falls before I go ahead and put it all together. But it is good to know that CPU-NB may need to be reduced for max clocking.

Hey Guys,
Looks like we can only get 3.8Ghz out of this chip :(

So, I'm still gonna call this a partial win because we are only 200 Mhz short of our goal and all six cores are stable.

It's been fun chasing these 960Ts down and I figure I'll just run this one for now until I get bored with it.

Considering my old 970 processor was a champ at 3.9 - 4.0ghz, we are not far behind. Plus, this CPU posts no matter what.

When you OC some Phenom IIs, they tend to go dark sometimes between reboots, causing some irritation. So after all, there is a silver lining here.

Latest results from AIDA64:

Capturethirtyeight.PNG

Put some cold water to that and it'll be a star. ;)

Cooling is your worst enemy right now.

Seriously storm winter is coming get a rad, pump and a block and stick it outside!!!!!!!! You'll be amazed what even 6c water temps will get ya. I've seen -15 water temps on some good nights and you're north of me.

Seriously storm winter is coming get a rad, pump and a block and stick it outside!!!!!!!! You'll be amazed what even 6c water temps will get ya. I've seen -15 water temps on some good nights and you're north of me.

That sounds like fun. I'm looking at an aquarium/fountain pump and a big cooler full of ice water. :D

If I had the money. I'm generations behind in CPU tech as well, but that doesn't stop me from having fun. I'm in the middle of procuring a "sponsor" so to speak, who may fund my overclock endeavors. If that goes through I may have up to $1000 a year to spend on my hobby. That would be great and I'd love to help the HWBot team out.

I'm telling ya get a big kitty litter bucket, a big pump, I have a Dannar 700 gph pump I think I payed like $60.00 for it, some hardware store tubing, water block, a rad, I have an old Thermochill Pa 120.3 with 6 * 2200 rpm yate loons on it. I rigged an laptop charger up to the fans to run them and just plug the pump in. I run it on windshield wiper fluid as per Scotty and Johans suggestions. It cost me about $150.00 total and it hella fun in the winter. I'll also add, put some old PII chips under cold water and you'll be surprised how much of a beating they'll take.

Exactly.
Not for nuthin but, I live for generations behind hardware. They're more fun.
My Skylake system just sits in a box.

Exactly.
Not for nuthin but, I live for generations behind hardware. They're more fun.
My Skylake system just sits in a box.
Same here Scotty. Some of my older hardware is a lot more fun to play with. Plus blowing up a $20.00 chip doesn't hurt much, though I have been lucky. My favorite chip is my 955be, that thing just takes a beating and asks for more.

Same here Scotty. Some of my older hardware is a lot more fun to play with. Plus blowing up a $20.00 chip doesn't hurt much, though I have been lucky. My favorite chip is my 955be, that thing just takes a beating and asks for more.

955 is a classic chip. I pushed my 965 pretty hard and it takes it no problem. Except I have no use for it now with all these 960Ts around. I was going to try selling it but if you are interested I'd let it go pretty cheap plus you'd get the forum friend discount.

Back