• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It could be purely heat related, but we can't tell for sure. Most of the time we solve issues via a process of elimination. The heat issue just stood out to me as I recall how the temps climbed up on my cpu pushing for 3.8 and noticed you had a lot less room to play with before even starting to clock up.

Did you see my EDIT > END EDIT about temps? I posted it later than my full post.

I have to be away from the puter for a little bit. I will check by in a while.

IF you raise to 17.5 Cpu multiplier and P95 Blend does not fail and temps are still within the temperature window>>> post the 3 captures I mentioned so can see them HWM/CPU/MemoryTab.

Then bump the multiplier to 18 and run P95 Blend again. Pics if it passes.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Here is the pics of 17.5 Multiplier.

Attachments

• CPU2.jpg
    CPU2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 23
  • Memory2.jpg
    Memory2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 23
  • SPD2.jpg
    SPD2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 24
  • HWMonitor2.jpg
    HWMonitor2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 24
Here it is at 18x. I noticed temperatures are starting to climb.

Attachments

• CPU3.jpg
    CPU3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
  • Memory3.jpg
    Memory3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
  • SPD3.jpg
    SPD3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 24
  • HWMonitor3.jpg
    HWMonitor3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
Judging by the rate the temperature is rising. I have no doubt having it at 3.8 GHz before along with NB over clocked was pushing it past its limits thermally.

By the way saw your edit RGone, I have doubts on the effectiveness of the cooler itself. However, I do not think the case is holding in it personally do to the large number of fans I have.

Yea, the 1200 is AMAZING! I almost went with that on my current build, but there's NO way that it would fit anywhere near my desk.

I would suggest picking up a Hyper 212 Evo. Their cheap and they work.

Justin I'm going to agree with you on your case not holding you back, looking at the idle temps on some of your other components. It may be time to invest in a new cooler. Depending on how much you want to spend. As mentioned above CM Hyper 212+ or EVO are good products you may be able to get 3.8 with either of them and a good thermal paste. If you are really intent on getting a high OC you may want something a bit better.

BTW, I don't think I'd push that overclock any farther until you do get another cooler. Those core temps are about maxed.

Yeah I think the case is great overall, didn't see anything better at the time for my needs.

I was actually looking into CPU coolers now, I noticed a lot seem to use Hyper 212 Evo.
I can't say I like the look of the design though, however sometimes functionality is more important. I like the Zalman all copper coolers, but not sure how they compare.

Well, looks like I need to check out a better cooler ha, appreciate the feedback. Do you think I can over clock the RAM/FSB any with this current setup and still be stable?

The Xigmatek I looked at had a very similar design to the EVO. I'm not to worried on price to a certain extent. I will look into getting a better cooler. The one I have now was pretty high priced, but I think looks outweighs functionality on it.

@Justinds89, I will buy you have plenty of case cooling.

I am not suggesting you run at 18.5 x 200 for days on end, but I see nothing wrong with trying a 20 min P95 on Blend and see if that 3700Mhz will run thru for at least 20 mins since that will give us a pretty darn good idea of how well that cpu might clock. IF you get 20 mins of P95 Blend (No Fail) and the Core Temps don't get more than 58/9c and the CPU temps do not get beyond 65/7c then we might back her down to 3600Mhz and see if we can get 'er to run with a shade less Vcore and stable which will take a little more heat away and let you run 3600Mhz while you get better cpu cooling.

If I can get this list to stay in a fairly readable format, you will get to see about the first 25 to maybe 30 (I did not count) coolers as tested by FrostyTech Cooler com. They put each cooler thru a 125watt load and do the measurements. That means they have a measured heat load and can get pretty consistent results in their testing since they are not depending on a cpu and software to load the cpu.

They show if the fan is on 'high' and what the DB level is. I use this as a pretty good "pointer" before I buy and then I check to see if users in forums have trouble with getting ram to fit in sockets close to the cooler itself and a general idea of how my choice from Frosty Tech could do in the real world. It saves a lot of time.

Code:
Manufacturer:	Model No.: 	*Fan Speed: 	125W Thermal Test (°C)	Noise Level (dBA)
[u]Xigmatek  	SD128264 Aegir	high	11.0	49.1[/u]
Thermaltake	   Frio	              high	11.1	 62.6
Noctua	              NH-D14	              high	11.2	 48.1
3Rsystem           iceage 120 Boss II	 high	11.2	49.9
Zalman              CNPS10X Extreme	 high	12.0	 58.2
Thermalright      Silver Arrow	              high	12.2	 43.4
Tuniq	         Tower 120 Extreme	high	12.3	 43.5
Thermalright	Ultra-120		 N/A        12.4	 53.7
Zalman	        CNPS9900 Max	 high	 12.5	 54.5
Zaward	        Vapor 120	              high	 12.6	  51.6
Prolimatech    Megahalems (80CFM) 	high	 12.7	  53.0
Zalman	    CNPS10X Flex (80CFM)	 N/A	 12.7	  51.2
Noctua	          NH-C14	              high	 12.9  	  46.6
Zalman	       CNPS10X Quiet	high	 12.9	  46.8
Spire	    Thermax II (SP67951)	high	 12.9	  57.8
Titan	       TTC-NC15TZ	              high	 13.2	  50.0
Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer	high	 13.2	  51.3
Coolermaster	V8	             high	 13.4	  52.6
SilenX	        EFZ-120HA4	             high	 13.7	  48.7
DeepCool	       Ice Blade Pro	             high	 13.7	  46.1
Sunbeamtech	Twister 120	high	 13.8	  51.2
Akasa	             Venom	             high	 13.8	  54.1
Xigmatek	           DK-S1283	             high	 13.8	  49.6
Titan	         TTC-NK85TZ	             high	 14.0	  58.6
Thermolab	BARAM                                14.0	  53.0
Thermolab   BARAM 2010 (80CFM)	high	 14.0	  51.3
SilenX	   iXtrema IXC-120HA2	high	 14.1	  52.9
Scythe	    SCRT-1000 Rasetsu	high	 14.2	  59.5
Coolink	         Corator DS	             high	 14.2	  54.9
Xigmatek	         HDT-S1283	             high	 14.2	  50.7
Thermaltake      Contac 29	             high	 14.4	  48.2
Prolimatech   Megahalems (50CFM) 	high	 14.4	  45.1
Coolermaster	Hyper 212 Plus	high	 14.4	  50.1
Xigmatek	            HDT-S1284EE	high	 14.4	  44.2

Crap on getting that thing lined up in 'code' for column display. I bought the one I underlined but as yet have not tried it on my FX-8120. I wanted to push it on my rednake water cooling.

That is the link to the full list of coolers that are used in AMD mounting format.

I see you already got the link to Frosty Tech testing that I mentioned above. The deal is you can go big that fits or go middle of the roadish. I bought Low-profile ram so I knew it would fit under the cooler I bought. A lot of things go into choosing a CPU cooler that is not usually done before the buy. It costs more that way usually though.

Now at least you don't have to say your rig won't overclock at all since we see it does. Congrats man.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Back