• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

960T idles at 39C!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RustyCage

Well to start I have been building an HTPC/Light gaming rig for my brother that includes the following equipment:

***First of all if you don't know already, Newegg will sell CPU/MOBO combo deals that are in no way compatible ( I should've looked closer, but I bought a FX-4100 chip combo with the asus M4a88t-m le board, thinking it was one of the ASUS boards that could use BD with a BIOS update... WRONG)****

Sooo after that I found the 960T for $110 on Newegg, I was excited after reading successes of low temps and great OC potential

I now had a configuration as follows:

CPU: 960T
Board: asus m4a88t-m le
RAM: Gskill 8GB (4x2)
GPU: Zotac GT 430 1GB
PSU: Thermaltake 500W (Not their best series as I later realized but will work for now)
CASE: Silverstone GD05

So once I booted up, messed around in the BIOS a little bit, tried both locked cores...no dice :( (and don't worry I didn't plan on running either of the other cores for extended periods of time with stock cooling) OC'd to 3.8x4 (as I've seen many people have success with on air and stock cooling) with 1.3Vcore installed windows, I opened up HWMonitor and saw that TMP01 was at 51C at Idle! Now after looking at the individual core temps they were about 10 degrees cooler, so I thought well maybe there is a discrepancy in the temps so I booted into the BIOS and reset all settings to default and rebooted.

Once back in the BIOS I checked the BIOS temp and it was still 39C!! Now I should've checked the BIOS temp when I first booted the machine up, but I was too excited and a little impatient...

Then after booting into windows with all stock settings, my temps in HWmonitor tmp01 were at 39C just like the BIOS! This is still what the machine idles at.

I used MASSCOOL's shin-etsu from newegg, in a pea sized dot on the chip and then just carefully mounted the factory HS. I thought at first that maybe I had applied it wrong,(though I've done it many times on my sig and never had a problem) so I removed the HS and it was almost perfectly distributed. I reapplied, only to see the same results.

The one thing I don't like about the Silverstone case is that it only comes with two fans mounted on one side of the case (although they both blow directly onto the HS) . All the time I was testing, I had the case open, so even with poor airflow I can't see getting these kind of temps with an open case.

What the heck is going on??!

You'll have to test at stock clocks and voltages, once you start OCing all bets are off. Especially since I've heard that the 960t comes with one of the silly little aluminum heatsinks.

well now after leaving my computer on all bios cpu temp is idling at 44C!! is this normal even in an htpc case with stock cooling?

If the chip is overclocked and the HTPC case is low airflow, yes. Good? No. Normal? It can be.

It shouldn't be that high if that is accurate.
My 1090T with stock heatsink at 1.3V at stock clock sits at 23C idle. That is with the side panel off. With it on, it's around 27C.
Even when I am giving it 1.5V idle is around 32C.
A friend put my heatsink on...he put some Arctic Silver 5 on it and spread it around on the CPU with a paintbrush so that there was a thin layer covering the whole thing.

Back