• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what kind of fans should i get for my haf 912

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pairenoid

Registered
i only have stock and i want one for the top of the case, side, and one small one for the front

i dont know the sizes or which ones would fit but i do know the side and top are really big..prob the biggest one is 200 right? should i get the side to intake and top to exhaust

how do i set up intake/exhaust anyways

also would it be ok to plug those into the mobo instead of psu

just recommend any decent brand!

I'd start here.
Coolermaster page on HAF 912 cooling

shows the correct setup for intake/exhaust, but the fans are really up to you. noctura fans are pretty silent and good on performance, as are some scythe fans. it all depends if you want performance over quiet etc.

I do not know the coolering you need.
The case comes with two 120mm fans, which can be used at side and back. I remember them as A-series about 1000rpm.
I ran all CM R4 fans, then went to two 200mm.
Amazon has about the lowest price on 200mm Cooler Master fans.
I added a Cooler Master R4 Exhaust fan to increase flow and add LED accent, and a 140 mm Yate Loon SM to add LED glow.
I am very pleased with air flow but:::
The Cooler Master 200mm fans are quiet fans, not praised for their air moving prowess.
I find the R4s at 1800-2000 rpm quiet and good air movers for me, many people disagree, Yate Loons are great for their price.
A pair of 200mm CM fans cost about $30 on Amazon, R4s $6-14 depending on sales and model. The green LED 120mm R4 is $6, the no LED was $7 last look.
R4 fans are not good undervolters.

Running 6 fans complicates wiring them all, I like the 2x 200mms better. BUT I am not stressing temperatures inside.

Last edited:
Running 6 fans complicates wiring them all,

;) No it doesn't. ;) I have 12 fans in my case. Just saying. No disrespect. Run off molex and hide the wiring. :D

OP fan choice comes down to:

Noise and speed over silence
Speed with some silence for a price
Absolute quality without compromise (noctua)
all above and 'do you want LEDs'

if running radiators, the pressure of the fan, not just CFM (cubic feet/min the fan moves at max power) must be considered. Noise level of fans is measured in dB but they do not give you the note/pitch. You may hear 1 fan's F note at 40dB and your head tunes out another fans C note at 40dB.
:)

For example silent typhoon have a note that your head doesn't really pick up. Despite not quite being truly silent, your brain just blurrs it out into white noise very quickly and you never notice it. Corsair fans meanwhile, especially the older series, as well as antec fans older series on full power, had a very annoying note that I could not drown out. I also had a 200mm coolermaster and a 200mm corsair and despite similar dB levels the note of the coolermaster drowned out for me. That part of fan noise is complex and they SHOULD tell you what note it comes out at but never do. This is probably too much information. Sorry.

HTH.

I have five CM R4's in my HAF912 and love them. yes when you open the basement door you can hear a light humm but it doesnt get any louder than that even sitting right next to them. nothing overwhelming. If you have a Microcenter close they run R4's on sale just about every month in a different color. think sale price is about 6.00

k thanks, now that you mention it i think green led would be nice

this is basically just to add a bit of airflow, nothing mandatory

the top one is for dust protection side is just to see if i can get my gpu temp below 70 load

so i dont get why the side fan can fit a 120 and a 140, should i just get a 140?

here is what i want let me make sure before i buy that they will fit

top 200 mm
side 140mm
front 120mm

here is my shopping cart

Cooler Master R4 Series Silent 140mm LED Case Fan R4-L4S-10AB-GP (Blue) 8.99

Cooler Master R4-LUS-07AB-GP MegaFlow 200mm LED Case Fan (Blue) 14

Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP 5.99

now they can be intake or exhaust right? how do i set that up

Last edited:
fan will have an arrow on side showing airflow direction. just make sure you mount it with the arrow in the corroct direction that you want.

Not all fans have arrows.
With (scicle flow) R4 fans direction is obvious.
With these and most others blades blow air thru the support arms, which I suppose work as guard for the interior when used for intake. IE supports on the out side when used for exhaust.
I put a filter on my side fan, which is a nuisance, especially at low cost.
I believe you will be very satisfied with the result. I find the LED glow reassuring.

Back