• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8150 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dli7319

Registered
8150 not passing blend test

nh-d14 53 celcius socket 30 core
i have :asrock 970 extreme4,fx-8150:p,and antec 300 illusion
Problem 1: The socket temps got up to 70 celcius
Solution: purchase noctua nh-d14
Problem 2: Overclocking made it throttle to 7x200=1400 mhz
this is probably because of the 4+1 power phase rather than a 4+4+2 (8+2) or 4+4+4+2 (12+2) design

Last edited:
Are you talking about 90 C. or 90 F. ? We talk in Farenhite (spelling?) terms around here.

Look at the core temps. They are the most important ones. Your core temp is only 44 C. I assume that's at idle. Under full load they will be much higher and full load temps are the ones we worry about.

i was in celcius, well it says lowest was 10 celcius (which is not possible) and i was in prime 95 small ffts i was looking at cputin

Use the AsRock Overclocker/monitoring utility to check those temps against HWMonitor. I don't think those are accurate readings for the CPUTIN. There is just way too much discrepancy between the core temp and the CPU socket temp. There should be no more than 13 C. difference between those two and usually more like 5-10 C. difference.

What kind of cooling are your using?

By the way, the 10 C. minimum core temp reading is also bogus. On air cooling or on unrefrigerated water cooling it is impossible for the core temp to be lower than the ambient temp. I would add about 15 degrees to that minimum (idle) core temp.

i don't like amd's stock cooler
gonna reapply and reposition...again

Last edited:
Clean the two surfaces thoroughly (a paper coffee filter moistened with alcohol works great for this). Then place a small blob of paste (3 mm, a little bigger than a BB). Don't try to spread it but put he heatsink back on and let the clamping pressure spread it. Most beginner builders put far too much thermal paste on.

The cooler that comes with the 8120/50 is a pretty fat one. I put it on my buddies 955 and we pushed it out to 4.4ghz the other night. Now these 8 core chips are a much hotter bunch. Are you running stock speeds on this CPU right now?

stock speeds i tried it with a little AS5(like 2 dots)-still hot-then i just covered it (like 8 dots) still hot-65-66 celcius, how does amd rate it at 61? ill just disable a module till i get a d14

Just to be clear the motherboard is on default settings then?

It seems that the vcore shouldnt be jumping up to 1.37v on its own. Ive got all 8 cores at 4.6ghz @ 1.32v on my 8120 right now.
You should manually set the vcore to 1.2v and turn off turbo mode. You should be able to set the multiplier to x16 or x17 on 1.2v and that should help keep your temps down.

I would disable turbo in the bios and try from there. Even getting down to like 1.25v will make a big difference in your temps on these chips.

These things are multi tasking monsters once you get them going smoothly though. I am installing SC2 from DVD, patching dragon saga, patching spore, and surfing the forums right now on mine and its smooth as butter.

Win 7 Patch im pretty sure is already out. I havnt bothered to look for it yet though. This system is killer fast so I havnt had to worry about it.

on nh-d14 , all defaults, max temp is 52 celcius (according to asrock utility &p95 small ffts 8 threads) does that sound correct? also, it keeps failing the overdrive stability test

Last edited:
Theres any number of other issues that could be at play with the stability test failing. If its prime stable in small fft's for 30-40min and a couple hours on blend I say its stable enough for daily usage.

Are you overclocking your ram at all?

oh, then why does it throttle down above 4 ghz?
cool and quiet and spread spectrum and power management are disabled

The 9xx series chipset has some weird powermanagment stuffs that not all of the manufactures got right. First check for bios updates, second take a very very close look around your bios and make sure anything that sounds like it might be power or thermal managment is disabled. Also im sure you already have but make sure that windows is on high performance mode with 100% min processor state set.

oh, then why does it throttle down above 4 ghz?
cool and quiet and spread spectrum and power management are disabled

I think there is another thread in the forum here where that is happening no matter what the bios or windows settings are. AMD has a throttle back that is not over-rideable as I understand it when temps get to a certain level. Might be that happening.

how do set "100% min processor state set."; others get well above 4.5
Untitled.png
edit: 100% does nothing

Last edited:
Back