• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do You Want to Race in May?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do You Want to Race in the Chimp Challenge?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adak

This poll will help us determine whether we should enter the team folding race, in May (the Chimp Challenge).

This is a 10 day race (typically), and requires a one day preparation to change over your rigs to the new name and passkey, and restart them folding a work unit, so it's ready to turn in a finished work unit on the first day of the race.

Last edited:
I'll be in. Hopefully be running 4P by May

Wish they'd do it in January while it's still freezing outside, rather than May

Il fire up the 2500k to 4.8 and fold away for the team

I am in. I will be bringing 2500k,2600k, 1055t, i7 870 and 2 gtx 580's, 2 gts 250's, and a gtx 560ti.

all because I like to race.

December through February start date would be a huge imposition on the Aussie team, (and Aussie members on other teams), since it's their Summer. I don't know what their humidity is, but their temps are also up there in the high 30's °C. April won't work, because Easter jumps around a good deal as to it's date, and it's Spring Break for the student members. June, July and August are out - Summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

That leaves us with March, May or October - maybe early November, as the best racing periods, I believe. Do you have a preference from among those three? I'll be happy to pass your request on up to our captain, but you should be aware that there are several team captains, representing thousands of racing folders, so we'd need a strong approval from them, to move the start date.

Whew! That sounds hot and humid for only early in May! :(

i want to be in..but someone help me understand the concept...calling for backup :p

Several of the Folding@Home teams have a race, beginning May 5th, lasting for 10 days (or so).

Those from each team who want to race, have to change the name in their folding client. So I don't fold for "Adak" team 32, anymore, for example. I change it to our team name: T32monkeys, still team 32, and also change a passkey (like a password, but longer).

Every hour, someone keeping a graph program, has a download of data from Stanford (HQ for Folding@Home), and shows us what our team ranking is, in the race. For the race, ONLY those who have signed up with the team's racing name and passkey, will have their points included into the race. We have a website that we can see all the teams statistics, in the race.

In the past, it was "most points folded, wins", but last year, we used a handicap formula, so small teams could compete with big teams, fairly. (actually it was too favorable for the small teams, but not by much).

The winner of the race, gets to possess and display the VERY lucky Jade Monkey face plaque, and bragging rights all year, of course. The loser gets the dreaded monkey's paw! :eek:

All in fun, of course, but it does get more intense than you'd think possible. As one guy described it, "it's not life or death - it's more important than that" :rofl:

If we decide to race this year, we'll post up ALL the details before it starts, in plenty of time.

Count me in to help with the Challenge. I'll have to get schooled up on what will make for the best points production and clients or whatnot for my systems. I don't have any server type setups to run like that thread you guys have going though. Too much money for me to play in that sandbox.

Yeah, I'll get in on it. I only have about 10 cores here, but I may have more by the time the race actually rolls around.

December through February start date would be a huge imposition on the Aussie team, (and Aussie members on other teams), since it's their Summer. I don't know what their humidity is, but their temps are also up there in the high 30's °C. April won't work, because Easter jumps around a good deal as to it's date, and it's Spring Break for the student members. June, July and August are out - Summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

That leaves us with March, May or October - maybe early November, as the best racing periods, I believe. Do you have a preference from among those three? I'll be happy to pass your request on up to our captain, but you should be aware that there are several team captains, representing thousands of racing folders, so we'd need a strong approval from them, to move the start date.

Whew! That sounds hot and humid for only early in May! :(

Something close to the Equinox makes sense in all fairness. However in all honesty I will be shutting down all my space heaters in Feb so dont expect too much of a showing from me in May.

I'm in with my 2500k soon to be 970 running all 12 cores and, I'll have just under a month to fine tune the ivy bridge :)

I'm always down to race anything for anything. In.

Will bring my two quads and maybe a couple dual cores just for grins.

I doubt I could get away with safely dropping a client on my server at work without anyone noticing the slow down. (2x hyperthreaded quad cores w/ 48gb of ram to host a software demo enviornment lol)... But I'll bet that I can rock out on my little dual core desktop at work lol.

Steve, be sure to have permission from the owner, before loading F@H on any of their computers. Stanford takes an amazingly DIM view of anyone involving F@H, with what amounts to a possible theft of computer service(s), and a few folders have been fired for doing just that.

Not everyone shares our vision for a cure.

Back