• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-2500k integrated graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I am building a rig for my buddy and he is on an extreme budget. he currently uses an old dell laptop to game. We were going to play swtor together but can not because his laptop can not run it. I was able to get the price of the rig down to $690. I used a z68 mobo, 1TB HDD, i5-2500k, 8GB of 1600Hz G.Skill ram, a pretty cheap but well reviewed case, and an OCZ 700W modular PSU. This way i figured he could use the integrated graphics and when the time comes where he needs more power he can buy a GPU, and even a second one for SLI after that if need be. When the CPU needs to be upped we can OC it. When we need more ram we can get another 8gb still. PSU should be able to handle all of it (if the GPUs aren't huge ones, I was thinking GTX 560ti's). So a couple questions:

Will the integrated graphics actually have enough juice to run most games at low-medium settings (its not like he plays crysis or anything, we are talking magicka, borderlands, and swtor level here)?

Does this rig seem like a good budget rig for the price, or could I improve somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's willing to run low resolution and low detail it should work. A $50 GPU stomps the integrated graphics though, that is the route I would take until he can afford a better GPU.

EDIT:
If you have classifieds access here, you can get a lot of GPU horsepower for $40-$60.
If you don't have access yet you should look into it, you have enough posts so all you need is an ISP or .mil email address and you'll be all set.

50 bucks beats it? Hmmm...makes me wonder if I shouldn't get him the i3 version and a cheap cpu though.

Its something to think about but I am a bit iffy to give him brands I have never worked with. He knows very very little about computers and lives 300 miles from me.

Well, Asrock is solid (a lot of people on this forum use it with SB), Corsair I guess you know, Gskill is very good and WD is one of the best HDD manufacturer.

Its something to think about but I am a bit iffy to give him brands I have never worked with. He knows very very little about computers and lives 300 miles from me.
Yeah I am the same way. I think you have a good build for your friend. I would get him started with it and keep your eyes peeled for a hand me down GPU when he has a few bucks to spare. The Z68 chipset rocks.

Yeah I am the same way. I think you have a good build for your friend. I would get him started with it and keep your eyes peeled for a hand me down GPU when he has a few bucks to spare. The Z68 chipset rocks.

^agreed.
With 60/70 bucks, he can find a second hand 5850.

All right, so I am very satisfied with the current build. The HD 3000 graphics from the k series should allow him to at least run most games with 30 fps on low to medium settings until he snags a gpu then?

Back