• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spliced an ide cable!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
was it ata-66/100 (80pin), just regular ide? Are you using a razor blade? If so you can just use a saftey pin and poke in between the wires and slide it dowm, that saves time and it less likey to break a wire. I haven't tried every pin yet, so far I fold my ata-66 cables into "W" shape and tape it and I only cut my regulat ide, and my floppy cables into 4ths or 5ths. Works for me, my case is 22°C and my mobo 26°, and I only have 2 80mm case fans, and one 25cfm 60mm case fan. The one 80mm I have pushes only a very small cfm too. 10-15min stuffing those cables away really gets the air flowing, and drops a few temps.

umm i dunno, i think its the normal one, the one in my cdrom harddrive and all over.. i did it wit knife, sliced a whole and pulled apart, thats why fingers hurt. i should do like every 2nd as well.. save time

You could just fold the wires accordian style, that's what I do and you won't run any risk of cutting through the wire that way.

eobard said:
You could just fold the wires accordian style, that's what I do and you won't run any risk of cutting through the wire that way.

I gave up on cutting up the wires too. after screwing up a couple of cables I just fold them which seems to be good enough.

Lt. Max said:
how did u screw one up? i dont see any way to break it.. i split the wire a few times but fixing that is childs play.

The knife slipped. Those wires are about as thin as they come and it doesn't take a whole lot to break them. I get new cables with every mobo and I really don't feel like fixing them. The cables that I used were folded and taped. It worked out well and took less time and effort and no damage was done to the cable.

I cut my ata-66 cable every five wires and works great,but I also did a ata-33 one(each wire) and I think I am starting to get corrupted data,is this happening to anyone else?
thanks

VotTak said:
Do you really believe that it is worth it with current prices which are so low?

It's all about using what you already have. I rather use my current cables and round them then buy new ones.

satan said:

It's all about using what you already have. I rather use my current cables and round them then buy new ones.

and rounded cables aren't so easy to find for everyone. I don't think that there is even one store in my area that sells them at all, and if they do the price won't be cheap. That leaves 3 options. You can get a flat IDE cable that you probably have laying around anyway or can get from some local store really cheap and round them yourself, shopping on the internet and waiting several days for a good set of rounded cables to come in, or just sit around and wait for the next computer show to make it's rounds. I've just had bad luck separating the wires which is why I just fold them now. It works and I've been pleased with the results.

Ploaf said:

and rounded cables aren't so easy to find for everyone. I don't think that there is even one store in my area that sells them at all, and if they do the price won't be cheap. That leaves 3 options. You can get a flat IDE cable that you probably have laying around anyway or can get from some local store really cheap and round them yourself, shopping on the internet and waiting several days for a good set of rounded cables to come in, or just sit around and wait for the next computer show to make it's rounds. I've just had bad luck separating the wires which is why I just fold them now. It works and I've been pleased with the results.

That's what I hate about me getting computer parts. I have to get the online because there is one computer store by me and it is very expensive. Shipping online kills when you need small parts.

When I make my rounded cable I put all the wires into the electrical conduit, you know the stuff that you use inside your case to unclutter your case. Cost about $1 to make a round cable instead of $9 on the net, and It takes about 5 mins. Ill post pics if anyone wants to see.

Back