• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 965BE - Stock temps/cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mitukczuk

Phenom II X4 965BE - Stock temps/cooling/overclocking

Hey guys, just a quick question.

As you can see, I am currently running on Athlon X4 640 with quite a good OC on it. I am pretty happy with it but I just found out about a sale on Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (Deneb) in my local store. For 140 USD! Almost 40% down.

So the question is...should I go for it ? Is there a huge difference ? I know 2MB cache and 6MB cache is a difference :D

Thanks !

P.S. If Ihave an OCd CPU and I switch it for a new one...do I need to reset it to default (Voltages etc) and then put in the new one ?

Last edited:
You need to find out if your motherboard supports the watt rating of the 965BE. Some of those cpus draw more power than the board is rated for.

Thanks for your posts guys.

I think I'm gonna go for it...One does not simply say no to sales :D
My next upgrade will be mobo for sure so although this one supports the wattage of Phenom II, it's still a mATX... and I would like to get my hands on SLI one day.

I don't think I will be OCing that CPU much...maybe just bump it 200-300Mhz higher...Is there a real danger of some MOSFET problems ?

How does the CPU switching works?...Do I need to reset BIOS to Optimized Default before or after I instal the new CPU ?

You should be able to simply slap the new CPU in there.

If you aren't raising the vcore don't worry about the MOSFET heatsinks, they should be fine.

You can get it from Newegg $15 cheaper, and get free shipping. Although, if your not a deal hunter then just go ahead an pick it up from your local store.

I'm not sure what the vcore runs at out of the box. But I was only getting 1.25v out of the box. I'm now sitting at 1.52 vcore with an 4.11 oc, and my MOSFET temps are fine. I've even had my vcore to almost 1.63. That is with a custom cpu loop though.

If your saying that you might bump it up 200-300mhz. You just might catch the itch to go higher. So I thought I'd throw in a reference piece.

Your MOSFETs have a nice fat heatsink though, the lack of such is why I recommend keeping an eye on the temps.

You can get it from Newegg $15 cheaper, and get free shipping. Although, if your not a deal hunter then just go ahead an pick it up from your local store.

I'm not sure what the vcore runs at out of the box. But I was only getting 1.25v out of the box. I'm now sitting at 1.52 vcore with an 4.11 oc, and my MOSFET temps are fine. I've even had my vcore to almost 1.63. That is with a custom cpu loop though.

If your saying that you might bump it up 200-300mhz. You just might catch the itch to go higher. So I thought I'd throw in a reference piece.

Sounds good, the 'itch catching' is standard in OCing though :D

I am not exactly a deal hunter moreover I am not even American to buy from newegg :D (Czech republic ftw)

I think my mobo is just not suited for any extreme overclocking and thats why I was warned about those MOSFETS....I think 3,7/8 will be just fine. I'll see tommorow. I'll keep you posted.

Your MOSFETs have a nice fat heatsink though, the lack of such is why I recommend keeping an eye on the temps.

I'm sorry, I glanced at his make and model of his motherboard before I posted that, but I was thinking of a different motherboard for some reason.

Ok, so I bought the CPU. Mounted it and now I am Primeing to see the temps.

However, I am getting a bit strange numbers after 10 mins of blend testing.

http://imageshack.us/f/826/phenom.png/

If I am not mistaken, this is a bit too high. Any suggestions or ideas??

I stopped Prime after 22 minutes. Temps were at 63C :/

BIOS CPU Temp is 38 degs.
I am using MX-2 thermal compound and I am sure I mounted the heatsink right. I am puzzled to say the least...

Last edited:
Yes, way to high. You really don't want it over the mid 50's at 100% load. I am not fimiliar with the cooler that you have but most folks opt for a Hyper 212 plus with 120 mm push pull fans. You will find that your OC limit is usually the temperature but that chip should do 3.8 easily and still be under 54C. I am afraid that a 92mm single fan will do just a little better than the stock heatsink, so you may be limited to stock performance unless you can get another fan on the other side or a better cooler.

Well I can't buy a new cooler at the moment, so what should I do ? It kind of bums me out to be honest. And I think my Arctic cooler should do better than stock cooler, that's for sure. And I didn't even overclocked this one....daaamn

They used this cooler to overclock i7 920 for instance, so I don't think the cooler is the issue..

It was able to cool my Athlon X4 640 OC'd to 3,4 without any problems...

Is it safe to use this processor for gaming on these temps ? MW3/Crysis....

Last edited:
1. That cpu is at 3.4Ghz like your previous cpu but with more transistors for the bigger L3 cache. So temps could easily be greater without an overclock of your new processor.

2. I do not see how it can be said that the cpu cooler is okay. This review is of the "PRO" version of the "13" which should be better than a plain Freezer 13. Even the PRO version does not look so good. This site had also tested the the plain Freezer 13. So its' review is likely there as well.

Conclusion
Looks like the number “13” is indeed an unlucky number for ARCTIC. After all how else could we explain such low cooling efficiency of their new ARCTIC Freezer 13 PRO cooler?

3. Yes, I would think you could game some without having to immediately get a 'good' cpu cooler to even consider any overclocking.

4. The problems that I had with the ARCTIC coolers was that they do not put nearly enough pressure to the mounting. I had to fool with increasing the pressure and getting the cooler exactly straight onto the cpu mounting surface. It was a pain. But attention to getting a very good contact between the Freezer and the cpu can drop temps a few degrees for sure.

I tried to re-apply the heatsink and thermal paste but it does not seem to improve a lot...I am idling on 38C. (At least I now know that I CAN mount a heatsink properly)

So you see the problem in the cooler, huh ? It must wait for now, but I'll follow your advice for sure. At least it is safe to use it...

How about dropping some voltage, would it help ?

Also, if Arctic performs so badly, what about the stock cooler...in this scenario it would be completely unusable, or does it perform better ? People are clocking the cpu to 3.8Ghz on stock :/

Thanks for your input btw!

EDIT : I googled around a bit and found out people are running this CPU stable on less then 1.3 voltage, I didn't go under 1.3 and set it on 1.3 sharp. To my big surprise, it did drop the temps by 6degs...after 20 minutes of Primeing, I didn't exceed 57C treshold, which is a considerable improvement from 63 after the same time of testing. Either it was the voltage or the combination of that with reinstalling the heatsink, but it is now at least in the safe 56-62C zone according to the manufacturer. When I get some time to spare I'll test it for at least 1+ hours to see some better and more telling numbers...

I will buy a new heatsink for sure in a few weeks and OC the crap out of it, but at the moment, I am happy with at least some improvement...

Last edited:
I tried to re-apply the heatsink and thermal paste but it does not seem to improve a lot...I am idling on 38C. (At least I now know that I CAN mount a heatsink properly)

So you see the problem in the cooler, huh ? It must wait for now, but I'll follow your advice for sure. At least it is safe to use it...

How about dropping some voltage, would it help ?

Also, if Arctic performs so badly, what about the stock cooler...in this scenario it would be completely unusable, or does it perform better ? People are clocking the cpu to 3.8Ghz on stock :/

Thanks for your input btw!

EDIT : I googled around a bit and found out people are running this CPU stable on less then 1.3 voltage, I didn't go under 1.3 and set it on 1.3 sharp. To my big surprise, it did drop the temps by 6degs...after 20 minutes of Primeing, I didn't exceed 57C treshold, which is a considerable improvement from 63 after the same time of testing. Either it was the voltage or the combination of that with reinstalling the heatsink, but it is now at least in the safe 56-62C zone according to the manufacturer. When I get some time to spare I'll test it for at least 1+ hours to see some better and more telling numbers...

I will buy a new heatsink for sure in a few weeks and OC the crap out of it, but at the moment, I am happy with at least some improvement...

Like I said in my earlier post, mine was running at 1.25v when I first installed it... and it was rock solid stable.

As far as your Freezer 13 goes, I'd get something a little better when you have the money. There isn't any rush, so don't run out and buy one on credit. I had a Freezer 7 Pro on my 965 at one point in time, it performed exactly the same as the stock cooler. I'm sure you Freezer 13 is performing about the same. While under full load at 1.25v my Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 gave me 68'C. :rofl:

If it's stable, you can run that chip gaming for a good while until you get a new cooler.

Like I said in my earlier post, mine was running at 1.25v when I first installed it... and it was rock solid stable.

As far as your Freezer 13 goes, I'd get something a little better when you have the money. There isn't any rush, so don't run out and buy one on credit. I had a Freezer 7 Pro on my 965 at one point in time, it performed exactly the same as the stock cooler. I'm sure you Freezer 13 is performing about the same. While under full load at 1.25v my Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 gave me 68'C. :rofl:

If it's stable, you can run that chip gaming for a good while until you get a new cooler.

After almost 2 hours of prime I again am not exceeding 57 degrees so my voltage and reapplying the cooler is working apparently.

It's not that I dont have money for a new parts, I just don't want to spend them on pc all the time...but...ones passion = ones money :D

I am going to buy a better case - Cooler Master Elite 330U and Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO to cool that SOAB! My currect case (Logic...Made in Poland = Terrible) is...how should I put it....is worthless piece of ....!

Hello guys. First post, didn't want to open an EXACTLY same new thread.

I installed the Phenom II x4 965 BE @3.4Ghz (125W TDP) with its stock cooler and the pre-applied thermal paste, on a GA-MA770-DS3 rev1.0 motherboard (updated BIOS F8F to support AM3). The cooler seems to be mounted ok.

Entering the BIOS while booting shows 38°C-39°C. The temps get to ~43°C idle in windows.

I noticed in your discussion talking about the Vcore @ 1.325v . Mine seems to be set at 1.504v.

Do I need to lower the Vcore on my machine? Could someone explain how do I do this?
Sorry if my questions seem to simple to answer, but I'm new to this..Never tried overclocking, so I am posting some images from my bios and HWmonitor.
t8aech.jpg
11ig9eb.jpg
23maedc.jpg 11mavcy.jpg

When entered a game my temps went to ~57°C.

I plan to buy a better cooler soon, also some thermal paste. My cable management isn't that good, but worked with my previous phenom. (29°C idle, max 39-40°C).

Thanks in advance. Didn't want to hijack this thread. If that's a problem, tell me so, and I"ll open a new one.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, lower your vcore. Its too high. The setting is "CPU Voltage Control". It's on "normal" now which is the same as "Auto" I guess. Go to that setting and hit "Enter" or maybe "-" to change it. I reckon about 1.35 volts ought to be enough if the CPU is not overclocked and it should bring your temps down.

Definitely lower the vcore. People are running even 1.2 so no worries. As stated above, I am currently running at 1.3 sharp and I am rock solid stable.

Can't wait for my new case and cooler to arrive so I can OC this bad boy !

Yes, lower your vcore. Its too high. The setting is "CPU Voltage Control". It's on "normal" now which is the same as "Auto" I guess. Go to that setting and hit "Enter" or maybe "-" to change it. I reckon about 1.35 volts ought to be enough if the CPU is not overclocked and it should bring your temps down.

Thanks for your help.
I went in "CPU Voltage Control", hit Enter, and the options I get are: "+0.25v", "+0.50v", "+0.75v" and "+0.1v".
If I am getting this right, there is no "undervolt" option? :/

I know this motherboard doesn't offer much, but I hope I'm not stuck with these temps. Is there any other way to change the vcore? In a few hrs I will apply new thermal paste and remount the cooler, and see how it goes.

edit: also, if possible to lower the vcore, do I do it in one step (1.5v->1.3xv) or step by step? Thank you Mitukczuk for answering too.

Back