• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PSU Limiting CPU Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compdewd

Registered
Hello all! I have been trying to overclock my AMD FX-8120 with an ASRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard and in the BIOS, whenever I up the voltage and start up my computer, CPU-Z always reports the core voltage at a maximum of 1.21V. At higher frequencies, running Prime95, the seventh or eight core (usually eighth) is the one to fail and I attributed this to a lack of proper voltage.? Is it possible that the power supply is preventing me from doing this? This is what I assume it is but I would like to make sure it isn't maybe something I'm missing. It is an Inland Gold Series 400W PSU if that can help anyone. I've looked through the documentation that came with it (which amounts to very little) and I can't find anything to help me.

Your help is appreciated! Thank You! :)

If the PSU cannot cough up enough power you will have issues, but they won't manifest as the vcore not going above a certain level. Insufficient PSU would give you random crashes and possibly bad smalls/bright lights/loud noises from the PSU or things plugged into it.

It's definitely not a good PSU though.

So irregardless of the Vcore setting in the BIOS, CPU-Z never shows a Vcore >1.21V even under 100% load? Are you using a fixed or offset voltage, and what are LLC and Internal PLL Overvoltage set to? Also what are EIST, Turbo Mode, CPU C1E, CPU C3 Report, and CPU C6 Report set to?

Last edited:
So irregardless of the Vcore setting in the BIOS, CPU-Z never shows a Vcore >1.21V even under 100% load?
Yes, however the BIOS does not say anything about "core" voltage, it simply says "CPU Voltage". I'll post two pics of my OC Screen configuration:

2012-06-21153053.jpg
2012-06-21153158.jpg

The North Bridge voltage I changed because the default for it was around 1.21V so I thought maybe that was what CPU-Z was reporting but changing it makes no difference. The CPU VDDA voltage gives voltages in the 2V range so that isn't the answer. As for the other settings not in the pictures, C1E is off, C6 is off, and then idk what anything else that you mentioned is :confused:

Yeah that's what I thought, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something very obvious like the wrong name for what I'm changing. I was also wondering if the voltage applies in any sort of an order where the first-most core gets the current first and the eighth gets it last, to try to explain why it is always the eighth core that errors out with Prime95 when I OC more than 3.7GHz

Voltage problem solved: Load-Line Calibration needed to be disabled. Sorry I'm so clueless!

Although the problem of the voltage being stuck is fixed, my old problem of the voltage, multiplier, and clock dipping down every few minutes is still present. Searching this problem has helped me to understand what it could be but I am still unsure as to why.

Last edited:
Back