• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB vs MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning 3GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

Which of these is the better card? I will be running a single monitor setup at 2560x1440 120-60Hz depending in if either card can reach 100-120+ FPS. So which of these cards is superior? I have read many things saying Nvidia is better but many people swear by AMD. So what do you think?

One last question. I know OCing is more a matter of luck but do either of these cards OC better?

When the 7970 was released and initially benched against Nvidia cards it was with under performing drivers, as i result the highest end Nvidia cards came out a little on top, a lot of those benches are obviously still there and used as reference.

But they no longer apply

Since then AMD have released a series of drivers that have pushed the performance of all AMD GPU's up significantly, (and i really do mean significantly) to the point now where there is nothing to chose between the 7970 and GTX 680.

As for overclocking, its generally thought that AMD cards are the better overclockers...

For me personally i think which ever is the cheaper is the better.

Thanks for that. The 670 FTW is significantly cheaper at around $407 while the 7970 is about $519. Idk if a card having a theoretically better chance to OC a little better is worth more than $110.

Thanks for that. The 670 FTW is significantly cheaper at around $407 while the 7970 is about $519. Idk if a card having a theoretically better chance to OC a little better is worth more than $110.

No not really, the GTX 670 is a good card and only about 5 / 10% behind the GTX 680 / 7970

If its $110 less, that's a lot of money, and a good price. a potential better overclocker is not worth any where near that, and the GTX 670 isn't bad. Re- overclocking :)

Think I'll stay with the 670 then. Thanks for the help.

One more question do you think a 670 FTW can go into the hundreds of FPS? Ask because I am still debating on the 120 and 60Hz monitors.

My 670SC 4GB does and the FTW model is a better card based from the 680 pcb. I get between 70 to 120+fps in BF3 on ultra.

If you turn Vertical Sync off and keep lower Graphics settings (AA off) yes, any high end card will pull 120 FPS, but if your looking to max the game setting and push 120 FPS you going to have to spend a lot more that 400 or 500 $.

Personally i don't see the point in 120Hz, i would rather max all my game setting for eye candy for far less than $800 and be content with 60Hz.... lets be honest. 60Hz vs 120Hz the human eye can't distinguish the difference.

If you turn Vertical Sync off and keep lower Graphics settings (AA off) yes, any high end card will pull 120 FPS, but if your looking to max the game setting and push 120 FPS you going to have to spend a lot more that 400 or 500 $.

Personally i don't see the point in 120Hz, i would rather max all my game setting for eye candy for far less than $800 and be content with 60Hz.... lets be honest. 60Hz vs 120Hz the human eye can't distinguish the difference.

I would say that only some people can tell the difference, I could tell a difference going from 60hz to 120hz. BF3 is much smoother at 120hz. Not looking to start a debate though.

I don't want games that move smoother but look worse. I'd rather have stable fps with a great looking game, but that's just me.

120hz vs. 60hz doesn't really impact your fps as far as I know. I didn't sacrifice any eye candy.

Its not just about fps its about money. The 120Hz monitors come out sometime around October and will cost $400+. The 60Hz are already available and cost around $300-350.

I understand that and I am not telling you to buy a 120hz monitor, you were asking about the difference. I am just saying I saw a difference. There are plenty of really nice 60hz monitors I am sure you would be more than happy with. You can get a nice 60hz monitor for less than $300 too, unless you already picked out a specific model.

Oh I thought you were trying to sell me. Haha never mind. =p so how about the 670 vs s cheaper 7970 card that may have a good core clock and possibly high OC?

They are both great cards, I prefer Nvidia stuff myself. I haven't owned a Radeon card for a LONG time, so can't really help much there. I can say that I have been real happy with my EVGA 670SC 4GB, I went to that card from an EVGA 560SC 2GB to max the eye candy of BF3. The 560 was running everything on high settings very well, I just wanted ultra.

Oh I thought you were trying to sell me. Haha never mind. =p so how about the 670 vs s cheaper 7970 card that may have a good core clock and possibly high OC?

7950 review here, the GTX 670 / 680 are in gray, as you can see they compete pretty well and the 7970 is about 20% faster.

http://www.overclockers.com/7950-iceq-turbo-gpu-review/

If you can find a 7970 for that $400 its a good deal.

But seriously i agree with ^^^^ they are both great cards, these are just numbers and are all about the same give and take....

Last edited:
No that's a 7970 I put in there..... oh I see you were talking about the link Frakk posted.

Back