• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB vs MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning 3GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That link goes to a HIS 7950 IceQ Turbo.

Edit: I clicked a link on my phone. Sorry. Lol

So the 7970 averages 61.65 fps with the games I play and the 670 is about 58.6 fps. So if the 670 is. Little more expensive idk how much sense it makes to get one over the 7970 which is slightly better. The Asus doesn't have very good reviews and the MSI is good but expensive. So it seems to favor the 670.

Guess the 670 it is then. The cheapest 7970 I can find is like $419 both are just reference coolers but the 670 has the biggest core clock. Idk how much that affects things.

You can't compare nVidia and AMD core clocks, as the architectures are different.

Ah OK so what is a good clock core for AMD's? Idk much about AMD.

There is not such a thing as "good" or "bad" core clock.

The higher the better of course, but a factory OCed card will not likely clock higher than a ref design, unless the GPU is binned (as said earlier), like on the EVGA classified, and some other models.

So how do you know which models are binned and which arent?

So maybe the 7970 Lightning is probably binned? It seems pretty high end looking at its cooler and price. I could be wrong though.

Lightening cards are usually binned.

If you get a GTX670, makes sure you get the ASUS DC2, EVGA FTW, or Gigabyte OC versions. They're actually GTX680 boards with a GTX670 chip on them. Overclocks nicely.

I didn't really look at the Gigabyte 670 OC. Though now that I have i think I found my new card. =]

Cooling power:
1. ASUS
2. Gigabyte
3. EVGA

Customer Support:
1. EVGA
2. ASUS
3. Gigabyte

Price:
1. Gigabyte
2. EVGA
3. ASUS

Last edited:
Hmm, After seeing that it is still between EVGA 670 FTW and Gigabyte 670 OC, though i am leaning towards the OC.

Sorry, screwed up the cooling power, Gigabyte is better than the EVGA.

Frankly there's a $8 difference and I'd go EVGA just in case it dies, less of a hassle.

Hmm, that is true. CS is a big part of buying anything. It can out weigh price in a lot of aspects and in the case of $8 I think it probably out weighs it here.

@ cwinot, that anand link you posted no longer applies. you look at later benches with later drivers the 7### cards are way faster than that.

compare our own most recent bench to it and you will see what i mean, the performance is up.

MX5J6, if your going for the 7970 get #1 MSI #2 Asus. I have a Gigabyte Windforce 3x 7870, the GPU its self is awesome, i'm averaging 60 FPS on Ultra preset, much more on smaller maps..... but the PCB its self i'm not so impressed with, it looks and feels cheap to me and overclocking is not as good as aforementioned cards, when i look at stuff like this http://www.overclockers.com/msi-r7870-hawk-review it pains me that i can't get close to that, that MSI Hawk 7870 overclocked is performing close to a GTX 680 on the stock cooler and on the same chip as mine, but on a much better PCB, An Asus DCU II will get somewhere near that to, if not match it.

Yes, i'm kicking my self as that GPU costs around the same as mine.

I know these are not 7970, its difficult to find good reviews of them on the latest 12.6 drivers as those drivers have not been out long, all you got to know is 7950 = 35% faster than 7870, 7970 = 20% faster than 7970.
In the AMD GPU room someone i was helping a member with CPU questions, he ran a BF3 Ultra preset bench on a 7950, 79 FPS overclocked on air maps, 19 more than i'm getting. (on the same CPU)

Just be careful about some of these reviews, there old and very out of date.

Last edited:
Maybe in one title or two.. certainly not across the board. If that was the case, it would be pounding on the 680... Its not. Anyway, the 7970 is now with these drivers, are as fast as a 680. So that leads us to say it will beat the 670.

RE: Binning on the high end cards....ehhh... not sure how much of that is really done to be honest. The clocks out of the box can be achieved by 99% of cards in the first place so not sure how much is really done there. People can speculate, like I am as well, but we dont know the level, if any, binning they do over their normal process.

Back