• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB vs MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning 3GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DL DVI-d/i will support that res. This card does NOT need an adapter. Look at the picture of the card's DVI links, and look at the wiki.

Or look at what knufire posted. I think MSI's description is not correct. Clearly it has a DL DVId and DL DVIi.

Last edited:
It looks like dl to me so I think you're right and that their description might be wrong. It just threw me off because its blue.

Interesting.

Mine has one of these on it. that's DL DVI, why would the MSI 7970 have anything less...

Attachments

• 277px-DVI_Connector_Types_svg.png
    277px-DVI_Connector_Types_svg.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 53
It doesnt... the MSI description is not correct. Again, look at the picture you linked of the card...

It's possible that there's just nothing connected to the dual-link pins on the card, but the holes are there. In case somebody used a dual-link cable on a single-link monitor, it would still work?

I'd call MSI to be sure.

yeah, got ya :)

In other words, MX5J6, its fine. No problem.

Edit ^^^^^ good point, do that.

Yeah those are definitely dual link. So I guess it should be fine then. If I chose to go with that card of course.

I'd still call to make sure. Just because there's holes for a dual-link cable doesn't mean there's anything actually connected to those pins, it might electrically be a single link and just have the slots so a dual link cable would fit.

90% chance they're dual link, but MSI might not be aware of the error...calling them might result in them changing the website description to avoid future confusion :).

Just called and I was told they are indeed...wait for it...single link dvi. D=

ORLY? I wonder how people are rocking such 2560x1440+ monitors on single link then... I guess with the mDisplayports?

Customer support probably just looked at the website...you'd want to ask an engineer to be sure. Probably more hassle than it's worth.

If you can find reports of people running Q270s on that specific card, it's probably dual link. Searching the Q270 club thread at overclock.net should net you results, you'll know it's the right one when the page count is somewhere near 750. xD

Just relaying what I was told. I think you can probably get a mini display to dl dvi?

I have sent an email to our MSI contact to get an answer for you...I will report back.

In the 680, it shows in the specs DL DVI-x, and I am running it on the DVI plug. I would be floored if that card didnt have support for monitors over 1920x1080 via DVI........

@ Knu - Im guessing it needs power? Not sure.

Just read on the q270 thread it actually is sl not dl so I guess that's that unless ED's email says otherwise.

What? 99% sure that the Q270 is dual link only.

Maybe get a different 7970 that has a advertised dual link port?

The 680's are a little more than what I really want to spend right now. Trying to save a little more money so I will probably go with another 7970. Just gotta find the right one.

Looking at the Sapphire 7970 OC, XFX Double D FX 7970 Black Edition and Gigabyte 7970 OC cards right now.

Back