• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooling fluid??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoninX91

Registered
Hello Builders and gamers and others, I am about to build my first Liquid Cooling build. First as in first personal liquid cooling system for me. And I don't know what kind of fluid to get. I usually use mayhems pastel or aurora for clients but i want to go UV preferably blue. Please let me know with some recommendations and links to reviews. Thank you.

Id stay away from anything that isn't distilled water. People in the know don't usually use those tube clogging products.

You want color... uv tubes.

From the FAQ: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714000

Q1, WHAT COOLANT SHOULD I USE?
- WE recommend Distill water over all coolants. Other coolants are really more cosmetic than anything, and scientifically, if you add any additives to water, you WILL lower its specific heat capacity, lowering cooling properties. So in general, you best choice is Distill water, you can buy in Groceries stores. That's right, you can drink it.
quick additional info: : http://www.overclockers.com/beginners-guide-water-cooling/#fluid

should i add anything to the water for the corrosive, algae, and such?

As TheHutchTTU mentioned, a silver kill coil and/or a drop or two of PT Nuke PHN for algae. Corrosion shouldn't be an issue with all PC WC parts, only an issue if you're using an aluminum car/motorcycle rad or mixing metals in some other way.

Distilled or deionized water is non-conductive as well. Any "non-conructive" fluid will pick up ions from the metal as it flows through the loop and lose that property.

Last edited:
My friend, biocide wise, I like to use Silver.
as it is re-useable time and again! Drop it in your res, and end of story. :)

Q2, What Biocide should I consider? How about Color Dyes?
BIOCIDE:
- Silver Kill Coil (1 string), or CuSO4 (1 drop per L) will do. DON"T OD on CuSO4, some research shows that can accelerate tube aging, and CAN add deposits in waterblocks (especially when you have mixed metals.) Silver Kill Coil is in general easier to use, and also very reuseable. For that reason, I will suggest Silver before CuS04, just drop it in your res, and end of story.

if you would like to check out the basic questions. this FAQ is written for u! :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714000

ive used ek coolant with clear xspc tubing and tubing turned yellow in maybe 1 month, so now im using tygon with distilled, silver coil, 1 drop of biocide and red mayheim dye, so far so good, but i drain and refill every 2 months or less since i have nothing to do and just to keep my hardware fresh and clean.

distilled or deionised WITH kill coil or biocide, make sure you have kill coil or biocide in there!

avoid dyes if possible! If you are going to use any ( which i would suggest against) never use pastel ones. I would only ever use mayhems clear UV dye. Even then i wouldnt run it for more than a couple of months before a flush.

ive used ek coolant with clear xspc tubing and tubing turned yellow in maybe 1 month, so now im using tygon with distilled, silver coil, 1 drop of biocide and red mayheim dye, so far so good, but i drain and refill every 2 months or less since i have nothing to do and just to keep my hardware fresh and clean.

Another thing, water is cheap vs the overpriced mumbo-jumbo stuff.

Silver coil is fine. Make sure your pouring instruments are clean. I used a 1 cup measuring glass cup, and boiled water in it first in the microwave, nothing growing in my distilled water or transferred.

I remeber a pic here of a guy working next to a kitchen sink. Old pans, empty cans, OMG. I scrub my countertop before I start. I take over the counter for 2 days when I build or do a full annual rebuild.

yeah my plan is to kick the dogs out of my house. vacuum, sweep and dust. clean my surrounding areas. im really worried about the dog hair. my dogs shed like crazy. even with filters on all my intakes i still get some hair. it sucks

ok way too much cons on pre-mixes. I am going with silver and distilled maybe a biocide for just in case. So would any distilled water be good?

Back