• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Probably RAM issues on Gigabyte MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Got a problem with my Gigabyte X58A-OC. RAM is Mushkin Tripple Channel (DDR3 at 1.5 V, its detected properly by BIOS, XMS profile is working too).

However,
1. Its very picky on which RAM channel to chose, it seems. I used all the black slots and it didnt even boot up, but when i saw the C1 debug light i kinda had in mind it must be a RAM issue because other stuff seems properly made.

2. Then i took out every RAM except first slot (black), and it had the exactly same issue, stopped at C1.

3. Then i was inserting all RAM in a row, and it was fully booting up but it was reseting itself 3 times, and finally it is able to detect 12 GB but only 8 GB used.

4. Then i switched the 3. DIMM to slot 4, leaving slot 3 empty. After that is done it was able to detect and use the full amount of 12 GB, according to OS.

However, when i use CPU-Z its telling me that there is only dual mode instead of triple mode. Now is that even possible with 3 DIMMs inside? Either its running single or tripple but how to run dual with 3 DIMM? Its weird. Could GPU-Z be at fault? Is there a good way to measure the real performance of those RAM?

I guess those from Overclockers did already test that board so they should know the deal?!

Try 2 sticks in slots 2 and 4. Ivy bridge is dual channel, not triple and I don't know if all boards are the same but mine uses slots 2 and 4 unlike my old socket 1366 system which used odd slots instead of even.

Its X58 and triple channel RAM, the CPU is compatible with triple channel.

Actually, since the memory controller is moved into the CPU, the board is not even handling the critical memory management but it is still a critical link between the memory and CPU and if it is not perfoming properly, it is always a issue.

We actually have great reviews about that board, so knowledge should be given. Could probably ask Mushkin if we miss the geeks.

Last edited:
Just some questions at the beginning ;)
Which Mushkin kit is it ?
What is happening in 2 / 4 / 6 slot ? ( counting form cpu side )
At which speed you want to run this RAM ?
Did you try higher QPI/VTT ?
Did you try to clean memory pins with alcohol or something like that ?
Did you try other BIOS or maybe some beta version ?

These issues are sometimes happening on ASUS boards too when board have problems with recognizing RAM.

It's not popular board since it had premiere when all were already thinking to buy new platform so I doubt that there will be lot of replies from owners.

Those are the RAM.
Worked 100% accurate on my old Shuttle board, and that board was one of the worst when it comes to compatibility. Its hard to beat it.

a) did not raise any volt at all. Feel no need for, since its not intented to be used as a high power machine, its simply a durable workstation, that was its purpose. However, the RAM are running in 1600 XMP (which is manufacturer approved and it worked fine on my old board).

b) No changes on BIOS at all, its a risky procedure i like to avoid unless critically needed.

c) Cleaning PINs with alcohol? Nope... i dont see the point. The memory seems to be detected properly now. All it lacks is the proper triple channel. The other stuff seems to be a board issue because those memorys never had any issue on my old machine.

d)2/4/6 slot was empty. However, currently the RAMs are located inside slot 1/2/4 (so, 3/5/6 is empty).

I know about its lack of popularity, because on its release it was very expensive and it was at the end of X58 lifetime. However, since i needed a new board for my old CPU (from a broken PC) i needed a new X58 board and the Gigabyte board was only 250 $ which is kinda a bargain for a board of that quality. So my choise was pretty obvious. When everything working proper it will surely last very long, which is my intention. I hate exploding hardware, to much headache.

That board doesnt seem to be exploding, but its a very picky one when it comes to RAM, it seems.

Btw: Now i understand what was happening at the beginning:

First time: I was using slot 2, 4 + 6, board stopped at C1 because it was demanding a RAM at slot 1.
Second time: Used slot 2 only (closest to CPU), when that did happen, the board stopped at C1.
Third time: Used slot 1, 2 + 4. Now it worked but slot 4 got excluded, so it was forcing the MB to run in dual mode.

Fourth time: Now i use slot 1,2 +3 properly. However, channel amount seems inproperly. Maybe because BIOS is still having the old Dual Mode configuration? prehaps CMOS reset may help?

Last edited:
If playing with memory slots is not helping then add +0.1V VTT/QPI. XMP settings are not always working ( especially voltage settings ).
Also you can try to set vdimm to 1.55V ( if board is undervolting vdimm ).

From my experience on other X58 boards ( mainly GB and ASUS ) I can only say that 2/4/6 slots are usually working best so on this board they are marked as orange 1/3/5.

No word about memory compatibility fix in bios updates:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3870#bios
but I would try latest version anyway ...

Well, my RAM is working properly now. Actually i was a bit a failure myself because this board is a pretty special design it seems. Its my first big board i ever assembled, so i kinda did not know how it works regarding slots.

Now after reading the complete manual, i see that i have to put the RAM inside orange slots, else there will be no triple channel!

It was a very messy thing because the first RAM was stuck because of my cooler, which is covering it. So i had to remove the cooler, remove the old thermal paste, and use new one. And then assemble the whole stuff again, over 1 hour work in total because the case is very tricky... its hard to access, and i had to read the manual.

Anyway, its working now, it was a slot problem. I have to use slot 1, 3 +5.

Win Index is awesome 7.8/7.8/7.9/7.9/7.9. ;) And the only thing which is currently OC is the RAM, RAM is working properly now at a astounding speed of 1600/9,9,9,24 and at 1T. That board seems to be a juicy performer.

Last edited:
I see you got it fixed, I was going to say that for triple channel, you need to use all same color slots, now as to why it was not working using the black slots, I don't know, I don't have a tri-channel board. :) :chair:

Well, my RAM is working properly now. Actually i was a bit a failure myself because this board is a pretty special design it seems. Its my first big board i ever assembled, so i kinda did not know how it works regarding slots.

Now after reading the complete manual, i see that i have to put the RAM inside orange slots, else there will be no triple channel!

It was a very messy thing because the first RAM was stuck because of my cooler, which is covering it. So i had to remove the cooler, remove the old thermal paste, and use new one. And then assemble the whole stuff again, over 1 hour work in total because the case is very tricky... its hard to access, and i had to read the manual.

Anyway, its working now, it was a slot problem. I have to use slot 1, 3 +5.

Win Index is awesome 7.8/7.8/7.9/7.9/7.9. ;) And the only thing which is currently OC is the RAM, RAM is working properly now at a astounding speed of 1600/9,9,9,24 and at 1T. That board seems to be a juicy performer.

Well, i guess most boards would not screw it up that much in term another slot used. But that one indeed can get very upset when that stuff isnt done right. And then as soon as that stuff is 100% correct, it performs like out of this world.

Anyway, its a expert OC board, its not something belong to me but i didnt care. I just want the best for my bucks and 250 was worth it, i feel.

Back