• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd FX-4100 overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatkid8520

I recently purchased an Amd FX-4100 cpu and would wish to overclock it. My goal is to hit 4.3 but whenever I set my multiplier and run a stress test like prime 95 my clock speeds go from 4.3 down to 3.3 and don't stay constant. Is this an indication that I need to raise my voltage or do I need to adjust my bus speed? This is my first overclock and I don't want to ruin my new cpu

What are you're system specs? This is usually caused by APM which you can diss able in you're bios, unless you have agigabyte ud3 rev1

What you are getting is throttling of your CPU. There are a number of "Green", power saving settings that are used to help conserve power. Although good for most they are not always good when you are OCing. For the most part you can turn them off. Go into your Bios ..... and Disable Turo Core, Cool & Quiet, C1e and APM if you have it, not all motherboard lable them the same so you might have to check your booklet for your motherboard. Then boot into windows and go to Power Managment in your controle pannel and set this to Preformance. This should turn off all the Green stuff and let your System run at full power.

We need to kow what kind of equipment you have, should you need / ask for help with your OC . At the top you will find a link ... Quick Links .... about half way down there is a link ..... Edit Signiture .....

This is important as this signature will follow you in your threads and people will be able to see what parts you have in your system and can better answer your questions you have.

Yep, definitely sounds like APM. If your BIOS doesn't support disabling APM (like mine) there's also a utility called "AmdMsrTweaker", if you can't find a download for it let me know and I can try to help you.

I have a Gigabyte 870A USB3 motherboard, what keywords should I look for in the bios to disable these features? I already have cool n quiet turned off and the settings within windows are all set to performance.

I hope a bios flash sorts it out for him if it hasn't got it

If it does then he still has to follow the green feature disabling suggested earlier and the turbo-core also. I guess he could give amd overdrive a try but I did that yesterday before uninstalling it as it whacked my vcore upto near max (1.46+) to get the same speed im on now @ 1.37v lol.

Last edited:
The green stuff doesn't cause the freq to go down under load it just drops the speed and voltage when the CPU is idle, it is a good thing, but it does not help once you start to overclock the system, and that's why people disable it, and definately stay away from overclocking software as it is all junk and causes more problems than not :thup:

Keny, the excessive power-draw, heat-related down-throttling in this case I believe is being lumped together with the green, power-saving active at idle stuff you are referring too. Technically, you are correct, however.

I have a Gigabyte 870A USB3 I already have cool n quiet turned off and the settings within windows are all set to performance.

Keny, the excessive power-draw, heat-related down-throttling in this case I believe is being lumped together with the green, power-saving active at idle stuff you are referring too. Technically, you are correct, however.

Yeah I was wondering about the heat aspect but unless he is putting loads of vcore into it, it shouldn't be a problem, and at 4.3 it shouldn't need excessive vcore, and it looks like he has the main CnQ turned off already which is the cause of the down clocking usually, but its all trial and error with these things and testing is the only way to find out for sure, I know I had the exact same problem and I needd a bios update which in turn put the option in my bios for APM which I could then disable, but RGone said these 880 boards don't have it so I just hope a new bios is what is needed.

If an updated BIOS doesn't help, once again, I have the files and can get them to you. I can't find an active download link for it anymore.

If an updated BIOS doesn't help, once again, I have the files and can get them to you. I can't find an active download link for it anymore.

I have the latest bios installed but I've yet to check my bios for something wrong. And quick question what voltage should I run it at? according to cpu-z it's at 1.4. I could screencap cpu-z if that could help

What voltage you need to run it at all depends on your chip. You can try lowering it in increments if you want, and testing for stability each time you lower it.

What voltage you need to run it at all depends on your chip. You can try lowering it in increments if you want, and testing for stability each time you lower it.

Well, judging from your signature it says that you got 4.2 ghz on 1.25 volts, would a simple 4.3 require any more? On max load running prime 95 my temperatures never go above 40 C is that safe?

Your temps are safe, and once again, every chip is different. In another thread here in the AMD section somebody has 1.54V for 4.3GHz. Some chips are just better than others.

Your temps are safe, and once again, every chip is different. In another thread here in the AMD section somebody has 1.54V for 4.3GHz. Some chips are just better than others.

Okay, I'm running it at 1.3 volts now and it's completely stable so I'll stick with that. I have one last question though, where can I download that AmdMsrTweaker utility? I can't find it anywhere. Thank you for all your help, have a great day/night, depending on your area.

Back