• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i know if my cpu is ESD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

as the title says, how do i know this? i have started to suspect the cpu because it show weird temps. i think it is ESD because of some "lag" in both games and om videos, and even in desktop(the cursor stops sometimes for like a second). so how should i know, and what can i do about it?

What monitoring programs do you use to check and test your set up?AJ.

core temp, ai suite, gpu tweak & different cpuid's. but main reason is the hiccups that comes at random times, sometimes 20 sec space, and den fine for 5 min, and 10 sec after that :s

Did you do a Virus scan, also i would run PRIME95.

tried virs scan with different antiviruses - nothing. have tested prime95, intel burn test, furmark, memtest etc. tried it all, but nothing can find the problem. this is really confusing me, i have paid a bunch of money for my comp and it is acting up and i cant find out why...

Well the only way after thinking about this is to try one different componet at a time until you find the faulty one. We all fully understand it it not the answer you wish to hear, but practical wise it maybe the only way to find out. Sorry unless anyone else can come up to help you if they have idea what it might be. AJ.

P.S.What are your core temps and GPU Temps?

Well the only way after thinking about this is to try one different componet at a time until you find the faulty one. We all fully understand it it not the answer you wish to hear, but practical wise it maybe the only way to find out. Sorry unless anyone else can come up to help you if they have idea what it might be. AJ.

P.S.What are your core temps and GPU Temps?

i see.. well, thank you for trying at least :)

my core temps is 24 idle (push pull w/H60) and 51 under full load with only one fan(have not tested with push pull since i put my new fans in tonight =) gpu temps are ca 29 idle and 60-62 under heavy load=)

my specs:

cpu: i7-3820

gpu: asus gtx 680 direct cu ii TOP

motherboard: asus p9x79 deluxe

ram: 16 gb corsair vengeance

psu: corsair tx650

case: cm storm trooper

cooling: corsair H60

primary HDD: intel ssd 330 120gb

btw, one time the cpu was overclocked to 4.675 ghz by a mistake :p

Can you try substituting your SSD with another drive? Also try booting with a linux boot CD and see if that works ok.

Can you try substituting your SSD with another drive? Also try booting with a linux boot CD and see if that works ok.

yes i can, i actually got a 2.5" in the hot swap with same OS
(from the same dvd). maybe it's just me being addicted to ssd, but i find the normal HDD painfully slow.. will try right after the full system scan im running now =)

well, i could not test it properly because i dont have any games or such on the other disc, but i felt like it was just the same :s i have installed the same drivers etc on the oter one, so it could be that. or it could be ESD :(

what is this ESD your referring too? when i see ESD, the first thing i think of is Electric Static Discharge. which would be you getting shocked in dry climates from the constant rubbing of say carpet then touching metal.

what is this ESD your referring too? when i see ESD, the first thing i think of is Electric Static Discharge. which would be you getting shocked in dry climates from the constant rubbing of say carpet then touching metal.

yes, you can harm computer parts with esd you know.. thats what i mean. something may be damaged from esd :(

I've never seen that happen I have shock many cpu's and motherboards.
I'm not saying it cant happen, I just would like to see it done sometime.

I once had a old intel cpu and tried to fry it with EDS about 20 times, I gave up on that. I then hooked the cpu up to a 60,000 volt ignition coil and shocked it for 1 minute that did not work and hour did not work, it took 2 hours to kill it and it was to hot to hold.

Also i've never seen a post on the net when someone ESD a PC part and said they killed it. You know when you done it because you hear a lowed snap, this week I ESD my pc twice on accident.

Last edited:
I've never seen that happen I have shock many cpu's and motherboards.
I'm not saying it cant happen, I just would like to see it done sometime.

I once had a old intel cpu and tried to fry it with EDS about 20 times, I gave up on that. I then hooked the cpu up to a 60,000 volt ignition coil and shocked it for 1 minute that did not work and hour did not work, it took 2 hours to kill it and it was to hot to hold.

Also i've never seen a post on the net when someone ESD a PC part and said they killed it. You know when you done it because you hear a lowed snap, this week I ESD my pc twice on accident.

i dont know. what i think is that ESD may have caused instability, not complete kill. because it does work, but it feels like my pc have some sort of hiccup in games and such.. but you say it may not be it?

Getting back to you problem I would not think it's your cpu, I have not seen that before usually the cpu will not work or BSOD. Have you tried formatting the drive? if you have I would suspect the mother board, however before that disconnect all devices except your OS hard drive and then test you might have a bad usb port or SATA controller.

i dont know. what i think is that ESD may have caused instability, not complete kill. because it does work, but it feels like my pc have some sort of hiccup in games and such.. but you say it may not be it?
Did you see or hear a spark.

Instability results in crashes though, not hiccups. You'd be hard pressed to damage a chip in such a way that it paused from time to time.
Generally physical damage results in 1s that are supposed to be 0s and vice versa, it's fatal to whatever was expecting a 1 and got a 0.

ESD certainly can fry things, you don't even need a noticeable spark to do modern computer bits in if you get unlucky.

Getting back to you problem I would not think it's your cpu, I have not seen that before usually the cpu will not work or BSOD. Have you tried formatting the drive? if you have I would suspect the mother board, however before that disconnect all devices except your OS hard drive and then test you might have a bad usb port or SATA controller.

Did you see or hear a spark.

both yes and no. this happen'd after i formatted last time. i do also have a different harddrive with same OS i tested, it seems to be the same but im not 100% sure because i dont have any games to test with on it .. i did also think it's the motherboard, but why can this happen out of the blue? should it be like a bend or crack to make this happen? or esd? it have not always been this way

Instability results in crashes though, not hiccups. You'd be hard pressed to damage a chip in such a way that it paused from time to time.
Generally physical damage results in 1s that are supposed to be 0s and vice versa, it's fatal to whatever was expecting a 1 and got a 0.

ESD certainly can fry things, you don't even need a noticeable spark to do modern computer bits in if you get unlucky.

so you don't think ESD in any way? the only thing left is bad drivers.. the gpu seems fine

I'd be pretty surprised if it was an ESD issue.
What I would do first is run Prime95 for an hour or two, the Large FFT test.
If it survives that, run memtest86+ for a couple hours. An easy way to do this is to download Ubuntu or Mint (both are linux flavors) and burn a CD/DVD, they include memtest86+ on them.

If it survives that, boot off the Linux DVD you just made and see if the problem exists there. If it doesn't, it's likely the OS/driver combination with your hardware.

Back