• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any 3930k junkies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anonaru

Always pushing for the best, espeically on my primary rig-- My intel one, to be precise.

I'm dandy, cool, and stable @ 4.80Ghz, Vcore: 1.390.

A friend of mine is running 4.89 / 4.90, and I've heard people going to 5 on this CPU. Is that reserved only for custom loopers? Also, anybody know if there's a way to run these frequencies with a lower voltage? I'm a little wary at how high I had to set the voltage to get this stable :(

Every CPU is different. If that is the voltage you need, that is what you need.

Well, 1.390 is pretty damn high for these parts-- borderline, even (Definitly as far as I'm concerned).

I was hoping somebody with more experience knew voltage workarounds like PLL voltage on the new Vishera processors, or if there's any gimmicks / tricks to acheive same OC levels without sending ball lightning through their cores :(

I don't think 1.39 is high at all. I would be worried if it was 1.49, but that seems fine to me. I keep mine at 4.5 for 24/7 because I don't think I'll notice the 3-400mhz difference in real life. Keeps heat down too.

I don't think 1.39 is high at all. I would be worried if it was 1.49, but that seems fine to me. I keep mine at 4.5 for 24/7 because I don't think I'll notice the 3-400mhz difference in real life. Keeps heat down too.

Really? Huh. I'm not having any issues with heat (My vishera rig puts out way more heat, and not just because of the 480s :p).. If I can go 1.45 or even more safely, then 5.0 should be exceedingly easy to attain.. Somebody told me these processors started seeing electromigration damage issues at 1.4

Guess I need to do myself some more homework. What voltage do you run yours at?

I believe, don't quote me as I'm not near it right now, but I think it was 1.36 to stay folding stable at 4.5. Before I started folding I was stable for 24/7 use at 1.35 I think. I'll check when I get back from lunch. What are your temps? And what cooler?

I believe, don't quote me as I'm not near it right now, but I think it was 1.36 to stay folding stable at 4.5. Before I started folding I was stable for 24/7 use at 1.35 I think. I'll check when I get back from lunch. What are your temps? And what cooler?

Just an H80 with much better fans than supplied by the cooler itself.

I don't remember my temps offhand, but I know it was 70~ish.. I believe 68 abouts.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice chip there.:attn: I'm running around 63 folding. I have plenty more to go, but I just didn't see any difference in any applications. It is a monster of a processor though. I love this thing, and I'm not pushing it like I could. It is a beast.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice chip there.:attn: I'm running around 63 folding. I have plenty more to go, but I just didn't see any difference in any applications. It is a monster of a processor though. I love this thing, and I'm not pushing it like I could. It is a beast.

I do some high-end simulation / virturalization and rendering, the 400MHz bump is noticable for me at times--

Aye I agree I got a very good chip, with voltage bumps it really doesn't care what I set the frequency at :D I'll never sing anything but praises for this beautiful peice o sillicon :D

I'm waiting for mine to turn up:) can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it(ill wash them first)

What sort of PPD are you getting?

Anyone else have a hard time finally settling on the 3930k vs the 3960x?

Love mine, considering it's a handicapped Xeon - it kills everything I throw at it. And that's stock, for now.

Anyone else have a hard time finally settling on the 3930k vs the 3960x?

It was easy for me, $500 is quite a chunk of change, $1000 is stupid money. For half the price you can get virtually the same chip.

Only running mine @ 4Ghz because my mATX board doesn't have the best vrm cooling. I can manage temps of 4.8Ghz with my loop but I need a hefty fan on the vrm. Not ideal.

It was easy for me, $500 is quite a chunk of change, $1000 is stupid money. For half the price you can get virtually the same chip.

Only running mine @ 4Ghz because my mATX board doesn't have the best vrm cooling. I can manage temps of 4.8Ghz with my loop but I need a hefty fan on the vrm. Not ideal.

This was my thoughts exactly. 1,000 is no longer realistic for a processor, intel really needs to realize that.

Good to know I wasn't being a cheapskate haha.

Posted on another forum a while ago before I purchased it loads of people saying I should get the 3960x. Guess they were talking out of their you know where

Agreed.

After looking at difference between the 2 3mb less l2 and 100hz drop in clocks. I really couldn't see the justification for the price gap.

Love mine, considering it's a handicapped Xeon - it kills everything I throw at it. And that's stock, for now.
What is the difference between the Xeon version and the 3930K? What IS the Xeon version of the 3930K?

THis thread... funny. OP goes from a 'borderline chip with high volts' to a 'very good chip to sing praises over' hours later! :clap:

What is the difference between the Xeon version and the 3930K? What IS the Xeon version of the 3930K?

THis thread... funny. OP goes from a 'borderline chip with high volts' to a 'very good chip to sing praises over' hours later! :clap:

Well, the volts are still high for my taste, I just didn't have a true max voltage to use as reference. I never badmouthed the quality of the chip though, so the end of your post is a bit moot, isn't it?

I'm still seeking any settings that may affect / allow stability at lower volts with these chips.

Edit: To my understanding the only diff. between the new i7s and xeon chips are that the xeon chips are locked and do not include the horribad integrated GPU. Particularly with the IVB Xeons, I'm told they are a much better bang for the buck gaming CPU, and are compatible with consumer boards. (I have my eye on the $229~ IVB Xeon, we'll see)

RE your volages, It is what it is. I cant think of any voltages that you can raise that would help lower your load voltage with that CPU.. sorry. But voltages are inline and acceptable for that CPU. Your taste needs to change me thinks! :p

RE moot point. No. the about face is still funneh (seemed like an about face due to the context of the post your responded to). Anyhoo, I digress. :)

Back