• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any 3930k junkies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get some rubber washers and make a foam tunnel for the rad and fans. Should help cut out some noise:)

Washers, check. Tunnel? Incoming when I get home, sounds like a great idea :D

These are pretty damn impressive fans, though-- Never dealt with anything above 3,000 RPM before.. I feel like it would cleave my finger if I accidently stuck it in there (No cover on this fan)

I think these are 3999 (4k) RPM 120mm's.

With the tunnel is you can try and create one on the rear exit hole as well. Seems to reduce vibration by spreading the area. Another good advantage is I've got a flap on the end on the tunnel so it reduces even more noise:) as long as its on the exit and is allowed to open freely it shouldn't affect temps too much.

I used to have a couple of metal blade 2500rpm. Those things were why fan guards were invented haha. Still got a scar and a bit of missing finger from them(tiny bit):(

That cfm is impressive:) shame about the noise:( I found another guy who on top of useing rubber washers used smaller diameter screws and used some epoxy resin(not sure which) to screw into took even more vibration out.

Can you volt control these fans? Presume they are not pwm

I used to have a couple of metal blade 2500rpm. Those things were why fan guards were invented haha. Still got a scar and a bit of missing finger from them(tiny bit):(

That cfm is impressive:) shame about the noise:( I found another guy who on top of useing rubber washers used smaller diameter screws and used some epoxy resin(not sure which) to screw into took even more vibration out.

Can you volt control these fans? Presume they are not pwm

Not PWM, sadly. They have a smart controller of some kind, and 3 speed settings controlled by a small switch. I have to have them on rocket engine setting to net me the nice and cool temps I'm getting.

I have some rubber-isque epoxy around, I'll give that a try too :D

I'm afraid the noise is coming from the somewhat cheap construction of the fan blades themselves-- Sounds like most of the noise is fan cutting air :cry:

Those little switches can be modded to voltage controlled:) if you want ill try to find the guide I used on my old antec 3 speed ones?

As for chopping air noise I'd try the tunnel depends how far you can extend it without it looking ugly haha:)

An interesring mod for the h100 would be to get hold of a 240mm fan (case allowing) and build o foam funnel to force the air into it:) much slower rpm(quieter) hopefully more pressure through rad:) (if that makes sense I'm not great at explaining haha)

I'm going to do some research I smell a mod project coming along:)

Those little switches can be modded to voltage controlled:) if you want ill try to find the guide I used on my old antec 3 speed ones?

As for chopping air noise I'd try the tunnel depends how far you can extend it without it looking ugly haha:)

An interesring mod for the h100 would be to get hold of a 240mm fan (case allowing) and build o foam funnel to force the air into it:) much slower rpm(quieter) hopefully more pressure through rad:) (if that makes sense I'm not great at explaining haha)

I'm going to do some research I smell a mod project coming along:)

Washers and foam tunneling was my pet project last night-- It helped! Man these things are loud, though :( I'll deal haha.

In other news, I let Prime run until this morning (23 ish hours) and my OC is complete! Woot :D

Glad to hear it:) got a picture to share?

23 hours:) no errors?

Haha, I'll take a pic when I get home (Its pretty terrible as a temporary solution). Yep, no errors :D Its running again, with RAM clocked much higher-- We'll se how that goes :attn:

I've decided to try my funnel idea with my triple rad when my 3930k comes:)

I considered it, but I don't have any larger fans laying around here (And dont' really wanna buy one at the moment :() It sounds solid, though haha

My wife actually jumped when my fans kicked into full speed this morning before work- The tunnel probably cut 10+Db, but it went from F-15 jet to Main street during rush hour :bang head

Haha that's terrible:( well a 10db loss is considerable.

I'm struggling to think of any other way to quieter those beasts. Are they metal or plastic blades?

If metal you could try altering the wings shape should reduce the cutting noise:)

If plastic you'd need a good heat gun and hope the plastics malleable.

Have a look at these for inspiration.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...jC8rA0QWvvID4DQ&ved=0CEEQ8wIwBQ#hsec:overview

Huge curves in the fan blades reduce the "chopping" noise.

Could be a risk of putting the fan out of balance if your not careful though.

Maybe I should start buying suitable products rather than changing things to suit my needs haha.

I considered it, but I don't have any larger fans laying around here (And dont' really wanna buy one at the moment :() It sounds solid, though haha

My wife actually jumped when my fans kicked into full speed this morning before work- The tunnel probably cut 10+Db, but it went from F-15 jet to Main street during rush hour :bang head

Try this Anonaru - worked for me when I was using H80:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716889

Those temps are with Enermax Magma UC-MA12 fans. (Almost silent)

Never considered doing that. Is it safe?

Gorgeous job though hell of a lot shinier than my ek waterblock was haha:)

The cpu lid is a lot thicker than you think it is.

And they are both copper surfaces with just thermal goop between them, I don't think they can corrode. Nothing on mine anyway

The cpu lid is a lot thicker than you think it is.

And they are both copper surfaces with just thermal goop between them, I don't think they can corrode. Nothing on mine anyway

This is my next project, then. If I can get a few degrees out of this, I may be able to slip my much higher quality, quiet fans back in place. (I had some silent fans before, but the ones I strapped on from work have a HUGE CFM haha)

Edit: Or, if this nets a large enough temp drop, I can perhaps shoot for the elusive 5 GHz barrier? >=D

If you can hit the 5ghz mark at a good temp I might just throw away my custom loop and get a h100 haha.

Good shout on the lapping:) I never realised how thick the copper on the cpu is. Cheers might have a practise run with my old 955

Safe? LOL, yes and no.. this voids the warranty, and you can kill your CPU if you are not careful. De-lidding your CPU isnt for the feint of heart IMO.

Oops! You can still kill it lapping, but holy cow do you have sand away the IHS to do so, LOL!

Lapping also voids the warranty. I dont think I have bothered on any of my CPUs...my thought process was wow, Im now loading at 70C instead of 75C. Meh. The difference wasnt worth it to me to void the warranty.

Oops! You can still kill it lapping, but holy cow do you have sand away the IHS to do so, LOL!

Lapping also voids the warranty. I dont think I have bothered on any of my CPUs...my thought process was wow, Im now loading at 70C instead of 75C. Meh. The difference wasnt worth it to me to void the warranty.

Mm.. I'll practice on my old Deneb then. I'm not too worried about killing the proc, I'm not afraid of getting experience this way. Will be a bit harder considering I have 900 pins to babysit but meh :p

Back